sgordon777's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Sunday, February 9th, 2020 3:00 PM

Closed

port forwarding????

Hi Forum, I'm pulling my hair out trying to get port forwarding working for remote usage of an IP camera on an XfinityARRIS TG1682G router/modem.

A bit of backgorund: I previously was using a nethear router hooked up to an Xfinity modem/router (only using the xfinity as a modem). The netgear broke, and Xfinity brought me the ARRIS TG1682G , which I want to use as both a modem and router.

-My IP camera is configured for at fixed address 10.0.0.205. My remote port is 7205, local port is 443. The camera works perfectly form the local network using 10.0.0.205.

Now the problems:

First, I'm having trouble even understanding Xfinitys terminology for port forwarding. Port forwarding requies the router to know:

1-The device's local IP address

2-The device's local port

3-The associated remote port

The comcast router Port forwardig configuration asks for a local address and a start/end port(what ?????). I'll assume here that start/end in some way correspods to remote/local, so I put the information (ip=10.0.0.205, start_port=443, end_port=7205) and tried it:

-Nothing

I spent 3 useless hours phone with the India call center. The first-line support did nothing but read from a scrpit, but unfortuately, the script had no section on port forwarding. Next cam the "network experts". I spent an hour os so explaining what port forwarding is to them, but no oucome.

Basically, I'm SOL unless this forum can help me. If I cannot get this router to do remote access of my cameras, I'm done with comcast/xfinity (I refuse to buy another router).

Thanks in advance, any help greatly appreciated,

sgordon777

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

By the way, I have disabled "advance security" in X-FI, as I've read PF will not work with this enabled.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for your quick reqly.

I did read this link, but unfortunately, it has not helped. I think the problem is I simply do not understand the terminology used by the maker of this router. Perhaps you can help me.

#Local address of IPCAM on the network

10.0.0.205:443

#Address/Port used by remote device, assuming my residential gateway were 254.253.252.251 (it is not)

https://254.253.252.251:7205

How do I enter this in the Xfinity port scheme which only asks for a local address, a "start port" and "end port"

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

Glad you got it figured out. Now closing this thread.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Ok, got it sorted. I had to reconfigure my device so that the local port is same as the remote port. This is stupid and not necissary on other routers.

I've got more problems now, but I'll make another thread for those.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here