Opperj's profile

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, February 15th, 2023 9:48 PM

Closed

TiVo, Cablecards, Channels I am paying for and cannot receive

There are several posts about folks with Tivos using cablecards that, like me, found that their favorite channel(s) that they were receiving fine are now showing up as black screens.  Seems that in some cases the SD version of the channel works but not the HD version.  In some cases there is no SD version of a channel so we are, in effect, paying for a channel that has been taken away with no recompense.  I dont not have an analysis at this point but it is more than a dozen in my case.  My local Xfinity Store seems to have no clue about what this is yet the Xfinity website and the TiVo site make reference to a digital tuning adapter that addresses this issue.  Seems these channels either were converted to IP channels or always were IP channels and the current Comcast cablecards cannot decode or handle them.  As a result, all Tivos with cablecards cannot receive these IP channels.  In my case, several of the channels I was watching were converted sometime this past year to IP and I, in effect, lost them.  No notice, no discussion and no concern.  So my attempts to discuss this and politely ask for a digital tuning adapter to address the problem are met with confusion, attempts to give me the wrong piece of equipment, suggestions that I just use one of their less functional DVR boxes or have a technician visit my home.  THIS IS RIDICULOUS!  Why can we not just have a better cable card or just simply have someone say - Oh sorry, here is the DTA you need to address the problem with simple instructions to attach it.  That would earn some good will and show a little customer concern.  Do I have this issue described correctly and please tell me someone had a positive solution that we can cite and get this matter settled.

Problem Solver

• 

730 Messages

1 year ago

From what I have read, a DTA won't work with IP channels. DTAs work with Switched Digital Video (SDV), and not Switched IP Video (SIPV). SDV is what U-Verse uses - instead of sending all of the channels at once, it only sends the one(s) you need.

A number of TiVo owners have asked about how to get Comcast's IP channels to show up on CableCards, and the answers tend to be (a) you can't, and (b) be glad you can still get any channels at all; Comcast may be about to roll out a major upgrade that makes them useless.

Keep in mind that "a better CableCard" probably wouldn't work with any TiVos that exist today; I know I had an older TiVo that would not support cards that had more than one tuner in them.

Problem Solver

• 

311 Messages

1 year ago

Hello @Opperj we appreciate you reaching out to our Forums' Community with your Tivo concerns, we understand the frustration and would like a chance to assist.

Can you please verify the number channels that have been impacted on your end?

Problem Solver

• 

730 Messages

@XfinityFelicia​ - I have a similar problem; the channels I am mainly interested in are 1128 (C-SPAN HD) and 1129 (C-SPAN 2 HD).

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

I cannot see 1429 or 1620 for example.

Problem Solver

• 

743 Messages

@Opperj These are most likely IP channels, and would require a cable box or using the Stream app to access. We can certainly send you a cable box if you'd prefer to access your channels that way. Could you please send us DM with your first and last name and your full address?

• Click “Sign In” if necessary
  • Click the “Direct Messaging” icon or https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging
  • Click the “New message” pencil and paper icon
  • The “To:” line prompts you to “Type the name of a person”. Instead, type “Xfinity Support” there
  • - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select “Xfinity Support” from that list
  • - An “Xfinity Support” graphic replaces the “To:” line
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send it

I no longer work for Comcast.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

And how would I use a cable box with all of my existing TiVo DVR equipment?  Is this another charge or is it available at no additional cost?

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

352 Messages

That is a great question. That all depends on what type of account you have, and also the package associated. Please send us a DM, and we can further look into these options together. Thank you!

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

83 Messages

1 year ago

Doesn’t TiVo use the same cable cards as the X1 box’s ?

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here