mbg71's profile

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

Thursday, August 29th, 2019 5:00 AM

Closed

WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

I just received a notice from Comcast that they are removing TCM, Turner Classic Movies, from all current packages and moving it to the SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE?    What possible logic is there to that brilliant change?  TCM is widely viewed by many Comcast subscribers on their regular packages--NOT SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE!  I URGE COMCAST TO LEAVE TCM WHERE IT IS.  I am seriously considering cancelling my Comcast subscription over this.    Get real Comcast and leave TCM alone.  Seriously!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I'm so angry that Xfinity is forcing me to pay for a sports package just to watch TCM.  I don't watch sports.  This is the worst customer service ever.  I'm on  hold with Xfinity right now.  My only option is to change my channel lineup down to a less expensive option.   When my 2-year committment is over I plan to drop Xfinity including the home secutiy service.   I'm in my seventies, very non-technical and don't do well with change but there has to be a better option then Xfinity.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Time to cut the cord

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I HATE SPORTS but I want my Turner Classic Movies! Why in the world you think the two go together is beyond me! One step closer to cutting the cord!!!

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Hey guys, this is my take on this:

This is about saving Comcast/NBC (and their holdings/subsidiaries) vested interests in the “sports genre” and NOT about Comcast’s customers being given value for their money. One has to ask himself/herself: “What’s all this hoopla about cord-cutting??? Specifically adding TCM to a “sports package” doesn’t make sense and clearly is NOT a value to those who watch that (TCM) channel.... so why bother even offering the channel at all if it (TCM) is such a hindrance to Comcast’s channel lineup??? It is well known and common knowledge that sports (comparatively speaking) remains as a big portion of Comcast’s revenue BUT the fact remains, sports viewership continues to decline. (I’m not going to get into a debate of why sports viewership declining… that’s another whole different discussion). To continually invalidate and “bundle” a channel every few months (and disrespect the paying customers watching those channels) is a feeble, short-sighted attempt to maximize revenue and to rescue/support  a declining sports viewership at the expense of  “non-sports” customers. Comcast’s lucrative “sports interests” surely does NOT need “meek and insignificant” TCM to survive… (or does it? …. just sayin’….)

What do you guys think? 

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

We already paid for a yearly subscription that had TCM included in the package. How do we get a refund so we can decide if we want to pay for it or simply give all that had TCM a 9.95 credit and then add the sports package for free to their service.

Problem solved and you will not lose as many customers as you thought.  Sooner or later all will be fed up with the price gouging and actually leave.

Can anyone post on these boards a alternative to Comcast as I think many will leave given the situation and what they just did to us again.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

If TCM is not an option on my service, I will absolutely be looking for alternatives.  There is so little on without commercials and good quality these days.  TCM is the only respit to this glut of terrible TV shows on. 

I am the person in my neighborhood who convinced a5 families to stay with Comcast; I am seriously rethinking my advocacy.  

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I guess I have been living under a Rock. I didn't know of this change until this morning. Slipping TCM with sports??? Jerks. I just cut back on channels. I don't watch sports. 9.99 for old movies. now I am peeved. I already pay over $200 a month. I don't like my intellegence insulted. I have really been a proponent of cable... but they can kiss my axs. I have been wanting to sign up for Hulu I guess it's time.  

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

What's the Next Comcast Surprise???

First Cinemax programming was "moved around" without actively contacting impacted customers (I hate those kind of surprises).

• For an additional fee you can still get it.
  • In my opinion, all Comcast/Xfinity explanations provided have been lame

Now TCM programming was "moved around" without actively contacting impacted customers.

• For an additional fee, you can still get it by buying a sports package of some sort
  • In my opinion, all Comcast/Xfinity explanations provided have been lame

In my opinion, these appear to be predatory business tactics although I'm sure there's a "perfectly sound" company explanation for it.

From an analytics standpoint, I'm not buying Comcast's data analysis on percentages of people and number of times TCM is watched. Please show me the analytics and facts Comcast.

In our household:

• TCM is was on no less than a few hours per day 
  • Sports...never watched and our desire is not having those channels in our lineup 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Did TCM join Nexflix?  If so, then so shall I (rather I already have nexflix), I'll just have to watch it more.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

This is a blow to Retirees on fixed incomes and we appreciate like TCM Movies more than a lot of the other channels we do not watch. As many retirees I cannot afford the extra cost of extra Sports/Entertainment fees. Every time we pay for a two-year arrangement costs go up and that Contact is suppose to be for Two YEARS. With Xfinity1 costs close to $200 this decision is ridiculous.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Just contacted TCM.  TRhey need to know how upset people are, AND that Comast is trying to blame THEM for this action!

Frequent Visitor

• 

15 Messages

5 years ago

Cord cutting is taking a big bite out of cable revenues. This type of move however, is likely to accelerate the move away from cable since it diminishes the value of the product cable offers, and motivates users to exploere other options. The other side-effect is that it reinforces the opinion that cable companies are greedy and don't value their relationship with their customers. This compounds customer-resentment and further inspires the cusotomer to look at cord cutting.

The legal implications are also puzzling but not un-typical in the industry. If you were to sign a contract to lease a high-end car for three years at a set price per mont,h and the dealer lets you know a few months later that they are raising the payment arbitrarily, you would have recourse through your state attourney general. In this case (TCM), the analogy would be that the dealer would say you have to pay more per month or we are taking out the car's leather upholstery. In other words the product value will change unless you agree to new terms that lay outside the original contract. In most businesses this would be considred unethical to say the least.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I'm with you.  This move makes no sense.  Maybe some younger viewers don't watch TCM much, but I have been a loyal comcast customer for over 25 years through all the ups and downs.  TCM is one of the main channels I watch.  It is a sneaky and indefensible move.  On a fixed income, I've had to watch any extra expenses, and cannot afford the fee.  This is really disturbing and has given me

@mbg71 wrote:

I just received a notice from Comcast that they are removing TCM, Turner Classic Movies, from all current packages and moving it to the SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE?    What possible logic is there to that brilliant change?  TCM is widely viewed by many Comcast subscribers on their regular packages--NOT SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE!  I URGE COMCAST TO LEAVE TCM WHERE IT IS.  I am seriously considering cancelling my Comcast subscription over this.    Get real Comcast and leave TCM alone.  Seriously!

reason to look elsewhere for service.  Besides the fact that moving it, younger viewers will have limited access to Classic TV and they will not have a chance to broaden their horizons.  BAD MOVE COMCAST! 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Why would Comcast change TCM to Sports Pkg.? I don't watch sports but will have to pay for the pkg to enjoy watching TCM. I am not happy and may change my service provider.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

If TCM is not an option on my service, I will absolutely be looking for alternatives.  There is so little on without commercials and good quality these days.  TCM is the only respit to this glut of terrible TV shows on. 

I am the person in my neighborhood who convinced 15 families to stay with Comcast; I am seriously rethinking my advocacy.  

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here