machado22's profile

Contributor

• 

119 Messages

Sunday, February 19th, 2023 6:05 AM

Closed

Watching 4K and text on screen gets darker

Hello-I have a 4K TV and a Xfinity 4K box and whenever anything plays on 4K via the box any text on the screen suddenly gets much darker. That could be the menu, the guide or even the closed captioning. Once the program in 4K begins that seems to go away and appears normal. But why does this happen? Why when choosing to watching something in 4K the screen gets much darker when text appears on the screen?

Is it my TV? Is it the setting of the Xfinity box? If anybody here has any information or prior experience that would be very helpful.

I am talking about anything 4K via Peacock app, Amazon app, Hulu app, Paramount Plus app, etc..Very prominent when in the Amazon app because once I choose the desired 4K film, the menu features get very dark and it is difficult to read the text when I am choosing how to watch the film or choosing any setting before beginning the film. 

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

2 years ago

Thank you for reaching out. I am sorry to hear your screen goes darker when you are not watching 4K content. Have you checked your 4K HD settings? To make sure your box is set to 2160 resolution, say “device settings” into your voice remote and from there select “video display.” On X1 or Flex, if you choose to view On Demand content (for free, rental or purchase) that's available in 4K, playback will automatically default to the appropriate 4K color depth based on your TV’s capabilities.

Contributor

• 

119 Messages

@XfinityDena​ Hello, thanks for the reply. I am familiar with the settings & can confirm my box is set to the correct resolution. It reads, "you are currently set to the highest possible resolution 4K UHD HDR - 2160p60 4K UHD (Best available). Does that seem correct to you?

Official Employee

• 

540 Messages

@machado22 That is definitely correct from the cable box's end. From what I'm seeing online and within internal documents is that your issue has to deal with the pixel density and the backlight of the image when moving to 4k quality.  4k/UHD blocks a lot more of the backlight from the LEDs in TVs due to pixel density than 1080p/HD allows. That would be the reason all of your programming coming in 4k is looking so dark. You would need to disable the HDR setting on the TV for a workaround.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

119 Messages

Hello, I appreciate the answer here. Now that probably makes a lot of sense. I was unaware of the connection between the two and how the backlight could be the mail culprit. My Sony Bravia 4K tv does feature HDR and of course I enjoy that setting very much for the picture quality and the ability to watch a program or movie in 4K. Hardly makes sense to disable the setting and then not be able to enjoy the feature.

Anyway, thanks again for the knowledge and I'll see how much I can tolerate this inconvenience. 

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

You are very welcome! Our team is always here to assist you and to work together if anything comes up in the future. Take care and enjoy your TV services. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here