U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, April 9th, 2022 10:26 PM

Closed

Ongoing glitching issue, plus frequently temporarily unavailable channels - XRE-03059 error)

We have been experiencing months of pixelizing problems on a variety of channels. Comcast recommending swapping out our cable box, which we did, but that didn't solve the problem. Our internet seems fine, OnDemand is also fine, so the issue is not with our cables.  It doesn't matter if we're watching live shows or recording them, the pixelization is there every day. Additionally, we frequently find that channels become temporarily unavailable (XRE-03059 error). We're paying an awful lot for pretty much no cable service. Has anyone come up with a fix?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 years ago

We have been experiencing months of pixelizing problems on a variety of channels. ...

Pixelation happens when the signal for the channel you are trying to watch is too weak or has too much noise. This might be because of a bad cable box or a problem at Comcast (check https://www.xfinity.com/support/status/, 1-800-Comcast voice response, or the "My Account" app) but is most likely due to a poor connection between the box and Comcast's network, usually in or near your home.

Troubleshoot by checking all connectors for corrosion and tightness, and by looking for damaged coax cable. Running the cable through a surge protector, a defective splitter, or too many splitters can cause signal problems as well. If there is an amplifier in the line make sure it's getting power. You might also try unplugging the cable box/DVR/digital adapter power cord for a minute or so.

If you can't find the problem or you'd rather have Comcast take care of it, call them at the phone number on your bill or 1-800-Comcast, or use one of the options on https://www.xfinity.com/support/contact-us/. Ask them to check the account setup and send a refresh signal to the box. If they can't fix the problem remotely, insist they send a tech out to identify the cause and correct it.

If the tech finds bad coax, splitters, amplifiers, or connections in your home (even if Comcast originally supplied them) you'll probably have to pay for the visit unless you have their Service Protection Plan (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/service-protection-plan, closed to customers that don't already have it). If the trouble is due to a faulty Comcast cable box/DVR/digital adapter or anything outside your home, you shouldn't be charged.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@BruceW​ it's not the cables or connections. When trying to watch "live", the channel pixelizes, but when I watch the replay at night/early morning the picture is perfect.   Also, all on demand content is fine.    Many of my channels (that I could watch before, return the XRE-03059 error).

Is there a reason that at different times of the day the picture is clear?    What about the temporarily unavailable channels that don't work?

Any other thoughts?

Problem Solver

• 

1.4K Messages

@user_5bab2f Hello and thank you for reaching out. I agree with @BruceW​, it sounds like it is an issue with the cables, but I would like to look further into this and see if I can see signal issues. 

Please send a private message by clicking the direct messaging chat icon in the upper right corner of the page, click on the pen and paper icon, then enter “Xfinity Support” in the “To” section. Please include your name and address and I'll be happy to help.

I no longer work for Comcast.

Contributor

• 

107 Messages

2 years ago

Have the same issue and I’m reading it more and more from others too. Close to trying streaming tv like YouTube tv or Hulu live tv. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I, too, am having this issue, namely with Bravo, TLC and the Food Network.  It is not the cable or the box,  it happens of three different tv's in three different rooms.  I pay way too much to not be able to get even one channel.  On Demand is fine, but the DVR records the pixelated shows.

Recognized Contributor

• 

238 Messages

@user_13ad69 I can see how it would be frustrating having the issues on these three channels (or any) particularly, because they are among my favorites. Your main box, the DVR, could be an issue causing pixilation on the other boxes. Typically the DVR contains the tuners that the other boxes run off. Think of it like a radio station broadcasting a signal (the DVR) and the other boxes being the radio in your car picking up that signal. If there is an issue with the connection to the DVR then there may be issues with all of the boxes.

Have you had any issues with your internet or have you been able to check the connection to the DVR? We have a great website that can help you check your services and troubleshoot the issue. Often running through troubleshooting on our Status Center website will resolve the issue.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

We are having this same issue! We are able to watch prime video etc with no issues but when watching TV it starts randomly glitching mostly at night. We had a tech come out and send a new box, that didn't solve the problem. He said if it didn't solve the problem he would send a wifi extender. I'm not feeling confident that this will resolve. We are also only experiencing the issue on one TV

Problem Solver

• 

1.1K Messages

@user_7a5262 Thank you for reaching out to the Digital Care Team. If the technician recommended an extender, then the TV with the issue is too far for a good signal. This is not an issue with the service, but rather the distance. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@user_7a5262​  Why would he send a wifi extender when the tv is connected to the cable box which is connected to a cable line. I have the same issue and have read through hundreds of these. It happens when a ton of people are watching the same program. The information is compressed through the cable and it is not handling the information. They will never tell you that. I am going to try and run a direct line from the cable box to the main TV box. Maybe try that? Good luck. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@XfinityHeather​ that’s interesting because my tv is plugged directly into the cable which is plugged directly into the cable box which is plugged directly into the wall to the line that runs into the house.  What, exactly, is it too far away from?

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@user_6dec28​ We have our cable from the wall to the box to the tv and have the same problem. Has comcast given any info around what THEY need to do to fix the problem?

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

Hi there @user_4ebe41!  Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to Xfinity Support with Digital Care here on our Community Forum.  We are so glad to hear from you and want to help in any way that we can to ensure you are having the best experience with your service.  No worries!  You have reached out to the right team, and we are going to get things taken care of for you.  Please feel free to shoot us a private message with your full name and service address so that we can take a closer look at what's going on.  

To send a "direct message" / "private message" message to Xfinity Support:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message" icon or https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging 

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

•  - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

•  - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here