mbg71's profile

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

Thursday, August 29th, 2019 5:00 AM

Closed

WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

I just received a notice from Comcast that they are removing TCM, Turner Classic Movies, from all current packages and moving it to the SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE?    What possible logic is there to that brilliant change?  TCM is widely viewed by many Comcast subscribers on their regular packages--NOT SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE!  I URGE COMCAST TO LEAVE TCM WHERE IT IS.  I am seriously considering cancelling my Comcast subscription over this.    Get real Comcast and leave TCM alone.  Seriously!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

I agree. I have the same gripe with Comcast:

One has to ask himself/herself: “What’s all this hoopla about cord-cutting??? Specifically adding TCM to a “sports package” doesn’t make sense and clearly is NOT a value to those who watch that (TCM) channel.... so WHY BOTHER even offering the channel at all if it (TCM) is such a hindrance to Comcast’s channel lineup???

My wife is nagging me to just drop ("cut the cord") Comcast as a cable tv subscriber since the ID Investigation Discovery channel had  entirely disappeared from the channel lineup. I'm getting tired of defending Comcast and giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Comcast is going to witness a backlash, the likes they have never seen before.... just sayin'.....

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

TCM is one of my husband's favorite channels. I too have hung in there with rate hikes, bad service,etc.  This is the last straw!. Tomorrow I will begin checking other companies for service. Comcast woos new customers, then treats them badly.

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

staten island Don't wonder.  It's ALWAYS about money.  

#FREETCM

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

5 years ago

Oh, you can call to complain.  And you will get the same rep you get during the week.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

This is so absurd. My bill has more than doubled and now they're pulling one of the best things. We are moving in the spring and there is NO WAY we will sign with Comcast. Just a bunch of Pirates.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Contact Tom Karishak your displeasure at moving TCM

https://www,xfinity.com/support/contact-us

Go to Tom Karishak’s picture and click on Read a Letter from Tom

on the last paragraph of his letter click on ‘contact me’

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

The reason Comcast is moving TCM to a Sports Package is simple...to make more money. If you are among the many who are justifiably upset and disturbed by this change, I suggest registering a complaint with the FCC. You purchased a service for a set price and now the terms of that "contract" have been changed. So, if new subscribers are willing to pay for the TCM/Sports Package (what a joke!), that's fine. But your complaint to the FCC should be that existing customers need to be grandfathered so that they continue to have access to TCM without paying more for additional channels they are unlikely to want. To file a complaint with the FCC, search for: FCC Consumer Complaint Center.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

In June of this year, I paid for a higher priced package which included TCM in a two year contract.  I’ve been an fan of TCM for over 20 years.  Like many others, I also don’t believe that TCM had low viewership.  I will not be upgrading my plan to a sports package when I don’t watch sports.  TCM was among basically four other channels I watch regularly on cable.  The only reason I didn’t “cut the cord” was to keep TCM.  I will be looking into downgrading my service until my contract expires.  My source for viewing old classic movies will now be Prime video, YouTube, ok.ru and other online resources.  I also have DVD and VCR collections of my favorite old movies.  Still, I’m very disappointed that Comcast made this decision. I hope it will soon be reversed. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

You have just created another cord cutter.  I am also selling the shares of comcastcast stock I inheirited.  I only invest in companies I beleive in and support. Bye. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Since Comcast has removed TMC and failed to inform all of us they were doing so, I think whoever doesn't agree with this move should request paper billing. Comcast will have to pay to generate the bill and mail it to us, and will have to pay someone to process the check sent in......this will cause them to have to hire more people...... It will also stimulate the economy, by creating more jobs.

I don't think we realize how much money we've saved Crumbcast over the years having our credit cards billed, instead of paying by check.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

@statemisland
FYI It’s not TMC, The Movie Channel, it’s TCM, Turner Classic Movies

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

Dixie Gent I agree in principle, but you can't sue someone when the contract you signed says that anything in it can be changed without notice.  Of course, no one reads them.  

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

jaymax1146   DirectV and Dish Netowrk pull the SAME thing and once you sign a contract, you're STUCK. 

Better to just cut the cord, get a Usenet account, and use Comcast's internet to access it.  Downloading from Usenet is FREE and LEGAL.  That's what I'm doing Monday morning.

#FREETCM

Contributor

• 

67 Messages

5 years ago

@ComcastAlly wrote:

Hello, mbg71. Thank you for reaching out. 

Every month, Comcast pays programmers like networks, local TV station owners and others, for the ability to bring their programming to you. We regularly review our programming and sometimes make changes to ensure we're offering a wide variety of programming at the best value. We look at a variety of factors, including customer viewership and programming costs when making these decisions. Viewership of TCM is low, as over 90% of our customers watch less than two movies per month. Given this and contractual limitations on offering TCM a la carte, we decided to move TCM to the Sports Entertainment Package, which will help us manage programming costs that are passed on to our customers while continuing to make the channel available to those who want to watch it.

We sincerely appreciate all the feedback we have received in regards to this change. This thread has now been locked from receiving new replies.

How does increasing prices increase value?

Contributor

• 

49 Messages

5 years ago

@hepuesta wrote:

It is well known and common knowledge that sports (comparatively speaking) remains as a big portion of Comcast’s revenue BUT the fact remains, sports viewership continues to decline. (I’m not going to get into a debate on here as to why sports viewership is declining… that’s an entirely different discussion). To continually invalidate and “bundle” a channel every few months (and disrespect the paying customers watching those channels) is a feeble, short-sighted attempt to maximize revenue and to rescue/support  a declining sports viewership at the expense of  “non-sports” customers. Comcast’s lucrative “sports interests” surely does NOT need “meek and insignificant” TCM to survive… (or does it?)

Outstanding post! You took the words right out of my mouth and wrote them in a much easier understood manner than I would have.

It has ALWAYS griped me when they began adding the "Regional Sports Fee" and "Broadcast TV Fee" to our bills. First, why are we forced to subsidize the numerous and varied sports interests of others? If you are a TRUE fan of a particular sport or team, pay for a package like we do from MLB.tv for the one team we are fans of? Why force everyone to pay for the others who think they are entitled to 100 channels (or whatever the number may be) of sports entertainment?

I could care less about regional sports and most likely, the vast majority of viewers in the region feel the same way but still I have to pay $8.25 a month so others can keep up with their interests.

Same goes for Broadcast TV Fee - maybe I do not quite understand this one but I could care less about getting my major networks like NBC, CBS or ABC from a local provider. Get it directly from the network, if I want local news, I will check the local broadcasting networks website or our Daughter will tell us about it. Yet another $8.75 a month and ever increasing, just like the regional sports fee.

For the Marketing geniuses at Comcast - why don't you get a focus group of over age 60 and find out what they want to watch and make a Senior Citizen Package available to them instead of continually foisting your every increasing fees, number of unwanted channels upon us?

For other Comcast subscribers with contracts - BEWARE - earlier in this thread I recall someone who was going to change their plan to just internet for $79.95 (I believe it was) but Comcast offered them a big lineup of channels for an additional $5.00 for a total of $84.95.

BEWARE: $84.95 is just the beginning - on top of that you have the $17 (or more) in Regional Sports and Broadcast TV fees + Franchise Fees - $4.36 (at least in our area) + Service to additional TV - $6.99 + Service Protection Plan - $5.95 (yes, I knowt this one is optional) - so in reality you must add another $34.30 to your monthly bill which adds up to over $400.00 additional a year...that is at least 4 weeks of groceries for my Wife and I.

From now to the time my contract is up next March I will be investing in my own infastructure, i.e., equipment necessary to cut the cord, at least for the TV. I figure saving $400 next year will more than offset any equipment investment I will make but pay me the long term dividends over the years to come.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here