Community Forum

Xfinity Modem suddenly connects itself to a Dep't of Defence IP address

Trygves
Frequent Visitor

Xfinity Modem suddenly connects itself to a Dep't of Defence IP address

Using a ARRIS SVG2482AC modem which normally is connewcted to 24.118.160.28 which is a comcast IP address. Every day about 3 times it is trying to connect itself to IP 21.139.146.230 and shuts down all my Internet for 2 minutes before reconnecting to the comcast IP address. What makes my modem telling me: mta0 got new IP 21.139.146.230 and then within 2 minutes: erouter0 got new IP 24.118.160.28. Can this be related to the Russian solarwind virus where DOD attacks my modem? What is going on. This has occured now for 2 months every day even with my computers shut off.

Please help

ComcastKatieMS
Official Employee

Re: Xfinity Modem suddenly connects itself to a Dep't of Defence IP address

Hello @Trygves! We definitely want to make sure you have a safe online experience with us! This sounds like it could be related to a settings issue within the modem, or some type of malicious attack/software issue. Have you tried to complete a factory reset of the modem to see if this will help? Also, have you tried to reach out to the manufacture of your modem to see if this may be a known issue with them?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Trygves
Frequent Visitor

Have contacted ARRIS and they tell me that the Upstream Channel Bonding Value is too low on my modem. Readings are 31.5 - 34.5 dBmv and should be 45 - 51 dBmv. ARRIS told me  to ask Xfinity to fix this problem before they can do any further help. The Downstream values are within their expected values.

ComcastKatieMS
Official Employee

I appreciate your update on this @Trygves. We definitely want to make sure that everything is within the range it needs to be. I would like to get your account pulled up so we can check some additional signals reporting from your modem to helps us get to the bottom of this for you! Can you please send me a private message with your first and last name so we can get this taken care of together? To send us a private message, please click on my name <ComcastKatieMS>, then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
EG
Expert

@Trygves wrote:

Have contacted ARRIS and they tell me that the Upstream Channel Bonding Value is too low on my modem. Readings are 31.5 - 34.5 dBmv and should be 45 - 51 dBmv. ARRIS told me  to ask Xfinity to fix this problem before they can do any further help. The Downstream values are within their expected values.

FWIW, that has nothing to do with it. They are wrong anyway ! They have been passing the buck and have been conning people with that statement lately !! They are probably trying to cover up for their liabilities about the lawsuits against them because of their use of the horrible Puma 6 chipsets... Only the Comcast plant / engineering specs matter;

Specification Min Max
Downstream Power Level
Cable Modems -10dBmV +10dBmV
Gateways and EMTAs -7dBmV +7dBmV
Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio 35dB -
Upstream Power Level +35dBmV +50dBmV
Upstream Signal to Noise Ratio 31dB -
Upstream Receive Power -2dBmV
+2dBmV

Something else is going on.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Trygves
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your kind comment - so are you telling me that the power levels are correct then?

EG
Expert

The upstreams are. You didn't post the downstreams. See the info I posted.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Trygves
Frequent Visitor

Downstream has 24 channels varying between 2.7 - 5.4 dBmV with a SNR of 38.61 - 40.95. Are there ok values?

EG
Expert

Yes they are fine, but this all moot. As stated signals / power levels have nothing to do with IP addresses. It's two different layers of the OSI model.

BruceW
Gold Problem Solver

@Trygves wrote: ... mta0 got new IP 21.139.146.230 ... erouter0 got new IP 24.118.160.28. ...

If "mta0" is the Home Phone component IP and "erouter0" is the Internet IP it isn't surprising that they are different. But why "mta0" is being assigned an address that ARIN claims to be a DoD address, I can't imagine.

Trygves
Frequent Visitor

if mta0 is the phone and is assigned the strange IP,  why does my Internet shuts down when this happens, and why is the Internet IP then reinstated? I am really baffeled as to what causes this issue, but it has happened for weeks now up to 3 times per day