Received an e-mail from Xfinity that read:
"We're excited to share that we've increased your download
speeds from 300 Mbps to 400 Mbps. Faster download speeds help to give you a better experience as you work, learn, and stream from home.
Don't worry, this is included as part of your current plan. However, your current device is not able to deliver these new speeds. Update your equipment today so you can enjoy the faster speeds you deserve."
Based on that e-mail, I did upgrade my modem from a Netgear CM500 to a Motorola MB8600. Yet after the upgrade, I still get the same speed that old Netgear CM500 delivered (about 190 Mbps). A call to customer support didn't solve the problem, and the call back from them to confirm the issue was resolved never materialized.
Did I just spend $150 on a new modem for nothing?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Modem>Cat5e cable (4 feet)>LinksysEA8300 router>Cat5e cable (4 feet)>laptop
Tested using Xfinity speedtest, Fast.com, speedof.me, www.speedtest.net, and the google speedtest. Similar results on different browsers (Firefox and Chrome). Similar results on a desktop, though that is connected to the router with about 50 feet of Cat 5e and a TP-Link switch.
These speeds are the speeds I've always had, even when I was on the 200 Mbs tier. But I got these speeds with the old Netgear CM500. Changing to the MB8600 changed nothing, even after calling Xfinity phone support, who reset the modem (but never followed up to see if it worked).
And a single run of new (well, two year old) quad shield RG6 coax from the comcast connection just outside of my house. No splitters, only connection is the modem.
I am in the same situation. I got same email also upgraded my modem to get the supposed speed increase (in my case from Netgear CM500 to Motorola MB7621) but saw no increase in speed.
Yes, I had read your message and know that I am in about the same situation. And like you noted, calling comcast didn't seem all too helpful. If you get a solution, I would be interested in what it is. Thanks.
What do you get when testing speeds out of the modem (how it should be done)?
It really depends on what site I use (some where better and some were worse, and some didn't change). However the Xfinity site showed 322 Mbps, and the speedtest.net site showed over 400 Mbps on several servers, so it seems that the speed is there. I suspect I'll be upgrading my cables soon, and perhaps the router after that.
Thank you so much for reaching out to us here with your concerns about the new internet speed, @Poor_Rod! I rely on my internet for work so I'd be upset if I wasn't getting the speeds I pay for. Please send me a Private Message so I can make sure you have the correct speeds being sent to your modem.
To send a private message, click my name " ComcastEmilyS", then click "send a message".
I found the solution my issue that was similar to yours.
' I have discovered that it was a setting in my router that was slowing things down. I had Traffic Monitoring Per IP Enabled (monitoring data usage of each local client) which had disabled Hardware Accleration. Disabling Per IP Monitor and turning Hardware Acceleration back on fixed the issue. Now seeing download speed well over 400 Mbps.'
At 400 Mbps I guess we are seeing multiple issues that can slow thanks down. Can be router, device network interface, etc
vandergraff, thanks for the suggestion to check my router settings.
I believe my issue has been resolved. The problem was my router (Linksys EA8300). The Media Prioritization Setting were based on a router run speedtest way back when I first set up the router (This was about 220 Mbps download). Turning off the Media Prioritization was not enough, I had to go into the settings and manually enter the new download speed (I used 450 Mbps download), save the setting, and once I did that the router was now passing the full speed of the modem through to the devices connected to the router (even though I STILL have Media Prioritization turned off).