U

Saturday, February 3rd, 2024 8:13 PM

Xfinity menu page

I am very puzzled. I have a dilemma. I currently have Xfinity DVR that I use to record several shows each week. I also use one tv to record with my VCR as I record one show daily to keep on a VHS tape. Well, I set the tv to the channel I want to record from and a couple days a week, the Xfinity menu page shows up over the channel screen.  This causes the tv to eventually shift into screen saver mode.

My VCR will record but I will not have a picture for that channel. I will hear the sound but the screen saver picture. I have no idea how to stop this from happening. Crazy thing is, it does not do this every day. I went in and set the Xfinity so that screen saver was not supposed to kick in for like 4 hours or so? anyway, that did not seem to help.

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

6 months ago

Hi, @user_tmm2v9! Welcome to the XFINITY forums page and thank you for patiently waiting for a response for help with recording on your VCR without the screen saver. You've come to the right team for support. Just to confirm, when you set the tv to the channel you want to record, the Xfinity menu page shows up over the channel screen and causes the tv to shift into the screen-saver. This also happens before the timer is scheduled to shift to the screensaver. Does this sound correct?

8 Messages

6 months ago

Ok, when I go to watch what I have recorded on VHS every day, I will find that occasionally (maybe once or twice a week) ? not sure, I will see that the screen saver has kicked in and my taping only has audio and the screen saver screen for the picture. I have tried to figure out why this happens and when I turn my tv on, I will sometimes see that Xfinity menu shows up over the channel screen which leads me to believe that this must cause the tv to go into screen saver. 

Thanki you so much for any help you can give me as I am stumped. 

As far as the screen saver timer.....This was happening even before I had set it to not kick in for 5 hours and that did not seem to make a difference.  However, I have no idea what is happening with that regard as I have this VCR  set to record daily at 3:00 pm and the tv is turned off each evening with my channel set at 9:00 pm. So, I have no idea just when that screen saver kicks and then, this does happen every day. No rhyme or reason?

Again, thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

@user_tmm2v9 How long is the TV on for? Have you checked the settings on that box for the screen saver? Is there a reason you do not use the DVR to record the show?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

8 Messages

I turn the tv off every night at 9:00 pm after setting the channel. I did go into xfinity and found where I could specify that I did want the screen saver to kick until I think it is 5 hours as I don't think I can just say never on the screen saver. As far as why I don't use the DVR for this show. It is the only one that I tape daily and since I have several others that I record on the DVR, I don't have time to watch this particular one for sometimes a few months. I keep the VHS tape until I have time for it.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

@user_tmm2v9 While we would be unable to assist specifically with the VCR, do you receive the regular live tv and sound when the set-top box is connected directly to the television, bypassing the VCR? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

8 Messages

I'm not sure about that but I was told that one of the other tv's had the screen saver kick in a few times while he was watching his show and he just clicked exit and it brought him back to the channel with the Xfinity menu overlay. He then clicks exit and is back to his show. He is puzzled why this happens her and there.

As far as the VCR...it will simply just record what is on the screen so therefore, since the screen saver is the video this is what I get because I do have audio for my taped show.

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

user_tmm2v9, Are you able to try this out as one trouble shooting step to see if you experience the same issue on your end when bypassing the VCR?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here