jasper319's profile

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, March 15th, 2020 1:00 PM

Closed

most website wont work

A comcast guy came out and replaced the modem yesterday while I was at work because it was having issues. When I got home the only websites that actually work are xfinity and google. I can stream video and go to this forum and do whatever I want on the xfinity site. I can type things into google homepage and get search results. If I click on any search results or type in a web address other than google or xfinity, I get ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT on the PC or ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE on my phone, or ERR_NAME-RESOLUTION_FAILED on my wifes laptop. I also cannot play online games. After several resets of all devices and modem, my phone's issues with connecting to websites that aren't xfinity finally resolved. My laptop seems to work fine. My father-in-law's PC works, altho he said the comcast guy spent a couple hours on his PC yesterday to get it to work.

The fact that I can stream videos from the xfinity site and get google search results would seem to indicate that I have some connectivity. I seem to remember something like this last time someone came out and did some work, I don't remember the fix tho. I spent an hour on the phone with comcast helpdesk this morning. He first told me the problem was connectivity issues because of too many devices. I told him that was unlikely as I was simultaneously streaming video on the xfinity site but unable to connect to amazon.com or any other site in a different tab in the same browser on the same device. I turned stuff off a few devices for him anyway and it fixxed nothing. He then had me reset my browser settings on my PC and do a bunch of other stuff that didn't help at all. And why would it? It's not as if there are settings in Chrome on my PC that also affect how the wife's laptop and my phone connect. He suggested that I try a different browser so I brought up IE11 as it was the only other option I had. Still no good. Not surprised, as I mentioned, online game clients that dont have anything to do with browsers are also not connecting. He suggested I uninstall and reinstall Chrome or download Firefox. I didnt do either of those because the browser on my pc obviously isn't the problem when more than one device is having a similar issue and I also can't connect with apps like game clients that don't use a browser connection.

He also asked if there had been any changes recently. Yeah, someone from comcast came out to replace an old modem yesterday. 

-Jasper319

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Update: actually my laptop also doesn't work unless I'm going to google or xfinity sites. 

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Friday we called comcast because we werent getting service. After they reset the modem on their end, our service came back to what we had experienced the last year and a half. Which is to say not even close to what we are paying for. Usually the speed test is in the high teens to low 20s. I had done speed test earlier in the day because of poor connectivity and got an 11. After the modem had been reset it wasnt much better. We are supposed to be at a premium 200 down tier. We mentioned this poor service to the comcast rep at the end of the conversation on Friday and it was like someone flipped a switch that changed us to the tier we were supposed to have been getting all along. Speed tests in the high 90s or better.

For 1 whole day, because they also told us we had an outdated modem and someone would be out to replace it Saturday.

So he came out yesterday and replaced it while I was at work. When I got home the only websites that actually work are xfinity and google and youtube. I can stream video and go to this forum and do whatever I want on the xfinity site. I can watch videos on youtube. I can type things into google homepage and get search results. If I click on any search results or type in a web address other than google or xfinity, I get ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT on the PC and my laptop or ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE on my phone, or ERR_NAME-RESOLUTION_FAILED on my wifes laptop. I also cannot play online games. After several resets of all devices and modem, my phone's issues with connecting to websites that aren't xfinity finally resolved, maybe, it looks like  I used a lot of data on my phone today. My father-in-law's PC seems to work, altho he said the comcast guy spent a couple hours on his PC yesterday to get it to work after he did whatever he did with the modem.

The fact that I can stream videos from the xfinity site and youtube and get google search results would seem to indicate that I have some connectivity. I seem to remember something like this when we got hooked up a year and a half ago, I don't remember the fix tho. I spent an hour on the phone with comcast helpdesk this morning. He first told me the problem was connectivity issues because he could see 9 devices when i was only supposedto have 8 I told him that didnt make sense as I was simultaneously streaming video on the xfinity site but unable to connect to amazon.com or any other site in a different tab in the same browser on the same device. I turned  off a few devices anyway and it fixxed nothing. He then had me reset my browser settings on my PC and do a bunch of other stuff that didn't help at all. And why would it? It's not as if there are settings in Chrome on my PC that also affect how the wife's laptop , my laptop and my phone connect. He suggested that I try a different browser so  now I have tried on Chrome, IE11, Edge and the Samsung browser I never use on my phone. Still no good. Not surprised, as I mentioned, online game clients that dont have anything to do with browsers are also not connecting. He suggested I uninstall and reinstall Chrome or download Firefox. I didnt do either of those because the browser on my pc obviously isn't the problem when more than one device is having a similar issue and I also can't connect with apps like game clients that don't use a browser connection.. After an hour of not much help he finally said he couldnt do anything else. He was nice and polite but he was fixxated on changing settings on a pc that was just one of several non working devices, instead of trying to fix the modem that was replaced yesterday. But at least he spent an hour trying to help.

He was much better than the 2nd guy I talked to. Help Desk tech #2 could only tell me that it was because the advanced security settings on the account was turned on. Really? your seriously telling me that the reason I can't get to CNN, amazon, and microsoft is because they were somehow flagged as threats along with just about every other website under the sun? I actually asked this and the *edit* stood his ground. So the advanced security settings he was talking about got turned off. It fixxed nothing sohe was done. with us Help desk tech #2 was very much not the polite helpful person help desk tech #1 was.

And for only getting about 10% of the internet speeds we have been paying for the last year and a half we were offered a pathetic $25 credit

Before the modem work:

2 pcs, 3 laptops, and 5 phones work

After the modem work:

1 pc, 3 laptops, and some phones will only connect to a very limited list of websites.

1 pc works, apparently because the tech spent hours making it work before he left yesterday 

THIS IS NOT A COINCIDENCE

in my readings i discovered that all the addresses that ARE resolving happen to be IPv6.

Is IPv4 misconfigured somehow?

-Jasper319

Official Employee

• 

6.9K Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for sharing the details of your experience here on the Xfinity Forums, @jasper319! I'm sorry for the experience you're having and would be happy to take a deeper look into this. It sounds like there is a bigger issue on the back end of the account that I can fix that should fix this. Can you please send me a private message with your first and last name as it appears on your account? To send a private message, click on "ComcastChe" and then click "send a message."  

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I have exact same problem with xFinity. I'm able to open certain websites, some of them are not working at all, such as Amazon, Walmart, etc. Have done multiple restarts, on call rep tried few things as well, still not working. Its works after the modem reboot for some time, but then again same issue. Please advise. 

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

@vikram286 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks. Year old dead now being closed.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here