oldmanriver1's profile

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

Monday, June 15th, 2020 5:00 PM

Closed

XB7 vs XB6 initial performance disappointment

My wired download speed on the XB6 was over 1100 Mbps. The wired speed on the new XB7 caps out at 950 Mbps.
Is this modem relatively deficient, or has the overhead cushion on my gigabit service been eliminated?
The wireless speeds are also not as robust throughout the house as the service I enjoyed with the XB6, either.
But that could also be a function of skimping provisioning.
Bottom line, this new piece of hardware has not created a good impression, and it certainly has not lived up to its marketing hype so far.
I have already wasted over an hour with clueless, unempowered chat agents trying to get my previous overhead provisioning restored.
Any suggested solutions or help would be appreciated.
Should I really be content with lesser performance from the new gear?
I think not.
Perhaps I should keep the XB6 and return the XB7?

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

4 years ago

In regards to the upstream issue, as you can see, even when the XB7 is intermittent receiving gigabit level provisioning, the upstream speed appears to be deficient.
I was reminded by overseas advsnced repair that the speed tier is supposed to be 1000/35. Not 1000/40.
In regards to your concerns, the coax splitter and four coax lines within the house to various rooms and Comcast devices have been deemed to be well connected and without an in house noise source.

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

4 years ago

Of note, I also confirmed this morning that these issues are evident on an ethernet connection to my computer.

2 Attachments

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

4 years ago

I don't think being cynical really helps here - although I don't doubt that you have endured many crazy-making tech responses over time, as I have also.
It's possible times are finally changing on the corporate level in Philadelphia regarding quality issues, and the local management may be reluctant to change.
How else would you explain the addition of an xFi app utility that let's you know in real time when your modem is not receiving the correct provisioning (subsequently suggesting endless meaningless restarts and on site service visits.)
Maybe they are counting on customer protests to uncover how much in marginal service issues has been allowed to be brushed under the rug on the local level.
Lastly, no one in advanced repair has counseled me to accept less than 90% of the gigabit speed tier.
At any rate, this is just a theory. No reply is necessary, my friend.

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

4 years ago

oldmanriver1 - but I can hear the tech (as mine told me) and customer service say - but you won't get that gigabit speed, you're getting 608 up and that's normal. Anything to not provide what you pay for. And 22 up - good luck getting something done.

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

3 years ago

By way of an update, the good tech never called back on Monday or any day this week after promising to run my signal quality issues by local managers a second time. My messages were not returned, either.
The overseas billing agent or her supervisor never called back the next day as solemnly promised. Also, the token service credit she issued never appeared in my account.
There was an unplanned maintenance outage in my service earlier this evening, possibly in advance of tomorrow's scheduled service visit.
But when the Internet and cable TV service was restored, the modem power levels and DVR power levels were receiving and transmitting at even higher levels than before.
And, as you might imagine, the speed to the modem as measured by the xFi utility was still not delivering stable gigabit download speed.
It was not a good week.

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

3 years ago

What can I say about these new, even higher (possibly detrimental) power levels after yesterday's local maintenance outage?
The far right OFDM channel 159 might have something to do with the disappointing wifi6 capability of the XB7 modem and it's intermittent provisioning fluctuations.
I have been told many times by techs and supervisors that due to the sheer distance of my residence from the plant, that there is nothing they can do about the tilt, or how the higher frequency channels' power levels become increasingly high, in an unwanted manner, as you go up the frequency ladder.
I can't explain why the upstream channels jumped up above 50 dbmv even without the splitter installed. Someone once said this is akin to the XB7 modem screaming its brains out to be heard on the transmit level.

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

3 years ago

One more Saturday morning round of directed restarts and remeasurement of the Comcast speed delivered to my XB7 modem on the gigabit Internet plan.
The speed tier is supposed to be 1000/35.

2 Attachments

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

3 years ago

Oldmanriver1 - they sure don't seem interested. I find your info on the channels interesting, I've only checked how busy they seem and pick one. Haven't looked what channel I'm using. But they say pick one less used. BY WHO!? Its only me and wife, and the signals are so weak I can't get a workable 5ghz signal downstairs on dvr or firestick! But here's my check to the gateway this morning. Yesterday after a 400 down test, a restart, it went to somewhere around 650 to my ethernet computer - that normally is 850 to 940. Good luck.

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

3 years ago

I was not talking about best (most powerful, less overlapped) channels on the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi network, my friend.
I was showing the high power levels on the bonded channels that comprise the download and upload internet connections.
Download signals above 7 dbmv and upstream signals above 50 dbmv may cause issues. There's a possibility our Internet issues (and our X1 DVR tuner power issues that can effect image clarity on premium channels on a very large screen) may be the root of our chronic problematic experience.
(I avoid much discussion of the wifi situation until the erratic modem provisioning issue can be addressed for obvious reasons.)
The evidence is tending to suggest that on my leg of the Memphis RF cable network, it may not be able to be made right.

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

I tried to bypass the XB7 wifi and hooked up a ASUS 3100 router and the XB7 refused to pass along the internet signal to the ASUS. One thing is for sure , with a TPLink wifi 6 extender my XB7’s wifi is still trash.
The wifi standing from 3 feet from the XB7 is 200mbs , go 25 feet and I get 60mbs , get next to the extender and I get 140-160 Mbs. Move 10 feet from the extender and it is only 70-80 mbs.
NOW , I was in the phone with Xfinity over the weekend and the operator told me that the XB7 should ALWAYS be a tech instal because the technician will turn up the radio band all the way ! I was like uh? It isn’t turn up all the way by default???
So now I have to wait a month so I don’t get charged $70 to have a tech come out to freaking turn up the radio power. Shame on you Xfinity

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

3 years ago

Erickstuckey - Sorry I replied to oldmanriver1!!! Been a regular chat with him for so long I didn't look. I just recently found the test to the gateway and when I check it taps the 1gigabit speed, so what I get by ethernet or wifi is set and I live with it. But I say the xb7 wifi isn't what the xb6 was. And the attached is what feeds my xb7 and thats what I'm paying for. Let us hear what they finally say, but having to wait ?? Call again and ask for a waiver because of continuing problems. Never know...

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

3 years ago

oldmanriver1 - Interesting the techs who have been there didn't adjust it. I swapped mine,, didn't get a tech out for awhile but remember LOTS of calls to the Phillipines and 3 xb7 keeping the last one.. Guess the techs you've had didn't know it either. I wonder where it gets set. Good luck, smells to me but will be good to learn.. Happy Thanksgiving should we not communicate for awhile..

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

Hello, I'm new on this site, and pretty new to Comcast/Xfinity. I thought that I'd give a little background to my interest in this discussion on the XB7 vs XB6. I live in the eastern panhandle of WV. I've waited for about 12 years to get some kind of decent internet speeds, starting with dial-up, then WildBlue satellite, then finally Frontier Communications which bought out about 26 states worth of Verizon's DSL internet, which I later heard were all the sites that had the worst of Verizon's capability that Frontier was supposed to upgrade, but at least in my area they never did until about 2 years ago, when their DSL service went from 750KBps to 1.5MBps DN and about 700KBps UP to 18MBps DN and 1MBps UP. 

Right in back of our home is a large new development of homes and townhouses that all are connected to Comcast/Xfinity. They all have cable. Our road has absolutely none at all. So I  contacted the head guy at this development to get the name of the Comcast guy I could talk to about getting their services to my home since since we were so close. Long and short of it was, not enough homes to make it worth their while, in other words, ROI, Comcast's Return On Investment. So, no they wouldn't do it.

Finally, I and a group of neighbors got together to contact Comcast to take us as a group that would pay an additional fee to get their services along our road. And after months and months of negotiations, they finally agreed. This past January, they finally completed installations of fiber and copper to the road and our homes. I immediately signed up for 1GBps on day one, and they provisioned me with an XB6 gateway. I found the XB6 WiFi to be poor coverage wise, so I switched to Bridge mode to use my Linksys EA9500-AC5400 1GB router for WiFi, which seems to have far better WiFi coverage, and leave the XB6 strictly as a modem, and for land line phone service.

My initial speeds to me, have been excellent, considering what I've had to deal with for the last 12 years. Using Ookla's SpeedTest, I measured repetively about 960MBps DN and 42MBps UP. For that I can't complain, at least so far.

In my area, an new Xfinity store just opened up and I asked about getting an XB7 gateway which was not available to me back in January, and they said yes, they had them and if I brought my XB6 in, the would give me a new XB7 at no cost to me. However, I also decided to do a little investigation and reviews of the XB7, and WOW, all I found was negative comments, and to stick with my working XB6, and NOT to get the XB7. I came across this forum's discussion on the XB7 vs XB6 and decided to weigh in and get your opinions. I don't want to wind up "downgrading" thinking that the XB7 would be an improvement due to my lack of knowledge. I would appreciate any and all advice as to what my best recommendations would be. Thanks in advance.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Trying to upgrade from the XB6 to the XB7 was a dismal failure.  Getting the XB7 connected and recognized worked as expected.  The speed wasn't any better though (with Ethernet cable connection or with Wi-Fi)...

The REAL PROBLEMS emerged when I needed to update the Port Forwards; it wasn't clear why the Port Forwards in the XB6 weren't imported, but trying to set them up in the XB7 was IMPOSSIBLE.

In seeking some Tech Support, the Comcast obtuse telephone menu system kept sending RESET signals to the Gateway, and there was absolutely no way to get through to a Human Being.  I eventually posted a summary of the issues on the "@ComcastCares" Twitter account, and they immediately opened a Ticket that triggered daily phone calls from Comcast Tech Support, sometimes 3 a day...  In speaking with about 10 Techs, all but two were misinformed about the Apps, and kept telling me to use the xFi App, which Comcast had replaced with the Xfinity App some time ago; they also weren't aware that Comcast had disbled the "Advanced > Port Forwarding" page on the Admin web App (which is accessed via the Router's IP Address).

The Xfinity App does have a page for the Port Forwards, and it pretends to let you edit them, BUT it displays "Something Went Wrong" when you try to save the updates.  Likewise, the Admin App refers you to "xfinity.com/myxfi", which also pretends to let you edit the Port Forwards, but fails similarly when trying to save the changes.  Both methods also fail when trying to delete existing Port Forwards, which I tried so I could enter the data new.

After more than 30 hours, I simply went back to the old XB6, which had retained the correct Port Forwards.

Throughout this, the Team at ComcastCares maintained a constant, constructive dialog with me, which was just about the only positive part of this experience.

What 'genius' at Comcast decided to remove the Port Forward editing capability from the Admin App?

Contributor

• 

775 Messages

3 years ago

How do I disable “Client Isolation” on the XB7-T?

I just did a network test with lifx using an app called RouteThis trying to figure out why my bulb keeps disconnecting.
It listed 2 issues.Client Isolation is enabled and needs to be turned off apparently.
And interference.

So I think i fixed my lifx bulbs disconnecting though.
I changed 2.4 channel selection from auto (11) to manual (1).
And disabled UPnP.

Now when I do that network test (routethis app), no issues come up. Client isolation is no longer listed as an issue. Interference is no longer listed as an issue.

Is UPnP considered Client Isolation?

I dont know if disabling upnp or manually selecting channel fixed it but my bulb connected right away.

2.4 auto channel was always on channel 11. Maybe there is as interference on 11.

Is there anything a tech can do to
fix interference on a specific channel?

Or was there a bug with UPnP?
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here