Xfinity Support's profile

Official Employee

• 

60 Messages

Thursday, December 7th, 2023 3:21 PM

Xfinity Password Guidance for Account and Information Security

As part of our commitment to our customers, we may at times require you to update your password for account protection.  

When resetting your password, be mindful of the following:   

• The Primary account holder can request a mobile number or non-Comcast email address be added to the account for password recovery. 
  • If you don't have a mobile phone number or a personal (non-Comcast) email address listed on your account, you can reset your password by connecting to your home Xfinity WiFi network and visiting xfinity.com/password
    • From there, select “Verify another way” to use your service address, Social Security Number (SSN), and birth date to verify your account and change your password. 
  • If you are a Manager, Member or Viewer on an account and are unable to change your password because you don’t have a mobile number or email address on the account, you’ll need the Primaryaccount holder to make the change for you or you can reset your password while connected to your in-home Xfinity Internet connection.
    • After your password has been reset and you're able to get into your account, please add your mobile number and/or email address, so you can handle your own password recovery going forward. 
  • If you’re stuck in a password reset loop (continual requests to update, even after you’ve entered new login information), clear cache and cookies on your browser to resolve the issue. See instructions for:  
  • If you use a third-party email program for Xfinity email, such as Outlook, Apple Mail, Gmail, etc., you will also need to update your Xfinity password on those programs.  
  • To add a further layer of security to your account, enable multifactor authentication. 
  • If you use the same password for multiple accounts, we recommend changing them. Reusing passwords increases the risk of a security compromise. 

See Changing or resetting your password for more information.   

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

8 Messages

5 months ago

I have done everything on phone and computer.

1 Message

xfinity keeps asking me too frequently to change my password, even days after I have changed it.  And always asks for a new password when using a different computer, laptop, or iPad......    terrible....do I have to stop using xfinity and switch to Yahoo or AOL?

Regular Visitor

• 

9 Messages

My record:
iPhone password changes
3/10, 11, 13, 14, 30, 31,    4/1, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9,
14 times

Mac password changes
3/10, 11, 13, 14, 30, 31 
6 times

8 Messages

5 months ago

This doesn't work and this is unacceptable that I cannot access my email! It was a primary account on another address that fir some [Edited: "Language"] reason could not be attached to my new address and also could not add phone because it's associated with new location! I have now been on hold for over 1 1/2 to get a human being on the phone!!!! I also had the text 4 people I worked with to put in a ticket so I would get a call on Monday NO CALL NOTHING! I am over this will be looking to change providers this is unacceptable! I was waiting for important emails that are time sensitive! UNACCEPTABLE 

(edited)

5 Messages

Don't hold your breath on a response. LOL. they could care less about their customers. They know it's difficult to change providers so they have no real incentive to give any real service,

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

5 months ago

Things are getting worse.  Originally I couldn't access one email because that wasn't a phone number linked to it.  I went to the Xfinity store and the person couldn't override the system.  He suggested that I call tech support and ask for a live person.  After battling the automated system, I finally got through.  She tried but couldn't override the system.  She said that I should call a number.  It had over an hour wait so I will have to call back later.  Now Xfinity won't let me on the system at all.  It puts up an error message below when I try to log onto xfinity.  I was looking through my xfinity papers.   Much to my surprise, 8 years ago I was assigned an email by an xfinity tech that was installing equipment when I moved.  I haven't used the email even once since but it is my primary email with a user name.  Unfortunately now I can't even get on the system!

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.xfinity.com/" on this server.

[Edited: "Personal Information"]

(edited)

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@norman00​ I restarted my system and cleared all cookies and browsing history.  Now I can at least get on the system again.   This is just irritating!

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

This is not the feeling we want, @norman00. Clearing cookies and browsing history is a great step to take which can often help with many common issues, @norman00. Did this step help?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

It did help clear the error message.  I am happy to say that everything is now solved.  I read that the Xfinity store could add an security email to my primary email avoiding the long phone holds.  I went and the store added a gmail account to my primary email.   I have been able to get going again.  I think that Xfinity should have sent out an announcement that it was going to start this stringent security so we could be ready rather than just dumping it on us! 

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

@norman00 - Thank you for letting us know it helped clear that error message as it may help other readers! Your feedback is appreciated as well because it helps us to make improvements. 

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

5 months ago

Has anyone had any luck with getting your email back? My secondary email seems to have been deleted. I was lucky enough to still be able to get into the original main/email account but it shows zero other users. There should be a 2nd user on the account. Again it's zero. User account that is missing has been being used for all communication for over 15 years, this is ridiculous.

Official Employee

• 

331 Messages

So sorry to hear that @idh if you're having issues please direct message us your full name and address to get started. 

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send your message

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

XfinityJoshuaG, I hope you can assist me.  I'm a grandfathered Comcast email user (I moved from FL to NC in 2017 where Comcast isn't available).  I have 4 email addresses and all 4 of them are getting the recent dreaded 'As part of our commitment to our customers, we may at times require you to update your password for account protection.' message.  NONE of the reset password options are working for me as I'm no longer a Comcast paying Internet customer and of course don't have a Comcast wireless network to connect to.  Can you please assist me with resetting my 4 email passwords?  I can verify all of my prior Comcast account number information.  I'm logged in right now to 1 of my profiles but I do NOT get the Direct Message / New Message option to send you a private message.  Thank you, Michael  

Official Employee

• 

549 Messages

@mikeprofla  We are unable to assist non-Comcast customers who only have emails due to troubleshooting limitations. We do require an active account for us to be able to troubleshoot any further. 

2 Messages

Excuse me! Every person who uses Comcast email is an Xfinity CUSTOMER!! To suggest otherwise is the worst customer service. EVER!

I am one of your "non-customers", and I actually have a real account number! My account is active because I use my email on a daily basis (or would like to).

I have been trying to change passwords for a secondary email for 3+ days. None of your handy hints have worked for me. What is the plan to resolve the password issues for all of your customers?

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

5 months ago

Ugh, well that was grueling.  I'm finally able to get in my email after being on the phone with a tech for over an hour.  Previously, I had two-step verification on my one Xfinity email account (I have several), now when I try to turn the two-step back on by entering my cell phone number, it states that my number is already used in an active account and won't let me add it in.  I only have one cell phone and it is listed in my profile, so why can't I turn on the two-step verification?  If you're all about security, why won't you let me set this feature back up?  BTW, the link posted above to enable multifactor authentication. doesn't work.  I receive this message:  400 BAD REQUEST, Request Header or Cookie Too Large

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

5 months ago

Ugh, well that was grueling.  I'm finally able to get in my email after being on the phone with a tech for over an hour.  Previously, I had two-step verification on my one Xfinity email account (I have several), now when I try to turn the two-step back on by entering my cell phone number, it states that my number is already used in an active account and won't let me add it in.  I only have one cell phone and it is listed in my profile, so why can't I turn on the two-step verification?  If you're all about security, why won't you let me set this feature back up?  BTW, the link posted above to enable multifactor authentication. doesn't work.  I receive this message:  400 BAD REQUEST, Request Header or Cookie Too Large

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Glad you were finally able to get it to work, but I'm sorry the two-step verification isn't working for you. Have you tried another number?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@glasgowdelgal​ The problem is that Comcast only allows a cell phone number to be used on ONE email address.  So if you have 4 email addresses like I do and only ONE cell phone # (like 99.9% of people) you're left with 3 accounts that you can't put the extra security on.  Comcast should allow multiple email accounts to be under ONE cell phone.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

@XfinityAntoine​ , what other phone number would I use?  I only have one cell phone.  I would want a notification to my ONE cell phone in the event either of my TWO Comcast email accounts were being hacked.

4 Messages

5 months ago

This article's method does not work on an inactive account. Comcast promised we wouldn't lose our email if we went inactive. I am the Primary member; I changed my password; I can still access my email. BUT, I cannot change the passwords of my other family members' logins regardless of whether I login as them or as me (a representative told me to try using their logon, specifically using ID instead of their email. My family are locked out of their emails - unable to change their passwords as Xfinity requires - while having vital mail there that they must read. NOTE: we do not have an "Xfinity wi-fi" to log into. As HOA members, we get our feed from a different company. These email addresses have been used by my family for over twenty years. If this cannot be resolved, I will never buy any service or product associated with Comcast again.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Greetings @user_soz8d3 thanks for using our Forums as a way to contact our team. We are happy to work with you to see how we can help get them access again. Do you know or have an idea how long ago they last logged in?

4 Messages

@XfinityJorge​ , thanks for responding. My wife logs on every day. Five days ago she was required to change her password. She's trying - again - right now. My son discovered he could not login about two weeks ago.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Thanks for letting us know @user_soz8d3, and can you please let us know what they are seeing on their end when trying to make the change? 

4 Messages

@XfinityJorge​ , yes. They see a series of flashing pages including one repeating one with just a circle with three dots on it. One of the pages has some text that looks like it might apply, but it flashes by so quickly that it can't really be read and doesn't look like it has any choices to pick - no boxes to be checked or similar. And then, it returns to the page that lists the three people on the account. Clicking on one of those names starts the flashing pages again.

Official Employee

• 

657 Messages

I have seen several reports of the primary account being able to adjust the preferences and settings for the secondary accounts, though I know you've mentioned that it wasn't working for you. Do the secondary accounts appear but are greyed out when signing in to the website under the primary? It may be the best option to contact our Customer Security Assurance team at 1-888-565-4329, where they should be able to assist in resetting the password through their tools. They are available every day from 8:00 am - 12:00 am EST.

2 Messages

5 months ago

I rarely check our Comcast email account; however, with the data breach, I changed our Xfinity account PW. Do I also need to change our Comcast email account PW or does the Xfinity account PW change update both? I only access our Comcast email after logging into the Xfinity account. Please advise!

Official Employee

• 

309 Messages

Hi @user_s3qal8. Just to be safe, you should change the password on your email as well as any secondary email accounts you may have. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. 

2 Messages

I am logged into my Comcast email via our Xfinity account. I cannot find a place in the email area to update my Comcast.net email account PW. The Support option sends me in an endless loop with the chat assistant, so I can't get actual help with this. I don't even know how to log into my Comcast account outside of the Xfinity website since I don't actually use the email account for anything. Please provide step by step instructions on how to change the Comcast.net PW without impacting our Xfinity account PW that I already changed.

Official Employee

• 

244 Messages

Please log out of your Xfinity Connect email, clear your cache and cookies, then open a new tab with the connect.xfinity.com site. Your newly changed password that was done through the Xfinity portal online will also change the password on your email access and any email clients used. Email clients may require an update with the new password. The same Xfinity ID and password are used across all Xfinity apps and portals for each user role.

Regular Visitor

• 

12 Messages

5 months ago

I find it annoying that once again I have to find out about this recent breach on the world news instead of an informed email or some kind of notification directly from Xfinity. Sure get that notification email  for the bill being due on time every time but nothing about something like this.

1 Message

5 months ago

Changed my password per your request. No longer could get emails on my phone. Called Comcast, not their fault or problem. Called phone carrier, 3 different times, 3 different techs and finally a tech Google Xfinity email problems and found out hundreds of other customers were experiencing the same problem. She saw a solution that made sense so she did it and suddenly my email on my phone was accessible. The common denominators in this problem was Comcast and changing passwords but it wasn’t Comcast’s fault? You must be the only people who believe that it wasn’t a problem caused by Comcast.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Thanks for commenting to provide us with your feedback on this matter, @user_4c2nbl. I'm glad the issue has been resolved on your end. Would you mind sharing what was the solution? 

1 Message

4 months ago

What a NIGHTMARE!  I've been trying for weeks to reset password!  Keep getting the run-around!

Official Employee

• 

904 Messages

Hey @user_demzf9

Thank you for taking the time to visit our official Xfinity Community Support forums. We would be more than happy to assist with any issues you may be experiencing with your Xfinity ID account. Are you currently experiencing any error codes/messages when attempting to reset your password? Do you have a third-party email or mobile phone number linked and associated with your Xfinity ID already? Please let us know at your next available convenience. 

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

Are you a 'grandfathered' in user that no longer has Comcast as your Internet provider or a regular Comcast customer?  Just curious as many of us that no longer have Comcast as our provider (either we've moved to an area that Comcast doesn't support or our community dropped Comcast)  are also having major problems getting our passwords reset.  Michael

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

@Mikeprofla1​ 

Are you a 'grandfathered' in user that no longer has Comcast as your Internet provider or a regular Comcast customer?  Just curious as many of us that no longer have Comcast as our provider (either we've moved to an area that Comcast doesn't support or our community dropped Comcast)  are also having major problems getting our passwords reset.  Michael

Did you try calling Customer Security Assurance?

Customer Security Assurance
Business Hours: 8:00am - 12:00am EST, 7 days a week  

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

I have not - I was told in a prior tech chat session that since I don't have an account number, there's nothing that tech support can do for users like myself.  I will call that number - thank you!

Regular Visitor

• 

9 Messages

1 month ago

Record of recent Xfinity requiring password changes

iPhone password changes
3/10, 11, 13, 14, 30, 31,    4/1, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9,
14 times

Mac password changes
3/10, 11, 13, 14, 30, 31 
6 times

Official Employee

• 

819 Messages

@user_13acd5e​ Could you send me a DM with the impacted username?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here