U

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, December 10th, 2022 12:28 AM

Closed

Scam Offering Xfinity Promotion

Today I received a call regarding an Xfinity promotion.  The caller id came up as Xfinity and the offer was to reduce my monthly amount to $90.00 per month.  I answered the call and spoke to the person because I had been trying to change my TV package due to a 20% increase in my monthly bill.  I was skeptical so the caller had me call back to "Xfinity" billing department.  When I did I listened carefully and they had the exact answer recording you normally get when you call Xfinity right down to the choices etc.  It turns out that the caller today was a scammer.  The $90 per month rate had to be paid for 6 months in advance and was supposed to be an offer sponsored by Target which could only be available if either paid by Target gift card or applying for a Target credit card.  I have lost $540. due to this scam.  The more troubling point is that the scammer new all the details about my account and how much my current and prior bill were in addition to other information about my account.  It cannot be a coincidence that I was speaking just yesterday to an Xfinity customer service agent when I called through the Xfinity number about my billing and changing my TV package in order to reduce my monthly payment.  That agent offered zero help and if fact attempted to trap me into adding mobile to my account at an added fee.  He sent a quote which I got and am pretty sure is legitimately from Xfinity but I turned down the offer on the phone and the called ended with that agent pretty poorly.  Should Xfinity look at the possibility that there is some insider connection to some of the scams that are happening?

Official Employee

• 

933 Messages

1 year ago

@user_19cfc5 Comcast takes security issues seriously and is committed to protecting our customers and other consumers against fraud and identity theft.

I am very sorry to hear about that Target scam. The very best team to report that issue to is our Customer Security Assurance group. You can reach them either at https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse/ or contact them directly at 1-888-565-4329 8:00am - 12:00am EST, 7 days a week. 

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

1 year ago

@user_19cfc5 

Have you gotten a call claiming to be from Comcast asking you to buy gift cards or paying upfront for six months or more in exchange for 50% off your bill?  If so, the FTC is well aware of this scam.  If you get a call like this you can report it to     https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/
Please help to stop the spread of this kind of fraud.
Thanks!

Visitor

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

Today June 2, 2023 I too was explained about the same scam explained in your post.  The subject was odd and and to good to be true.

After being given the detailed information I hung up and googled xfinity about promotions with Target.  All the posts began to show up.

I called the Xfinity customer security assurance group at Xfinity and reported all the information given me along with a billing number

during the scam conversation. My question to Xfinity is why not post the scam on there website and warn the general public as I am

sure alot of people have loss large amounts of money and mostly the elder population was probably targeted.  The response it was probably

a good idea.   If you are a large company and are making thousands of dollars with cable with the US population it is Xifinitys responsibility to

step up and warn there customers of the scam as it appears it has been going on for a while and scammers are real good in changing there strategy

Visitor

• 

1 Message

11 months ago

Today June 6, 2023 I also received a voicemail which turned out to be the same scam. The promotion seemed suspicious, so after calling the number in the voicemail, I googled and found these posts about this Xfinity/Target gift card scam and so was able to avoid getting scammed. Apparently, there have been many posts in the Xfinity forum about this issue for over a year.

Like the original poster, two days ago I had also contacted Xfinity about options for reducing my rate, since my two-year promotion had just ended and my rate had increased by 40%. They also knew my exact balance for this month and paid it as part of the supposed promotion (I received a confirmation text from Xfinity and a payment from an unknown checking account have been submitted). Other Xfinity forum posts mentioned being charged a returned check fee by Xfinity when that payment was rejected for insufficient funds. I’m sure that this will happen to me as well. 

It seems that someone inside Xfinity must be working with the scammers in order to have this level of detail about my account. It seems like they were able to access my account without using my login information, since I had two factor authentication enabled. I am very concerned that Xfinity is not able to protect the account information despite many posts about this problem for over a year.

I had immediately reported the details to Xfinity Customer Security Assurance. They said that they were aware of this problem and that it was being investigated, but were unable to say what specific actions have been taken to address this problem, or how the scammers are accessing the account information though this problem has been reported for over a year. 

Many people have been getting scammed.  Xfinity needs to find a solution and warn its customers about this problem!

1 Message

I had the same experience. The scammers called and left voice mail when I was away on vacation. 

I became suspicious after awhile since the offer was too good to be true. I was blessed with enlightenment and Googled xfinity and target gift card promotion.

I found this site and quite a few articles regarding this scam!!!

I called xfinity support to report this scam. I am disappointed that xfinity has not been forthcoming regarding this issue. 

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hi there @user_27ed9d!  Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to Xfinity Support here on our Community Forum.  We are so glad to hear from you and happy to help in any way that we can with this issue.  Please feel free to shoot us a private message so that we can get started.  

To send a "direct message" / "private message" message to Xfinity Support:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message" icon or https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging 

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

•  - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

•  - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

11 months ago

I've had 3 of these calls already today. A friendly female voice "welcome to Xfinity" bla bla bla. They seem to originate from area code 612 where I used to live and still have an 'inactive' Xfinity account. Xfinity never truly 'closes' accounts because it must look good to the shareholders. On the last call, I pressed 0 to speak with a representative. Someone did answer but it was extremely garbled and sounded like the old boiler rooms in third-world countries. I told the garbled voice(s) not to call the number again. And, of course, was hung up on. I never, ever, give any telephone solicitation a chance for anything. But now I realize this may not be xfinity. It is scammers taking advantage of the fact that xfinity spams its customers.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

10 months ago

if someone lost money from this scam, can a lawyer help them get their money back or not?

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

@user_03b121​ 

if someone lost money from this scam, can a lawyer help them get their money back or not?

I'm not a lawyer but I would say probably not.  Ever hear "caveat emptor"?  "Let the buyer beware."

If you have gotten a call claiming to be from Comcast asking you to buy gift cards or paying upfront for six months or more in exchange for 50% off your bill the FTC is well aware of this scam.  If you get a call like this you can report it to:     https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/
Thanks!

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

2 Messages

Report it to target.   They may give you the money back.   The scammer may not have used the gift card yet.   They know about the scam…Also call your credit card company.   American Express always takes care of this kinda stuff. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

10 months ago

I had the same thing happen to me.  I’m glad I did an internet search before heading out to buy the gift card.  

2 Messages

@kbrown333​ This happened to me too.  They paid my bill off first but I am waiting for the downfall.   I bought the gift cards but got extremely suspicious when I called them back and didn’t give them the info on the cards.   I hung up.   Target refunded the gift cards since they hadn’t been used.   

1 Message

10 months ago

I just got a very similar call but being a very cautious person I figured it was way too good to be true

1 Message

9 months ago

I also got a call last night and it seemed legitimate.  Thankfully, I thought to look up the target xfinity promotion.  I called xfinity and reported it but I’m angry because they may not know who these scammers are but they have the power to prevent the scammers from getting so much of our information to be believable.  The scammers are getting our info from Xfinity’s IVR billing system.  All Xfinity has to do is shut it off and have actual customer service reps take payments over the phone until these scammers are caught.  Xfinity makes billions of dollars off of all of us so they could afford to pay actual humans to handle billing until this scam can be eliminated. Furthermore, the whole reason scammers can even get our phone data to go through IVR is because every company we do business with sells our data to whomever is willing to pay for it.  If xfinity really cared about our security, they’d first off, be a trailblazer and actively choose to NOT sell our data to any 3rd parties and then they’d use some of their billions to lobby Congress to pass laws to protect our data and put laws into place that aggressively punish those who abuse our data.  

3 Messages

9 months ago

I received a voicemail about a promotion with Xfinity/Comcast and to call them at [Edited: "Personal Information"]. I spoke with someone who said I could get my current my monthly cost to $125 per month for the next 3 years. They knew my account information, address, phone number. This is what made it believable to me, they credited my account by $10, asked me to check it, which I did and there was a $10 credit on 08/18/2023. They said they’re doing a promotion with Target and I’d pay Target by buying 4 - $250  (totaling $1000) of Target gift cards and calling them in to verify the purchase. If I did it within two hours I’d get a $100 gift card. I went to Safeway to buy the cards. I called them and gave them all of the information for each card except for one, because it was illegible. They told me that I’d get a check tomorrow for $250 for that card and to go get another one, which I did, but I went to a different store. About an hour later, I received multiple text messages from different numbers stating there was a problem with my Target payment and to call them at [Edited: "Personal Information"] or [Edited: "Personal Information"]. I called and they told me I needed to go buy another $1000 worth of gift cards, because they I got the cards from multiple stores, so they’re all voided. It was a new system, so they weren’t aware of this policy until now. They said I needed to go to any nearby store and by 3 cards, two for $400 and one for $200. At that point I realized that I had been scammed. It’s convincing when they can get into your account. I would think that Comcast should be extremely concerned about its customers. I’m thinking about looking elsewhere for tv entertainment after this whole experience.

(edited)

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

@user_ede783​ 

If you have gotten a call claiming to be from Comcast asking you to buy gift cards or paying upfront for six months or more in exchange for 50% off your bill the FTC is well aware of this scam.  If you get a call like this you can report it to:     https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/
Thanks!

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

3 Messages

I have, and I’ve noticed you guys twice! Today, the scammers managed to make a $300 payment to Xfinity through my auto-pay! They also tried calling me from the [Edited: "Personal Information"] and they left text messages stating:

We regret to inform you that your services will be interrupted and $300 penalty charges have been charged from your card on file. Kindly call the billing department at [Edited: "Personal Information"] / [Edited: "Personal Information"]  to resolve the problem.

Regards,
XFINITY

These scammers have access to the auto-pay! I removed and canceled my debit card! There needs to be an internal investigation. How are these people able to access my account information! 

(edited)

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

@user_ede783​ 

I'm sorry, but you cannot post those numbers here.

1 Message

scammer are you using the following numbers -[Edited: "Personal Information"] and [Edited: "Personal Information"]..

(edited)

1 Message

9 months ago

Hi, I just had the same happen to me, the scammers knew all customer data - phone numbers, address, xfinity account numbers, monthly payment as well as how i pay my monthly fees (so my credit card that is on file with Xfinity). This is quite outrageous. Will need to report to the FTC. If anyone is reading this from the Xfinity team - please give me a call on the phone number you have on file for me. [Edited: Personal Information].  

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hello @User_petat10, yikes, I would be pretty concerned if I had a phone call like that as well, so I completely understand why you're reaching out. Have you by chance reached out to our Customer Security Assurance team? They're a dedicated team we have for this very thing, so you'd be in great hands with them. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

@User_petat10​ 

The FTC also has a great webpage on Scams.  Please check it out as well.
Thanks!

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I had received several call leaving messages on cell and house phone from xfinintiy and was curious because bill has increased yearly with no way to talk with them unless going into office. it was and offer to good to be true so I went on line and here it was . Thank you to all for sending this message about this scam. it is so tempting.  xfiniinity bills are making it almost impossible to continue much longer.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here