Community Forum

XBB24-A battery backup for XB6 (Arris TG3482G) blinking green for 3 days

Frequent Visitor

XBB24-A battery backup for XB6 (Arris TG3482G) blinking green for 3 days

I replaced my XBB1-A backup batter with a new XBB24-A and installed it following the directions. It started blinking green which apparently indicates "trying to pair with modem" but it has been blinking green for 3 days. When I logon to the modem http://10.0.0.1 it shows battery at 0% and no information. If I read the postings correctly, the light on the battery should blink green then turn to solid blue after pairing. What has gone wrong and how can I fix it?

Frequent Visitor

Re: XBB24-A battery backup for XB6 (Arris TG3482G) blinking green for 3 days

I have the same issue with the XBBB1-A. It continues to bink green. Any ideas?

Expert

See if anything in this thread applies;

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Home-Phone-Service-Equipment/XB6-XBB1-A-Backup-Battery-Question/td-p/3...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

thanks for the link but I had already read this one. It speaks to the status of the LED lights but did not suggest what to do if it keeps blinking green

Expert

Have you first tried power-cycling / re-starting the device ? No joy ? Try hard resetting the device to factory defaults by pressing and holding in the recessed reset button on the rear for 30 seconds. This can sometimes clear up some weird behavior issues. You will lose any customized settings, and they will need to be re-configured from scratch if you do the latter.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Which device are we talking about, the XB6 gateway or the XBB24-A backup battery for the XB6, or both? I did try resetting both and powering down/up both. I actually had an Xfinity installer/repair guy come to the house and try to figure it out. He had never seen an XBB24-A and he couldn't get it to work either. I'm genuinely confused why Comcast charged me $171 for this battery then refuses (is there any other appropriate word) to help me understand why the disconnect between my experience and the instructions. I also shouldn't have to resort to this slow, tedious way of trying to get answers to what I consider a simple, basic, installation question. I'm stymied and nonplussed. I appreciate your help, but it seems like you are grasping at straws.

Expert

@GunMillFarm wrote:

Which device are we talking about, the XB6 gateway or the XBB24-A backup battery for the XB6, or both? 

The XB6.

I appreciate your help, but it seems like you are grasping at straws.

Seems that we both are..... I'm not a CC employee. And I don't have that gateway device. Sorry I couldn't be of help. Good luck with it !

Frequent Visitor

I know that you are not a CC employee and appreciate you trying to help.. I have done a reset on both and nothing seems to work. Maybe they changed the firmware in the SB6 and the battery no longer displays the power LED color. That said, when I unplug the battery from the AC the SB6 continues to give me dial tone for many hours. So it does seem to work. It just does not show the right LED etc.

When I plug the power back in to the battery the SB 6 contines to provide dial tone but the rest of the functions (wifi etc) never come back. 

Can anyone from Comcast help?

Expert

If you connect a device via Ethernet, does it succeed?

Frequent Visitor

Do you mean into my XB6? Yes, in fact, this computer I'm using now is hard-wired into the XB6.

Expert

Are you able to access the gateway at http://10.0.0.1?

Default Login:

username: admin
password: password (case-sensitive)

If it is your first time logging in you will be forced to change that password.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, very pokey, but I am into the Gateway. I clicked on Hardware...Battery but I'm still waiting for a response. VERY pokey!

Frequent Visitor

Battery Status:  
Battery Life:  
Battery Health: Unknown
Battery Status: Unknown
Battery Charge Status: Not Charging
Current Temperature:  
Charging System Health: Unknown
Remaining Charge: %
Remaining Time: Na.N hours
Hardware Version:  
Manufacturer Name:  
Max Temp Experienced:  
Min Temp Experienced:  
Battery Model Number:  
Power Consumed In Initial 8 Hours:  
Power Consumed In Final 16 hours:  
Low Battery Time:  
Low Temperature Threshold:  
High Temperature Threshold:  
Low Temperature Dwell TripPoint Seconds:  
High Temperature Dwell TripPoint Seconds:  
Seconds On Battery:  
Battery Serial Number:  
Battery Software Version:  
Battery Testing State: Unknown
Battery Testing Status:
Expert

Are you able to access it’s wireless settings?

Frequent Visitor

Do you mean this?

Gateway > Hardware > Wireless

View information about the Gateway's wireless components. Wi-Fi: The Gateway provides concurrent 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz for Wi-Fi connections.

Wi-Fi LAN port (2.4 GHZ)

Wi-Fi link status:Active
MAC Address:A8:9F:EC:22:41:33
System Uptime:0 days 3h: 55m: 19s

Wi-Fi LAN port (5 GHZ)

Wi-Fi link status:Active
MAC Address:A8:9F:EC:22:41:34
System Uptime:0 days 3h: 55m: 19s
Silver Problem Solver

Maybe not related, I do remember replacing a battery in an Arris device (not this model}. It started off by doing a self test, then fully discharging and recharging over a number of days.

Could be doing something similar?

Expert

No. I mean the actual settings.

Connection > Wi-Fi

Frequent Visitor

Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi

Manage your Wi-Fi connection settings.

• Allow- All (Default): All wireless client stations can connect to the Gateway; no MAC filtering rules.
  • Allow: Only the devices in the "Wireless Control List" are allowed to connect to the Gateway.
  • Deny: Wireless devices in the "Wireless Control List" are not allowed to connect to the Gateway.
less

Private Wi-Fi Network

Name Frequency Band: MAC Address Security Mode  
Bear 2.4GHz A8:9F:EC:22:41:33 WPA2-PSK (AES) EDIT
Bear 5GHz A8:9F:EC:22:41:34 WPA2-PSK (AES) EDIT

MAC Filter Setting

You can control the Wi-Fi access to the USG using the below Mac-Filter settings.

Wi-Fi Control List(up to 16 items)

# Device Name MAC Address  

Auto-Learned Wi-Fi Devices

Device Name MAC Address  

Manually-Added Wi-Fi Devices

Device Name MAC Address  
 : : : : :
Expert

What happens when you go into edit for each SSID? Try disabling them and saving them and turning them back on.

Frequent Visitor

What does this have to do with the battery?!

Expert

My apologies, I though you were the other poster who was having the WiFi issue when bringing it back to main power.

Frequent Visitor

I solved my problem! I logged into the router and went to the troubleshooting section. I did a reset battery connection and the light turned from blinking green to blue! It seems to work now!

Expert

@mcamm1,

Glad it worked out. It brought back your WiFi too?

@GunMillFarm,

Try the same thing that @mcamm1 did and see what happens.

Frequent Visitor

It looks like I may have spoken to soon! I did the reset battery option via the menu in the router. Then it started blinking green. Then it went solid blue and chirped. I thought I was all good.

A few mins later I unplugged the AC from the battery to simulate a power outage. The led went off like it was suppose to. I tested my desk phone and it still had dial tone and I was able to make a call. So that worked! When I plugged the AC back into the battery the LED came on again with solid blue. HOWEVER, the WIFI does not come back on the router. The indicator light on the XB6 does not light up. The only way I seem to be able to restore the wifi is for me to unplug the X6 from the battery and then plug it back in ie reboot the router. Which sort of defeats the purpose. ie the battery keeps my phone line active in a power failure but does not bring my network back online once the power comes back on. Any ideas?

Frequent Visitor

I reset the battery through the gateway interface and it WORKED, thanks!! The XBB24-A light is solid blue now. I read about your power-up problems; I was told that this battery ONLY backs up the phone line, for about 24 hours, but does not provide any backup for the gateway/router. Thank you so much for your help with this and I'll keep looking for your posts about resolving this issue.

Frequent Visitor

Yes. I know it only backs up the phone line however, when the power comes back on I thought it should provide normal operation/wifi without have to reboot the router. Can you  please test the following....

Light is blue on your batttery. Your wifi connection should be live ie your computer can access the internet.

1) The light on the top of your router should be green.

2) Unplug the AC Cord from your battery 

3) The light on your router will go off and you will not have wifi

4) Check to see if you have dial tone on your phone

5) Plug the AC cord back into your battery

6) Does the light on your router come back on? Do you have wifi again? 

Please let me know.

Thanks

Frequent Visitor

OK, here is your list; my results were different.

1) The light on the top of your router should be green. NO, THE LIGHT ON MY XB6 IS WHITE.

2) Unplug the AC Cord from your battery OK, XB6 LIGHT STAYS WHITE, XBB24-A LIGHT STAYS BLUE, LOSE INTERNET CONNECTION IMMEDIATELY BUT STILL HAVE VoIP DIAL TONE.

3) The light on your router will go off and you will not have wifi. NO, LIGHT ON XB6 STAYS WHITE AND STEADY, LIKE NORMAL, BUT I DO LOSE WiFi.

4) Check to see if you have dial tone on your phone YES

5) Plug the AC cord back into your battery OK, XFi WiFi FROM XFINITY COMES BACK; Google WiFi (my second network) NEEDS TO HAVE ROUTER REBOOTED.

6) Does the light on your router come back on? Do you have wifi again? XB6 LIGHT NEVER WENT OUT. XFi BACK, GOOGLE WiFi NEEDED REBOOT.

Expert

@mcamm1 

I would either attempt to get the newer battery and see what it does or your XB6 maybe defective if internet functions aren't coming back.

Frequent Visitor

I guess I wasn't clear. Internet comes right back when battery is replugged into wall power. 

Frequent Visitor

thanks for your reply and going through those steps for me.  I was incorrect with a few things. The light on my router was white, not green. When I unplug the AC from the battery the white light on the router stays on. When I plug the battery back into the AC the white light on the router goes out and the wifi never starts up again. The only way for me to turn the wifi back on is to unplug the router and plug it back in again.

Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe my router firmware is not up to date and is therefore not comptable with the battery?

Frequent Visitor

Despite the steady blue light on the XBB24-A backup battery now after doing a reset battery connection through the troubleshooting > reset restore gateway page, the gateway has no information under "Hardware > Battery", all fields are blank, and the battery icon at the top of the page shows 0% battery charge.

Hardware > Battery

View information about the Gateway's battery status.

Battery power is for voice service only.

Number of Cycles to date: Indicates how many discharge and charge cycles the battery has gone through from the day it was inserted.

Battery Status:  
Battery Life:  
Battery Health:  
Battery Status:  
Battery Charge Status:  
Current Temperature:  
Charging System Health:  
Remaining Charge:  
Remaining Time:  
Hardware Version:  
Manufacturer Name:  
Max Temp Experienced:  
Min Temp Experienced:  
Battery Model Number:  
Power Consumed In Initial 8 Hours:  
Power Consumed In Final 16 hours:  
Low Battery Time:  
Low Temperature Threshold:  
High Temperature Threshold:  
Low Temperature Dwell TripPoint Seconds:  
High Temperature Dwell TripPoint Seconds:  
Seconds On Battery:  
Battery Serial Number:  
Battery Software Version:  
Battery Testing State:  
Battery Testing Status:

Frequent Visitor

Try to solve this by unplugging your router to power it completely down. Then plug the battery unit into it again and see if it starts to pull the data.

Frequent Visitor

Nothing yet after 15 minutes. Still zero battery, no data.

Frequent Visitor

Sorry. Other than try to do the reset again and then boot both devices. Other than that I am not sure what else you can try.

Frequent Visitor

That worked!! THANKS FOR YOUR HELP EVERYONE!

Hardware > Battery

View information about the Gateway's battery status.

more
Battery Status:  
Battery Life: 24
Battery Health: Good
Battery Status: Normal
Battery Charge Status: Not Charging
Current Temperature: 23
Charging System Health: Good
Remaining Charge: 95 %
Remaining Time: 24.4 hours
Hardware Version: 8
Manufacturer Name: ARRIS