jillcam2969's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, November 20th, 2020 12:00 PM

Closed

Bristol County MA- no longer have WCVB!!

I was just informed that as of Dec 22nd, we will not have access to Channel 5 -WCVB and will be switched to WLNE ABC 6 in Providence.  This is absolutely crazy!!!  I have watched WCVB news for over 30 years, why in the heck would I want to watch a Providence news station??  I live in Massachusetts and want Massachusetts news!! Just because we are close to the RI border, does not make me a Rhode Islander. 

Actually, this is just the chance I have been waiting for to get off my butt and start looking at streaming options.  I am not paying over $200 a month, to have my favorite station being taken away.  Just so mad right now!!!!

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I feel the same way! What can we do about it? I'd drop COMCAST over this, honestly! I've watched WCVB for 35 years, and don't want to watch RI news.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I would also contact WCVB so they can let viewers know Bristol County know to contact Comcast.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I agree!

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Already did - here's their repsose:

Thank you for reaching out. 

We are aware of the notice that Comcast has begun to send to their viewers in Bristol County.

Comcast has made a business decision to remove us from their lineup.  To be clear, we have offered them the right to carry our station but they have declined. 

Unfortunately, because Bristol County is not in our defined market area we don't have the ability to force them to carry WCVB.

As always, we remain available for free over-the-air to viewers and on other pay TV providers.

Thank you again for reaching out to me so quickly.  If I hear of any changes in Comcast's position, I will be sure to let you know.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Verizon fios is dropping them too. The same date as Comcast

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Being less than 20 miles from Boston and not have Boston local news in our DMA should not be allowed.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Who determines that people who live in Bristol County,Massachusetts are part of the Providence Rhode Island market. This makes no sense at all.

Myself and the majority of other households in Bristol County,Ma watch Boston stations and have for years.

WCVB in Boston is a far superior station to any station out of Providence,R.I..

So for a minimal fee paid by Comcast you are going to alienate thousands of customers by dropping WCVB for the Providence affiliate,which no one in Massachusetts wants to watch.

Our Comcast bill continues to rise no matter what so Comcast could at the minimum provide stations like WCVB to there loyal (for now) customers.

Do the right thing or risk losing thousands of customers.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Please explain the decision for dropping wcvb from Bristol county Massachusetts and assuming Massachusetts residents would be okay with a Rhode Island channel alternative? Don't you want to know local and state news? I do!! Due to covid I'm not allowed in RI without quarantine, why would I want to watch that channel? I loose local news and chronicle.

HORRIBLE 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

3 years ago

Broadcast stations have Designated Market Areas. You are in the RI DMA. That station can force out-of-market stations off of cable/satellite systems. Comast must comply with the law when told to not offer an out-of-market station.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

That is simply not accurate. Comcast has chosen not to pays fee to Wcvb as was stated in its own message to subscribers.You could at least post an honest answer.It is not tv stations that force other tv stations of off cable. That is ridiculous . So I repeat as a long time Comcast customer in Massachusetts I am asking Comcast to pay to carry Wcvb. This is a Boston station and I watch Boston stations not Providence.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

3 years ago

Broadcast stations have Designated Market Areas. You are in the RI DMA. That station can force out-of-market stations off of cable/satellite systems. Comast must comply with the law when told to not offer an out-of-market station.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

@andyross wrote:

WCVB has "significantly viewed" status in Bristol County. This isn't a matter of WLNE in Providence trying to force WCVB off the lineup. Since WCVB is considered "significantly viewed" per the FCC, the channel here can be carried on cable without any restrictions or blocking of network programming.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I have been told that the Mass. Dept. of Telecommunications is the place we should flood with a ground swell of letters. The DTC website is www.mass.gov/DTC.

It bothers me that Xfinity chose to drop this on us whils everything is in turmoil. They put in an email but not where you could easily see it, on a weekend, just before Thanksgiving. This gives a short week to try to get some action started when all the politicians are very busy.

From what I hear, this was fought over 10 years ago during another channel realignment, apparently, they gave at that time.

Send your letters and emails, but don't stop there. Call all of our representatives in government, US and local.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

We cannot get Channel 10 Boston. Now was notified we won't be getting Channel 5 anymore. It is impossible to talk to someone in customer service. It is forcing is to go with another carrier.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

3 years ago

@Ellengallaghe wrote: Please explain the decision for dropping wcvb from Bristol county Massachusetts ...

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/neighboring-local-tv-stations-no-longer-available says:

On December 22, 2020, we'll be removing some TV stations from neighboring markets. This is because the owner of the station from the neighboring market is insisting we pay additional fees to continue to carry their station in your area.

It's all about $$$.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here