U

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, September 12th, 2022 2:02 AM

Closed

Cable is so far behind others

TLDR version of my issue is that I have several group chats with friends about sports, and my cable has recently lagged so far behind theirs. They send text messages about plays happening 20-30 seconds before I even see it (some even have Xfinity). I don’t stream either. This is a cable plugged directly into the coax wall plate. 

This is a fairly recent issue. What gives?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

2 years ago

Over the air is always the fastest. The signal will be slower with splitters, length of cable, type of television, setting used on the TV, age of cable in your neighborhood, amount of traffic using your local cable.  This has always been the case since TV's were invented.  No way to sync all tv's even in your home. 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Y’all the issue is this is a fairly recent occurrence and it’s not a trivial delay, like you’d come to expect here and there. There have been times in the past when I’ve been on the phone with someone, and I hear something happening 5-10 seconds before it happens in my TV. However, right now, my friends are seeing plays (on the very same cable provider) a full half minute before me… whereas before we’d experience them at nearly the same exact time — no variables have changed.

Problem Solver

• 

1.4K Messages

@user_JWCU Thank you for the details. As mentioned, there are many different factors that could contribute to the delay you are experiencing. Have you tried to reboot your equipment, check your cables, or do any other type of troubleshooting to see if that changes anything?

I no longer work for Comcast.

Contributor

• 

637 Messages

@XfinityAbbie​ I have seen several posters say to "reboot" the box to try to troubleshoot extended problems.

Doesn't the nightly update accomplish the same thing?

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hi there @tbill1, some networks sometimes add like a a 15-30 seconds delay. They do this in order to be able make any editing they might have to do if something happens and is not suitable for audience. I know that sports channels do this all the time. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

637 Messages

@XfinityRoberto​  HI, You didn't address my question about rebooting.  BTW,   censoring live TV is usually a 7 second delay..not 30

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@tbill1 You can certainly try rebooting but it is not uncommon for there to be a delay as we mentioned previously. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here