R

Saturday, December 16th, 2023 10:56 PM

Closed

xfinity won't authorize streaming of espn/tcm through roku

I have an xfinity subscription with sports and entertainment package. In the past two weeks, Xfinity refuses to authorize streaming on ESPN and TCM through my Roku. I get the 'please authorize this channel' message, go to the website and enter the code...but then when it asks me to pick my television provider, and I sign in with my Xfinity user name and password, I get an error message (at login.xfinity.com) that says This network is not included in your current Xfinity TV service. Yet both ESPN and TCM ARE in my current service, and I can watch them through the set-top box; I just want to be able to stream things on my schedule. I have been able to stream espn and tcm through the roku for years; it's only in the past two weeks that Xfinity refuses to authorize the streaming. What has changed? Please fix this. I spent an hour on the phone with a nice customer service agent who clearly didn't understand the problem.

1 Message

9 months ago

I have the same problem only the error message "Authorization for this content failed" Problem only started 24-48 hours ago. I am able to login to Xfinity website and then stream TCM from TCM.com website but Roku does not work. And yes, I tried deleting, rebooting and reinstalling - but still cannot stream on Roku.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Hello, @user_zioi7n. Thanks for posting on our Community forums. Is this happening with our Xfinity Stream App on the Roku device? Or is it the network app (ESPN or TCM App)? Have you tried accessing the content through a different device to see if you get the same error?  

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

2 Messages

I am having the same issue with my Roku Device and it has a message that it is not authorized from my provider using the ESPN App that I have used for several years on this Roku device.  What do you recommend I do to fix this?  Did Xfinity make changes?

9 months ago

And just to clarify, the Roku is fine; we stream Netflix/YouTube/Disney+/etc with no issues whatsover, so it's not a connection problem, it's an Xfinity authentication problem.

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

Hey there /u/reluctant_subscriber Thanks so much for reaching out about these login difficulties. Am I correct in stating that this is for TCM and ESPN Apps specific to the Roku device, correct? And you were able to login previously with your Xfinity username/password? Did you have to update/change your password recently? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Yes, this is through the ESPN and TCM apps on Roku. I had been able to activate and confirm Xfinity as my TV provider with my username and password for years. I was prompted by Xfinity to change my Xfinity password at one point last week, but the error message appeared both before I changed the password and afterwards, so I don’t believe it’s tied to that. 

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

@reluctant_subscriber have you attempted to uninstall and reinstall the apps after the password change? I would also recommend a complete restart/refresh of the Roku device. 

Xfinity Janelle, just went through your recommended steps--uninstalling the ESPN and TCM apps, restart/refresh the Roku, and attempting to activate TCM and ESPN. I get the "This network is not included in your current Xfinity TV service. To add it to your service, upgrade now" message from login.xfinity.com, just as I have for the last several weeks, both before the password change that Xfinity insisted on, and now after. It is clearly an Xfinity issue. Please correct it. Thanks for your help.

Official Employee

• 

376 Messages

Hello @reluctant_subscriber! Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. Please send us a direct message with your first/last name and full address. You can start by clicking the "direct message" icon on the upper right page of the forum page. Once you click on that, input our shared handle "Xfinity Support" to send us a direct message. If you're signed in to your forums profile and because you have already posted to the public page, you should have the option to do so.

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

9 months ago

and I have a variant of this problem playing on demand movies. If i search for some movies, i.e. Sniper, Sniper 2, The golden voyage of Sindbad i can watch all this movies on PC, on iPhone, and on android tablet. But when i look for the same movies on my Roku Ultra LT media player PLAY option is unavailable and I can only rent it. Another detail is those movies coming from Sony Channel on demand. Called customer service and they said it is on xfinity side and it maybe resolved in 1 hour. Well.. 

1 Message

9 months ago

Same issue here. I can watch ScienceGO with my Xfinity account. ESPN and Vice are not permitted.

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

i just tried to play some on demand from Vice and ESPN and my roku played it

2 Messages

9 months ago

I am having the same issue viewing ESPN and this has worked for years with my xfinity account.  Why not now through my Roku????

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Thank you for letting us know, @user_vwq8c9. Let's go ahead and try removing and then reinstalling the ESPN app on your Roku device to see if it helps. Can you please try these steps:

Press the Home button on the Roku remote
Move to the right and highlight the ESPN channel
Press the Star button on the Roku remote to open the Options menu
Select Remove Channel to uninstall ESPN
Press the Home button on the Roku remote
Scroll to and select Streaming Channels
Enter “ESPN” in the Search Channels field
Highlight the ESPN channel and select Add Channel to reinstall

1 Message

just tried it after getting message that espn had access denied to my roku device. did not work. the app works on my pad. the subscription through xfinity is shown on the espn app on roku but it does not work permit access to programming.

1 Message

same issue  xfinity  sucks

1 Message

Same issue.  The only way we could find to fix it was add Xfinity Stream channel and then choose ESPN from that

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Thanks for your patience, @user_jh9vj5! As a big fan of the ESPN app, I understand the inconvenience that this can cause. I am sorry to learn about this experience. We are the perfect place to go for help. Have you tried troubleshooting the Roku device connected to your home network using the XFINITY app? The tool will run several health and diagnostic checks that will send a signal refresh to the account and assess the function you are trying to perform. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here