U

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, August 16th, 2021 5:53 PM

Closed

Can I connect an Xfinity TV box to my XFi Gateway via ethernet and receive cable programming

Hi, I have a room in my house that I'd like to put a TV in and have access to our Xfinity cable programming.  However, there is no existing coax. to that room.  But the room does have an ethernet port that is connected via switch to my coax connected Xfinity Gateway modem/router.  My question is can I hardwire connect an Xi6 TV box via that ethernet port to my gateway and get my cable programming?  I know the Xi6 is also Wifi enabled but I question the strength of my wifi signal in this particular basement room hence why I want to hardwire via ethernet.  Another user had a similar question in the forum about a year ago but responses were conflicting which is why I am asking again.

Accepted Solution

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Hi Again,

I found the answer to my own question.  It is "Yes", you can attach a wifi Xi6 Tv box via ethernet cable to your Xfinity Gateway modem/router and achieve greater throughput if your wifi signal is sketchy at the Xi6 location.  So there you go.  Cheers!

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

3 years ago

Hi, @user_3503ef! Welcome to the XFINITY forums page. We thank you for your time and patience while waiting for a response. We appreciate you greatly for using this outlet to ask a video service question such as this. You have reached the perfect virtual door to knock on for seeing if you can use the Xi6 set-top box via an ethernet connection to your gateway. After further research, I am seeing that this set-top box is actually a wireless box so you can actually connect it wirelessly to your Wifi network instead of using an ethernet cord. How does this sound?

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@XfinityGabriel Hi, thank you for the response.  But the issue is more that I don't get great WiFi reception in the location of the Xi6 TV box to support a hi res TV.  So the question was really CAN I connect via ethernet which would give me sufficient download capacity.  So saying I can connect via WiFi doesn't answer my question.  But thanks for the effort and reply. : )

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

@user_3503ef, I'm glad you were able to track down that answer. The great news is that you can connect our awesome wireless boxes via ethernet, so in your scenario that would work out nicely. We also offer xFi Pods that can help extend your connection if you'd like to open that part of your home up to a wireless connection. Either way, we got you covered with our top-notch equipment and convention way to get connected. Did you already order a new cable box or need help with getting one ordered? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Yes, it is "awesome" that I can connect via ethernet. :)  I do in fact already use Pods to extend range in the house and they work pretty well I have to admit.  I got the Xi6 box and it's working well with the hardwire connection.  

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Fantastic! Is there anything else I can help you with this evening?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here