greythound's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, December 1st, 2022 2:26 PM

Closed

Why are there multiple duplicate HD channels

I have seen this question asked on the forum and answered by Xfinity. I've also see that same answer echoed on Google searches, but something doesn't add up and maybe it is because I am not an internal workings of TV expert. This is what doesn't make sense to me:

"To avoid these channels going empty, your TV automatically tunes the channel space to the closest frequency and you see that the HD channels are being duplicated. "

Back in the day when the coax cable was connected directly to the TV for cable access, this made sense as it used the internal TV tuner to pull the channels. However, that is no longer the case as my TV isn’t doing anything but being a passthrough for the Xfinity cable box or Roku or any other streaming device. Therefore my TV isn’t automatically tuning anything, the device connected to it is doing that work. Consider when you connect these devices to a monitor, you can still get the channels, but there isn't a tuner in the monitor either.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 years ago

... "To avoid these channels going empty, your TV automatically tunes the channel space to the closest frequency and you see that the HD channels are being duplicated. " ...

That "explanation" is, to use the technical term, ridiculous, for the reason you point out.

The duplicate channels may be a remnant of Comcast's "Channel Neighborhoods" initiative from a few years ago, an attempt to standardize channel numbers across all their systems. They appear to have abandoned the idea. At least, the Support article that once explained the project has been taken down. It is mentioned in https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/channels-and-programming/grouped-channels/603e57dcc5375f08cdc133d1, and early last year the Support article looked like http://web.archive.org/web/20210125163130/www.xfinity.com/support/articles/new-channel-lineup.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Problem Solver

• 

672 Messages

2 years ago

@greythound Are you noticing issues when you try to tune to a specific network and tunes to the  HD version? 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here