oldmanriver1's profile

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

Monday, June 15th, 2020 5:00 PM

Closed

XB7 vs XB6 initial performance disappointment

My wired download speed on the XB6 was over 1100 Mbps. The wired speed on the new XB7 caps out at 950 Mbps.
Is this modem relatively deficient, or has the overhead cushion on my gigabit service been eliminated?
The wireless speeds are also not as robust throughout the house as the service I enjoyed with the XB6, either.
But that could also be a function of skimping provisioning.
Bottom line, this new piece of hardware has not created a good impression, and it certainly has not lived up to its marketing hype so far.
I have already wasted over an hour with clueless, unempowered chat agents trying to get my previous overhead provisioning restored.
Any suggested solutions or help would be appreciated.
Should I really be content with lesser performance from the new gear?
I think not.
Perhaps I should keep the XB6 and return the XB7?

Expert

• 

2.1K Messages

4 years ago

Just out of curiosity, will it let you do the same thing if you went to the xFi web portal?

https://internet.xfinity.com

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

4 years ago

The Comcast speed to the XB7 modem has improved lately, typically exceeding 1000 Mbps.
I have cancelled my postponed service visit after alerting the empathic local new installation manager about the concrete xFi test data evidencing the fluctuating provisioning issue.
I suspect he was able to orchestrate the fix with the maintenance department without disclosing the root cause of the problem.
This appears to be real progress. But the stable provisioning has not translated into better 5 Ghz network speeds throughout the house commensurate with those previously enjoyed with the XB6.

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

4 years ago

Thats good to hear oldmanriver1. I had an outage a few hours and it was indicated on the outage map. All was back up in some 6 hours and stable. Agree with you on the 5ghz and xb7, it has about a 20 foot less radius power area. With it moved from near a window to the other side if the room, more centered to the house and still upstairs I get wifi, but my downstairs directv box and firestick need the 2.4ghz for that strong signal, that were 5ghz. I still don't get 1000 out or your test to the modem even on the ethernet test, more in line with 950, and half that on the s10+ if I sit 5 feet from the xb7. If downstairs maybe 230 on the s10+. I find just turning off the phone wifi and using the att 4g lte while at home works fine and gives better battery life. Thanks for the update

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

Do you know if any firmware update has fixed the horrendous Wifi coverage it had ( a known fault that they shipped with)? I got gig xfinity 3 month ago, and within 2 weeks , I had to put it in bridge mode and but a google nest wifi solutiopn. I was getting 900mbps intpo house , but ONLY 60 mbps from 1 FOOT away on 5 testing devices. It then droped to below 20 mbps one room away and no connection 2 rooms away. thx 

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

4 years ago

To simonoaks - we don't know the devices you test. S10+ can get the wifi6, when close to the xb7. Newer laptops or phones can probably get the 802.11ac speeds for speeds in the 100 120 speeds. Older laptops may just be able to run 892.11n, I suggest in the 50 to 90 speeds, then real old may just get the 802.11g speeds for 20mbps or so. With that said, if walls are between the device and xb7, and you use the same name for the 2.4 and 5ghz channels - this xb7 5ghz is sooo weak your device may grab the stronger signal from the 2.4ghz and boom, you show worse speeds. As I posted before, my directv and prime firestick downstairs get a stronger signal from 2.4ghz so I use it. I named my 2.4 and 5ghz channels different names so I can know which I am attached to. Using the same name your device grabs the strong signal, with seperate names I may get a weaker signal but maybe faster throughput. On my older laptop it doesn't even recognize 5ghz, so I bought an external USB antenna and it pushes faster speeds but not ac or ax. Sooo, xb7 wifi6 is marketing hype for the newest devices, that are REAL CLOSE to the xb7 and it sure seems the 5ghz is much less powerful than the xb6. I'm not aware of any firmware upgrades to goose that 5ghz. And I still don't have the speedtest that oldmanriver1 has shown that tests to the modem, I can just test to my s10+.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Same here and they have no problem with charging the money for a service not being received. And my up is 35. They 1GB in bold but 940 in fine print. I even went and replaced the xb7. After reading this forum I now know it's Comcast. Unfortunately I'm stuck until fiber hits my neighborhood.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I'm in the Memphis area as well and can confirm everything you said. Some days my 1GB service going directly to the modem on a cat7 is getting 296-350 and sometimes 60. I have a tech come back out and really has no idea.
I added a MoCa network to minimize it being worse for some devices.

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

4 years ago

The measured low connection speed to the XB7 persists intermittently.
The xFi app urges me to restart the modem to fix the issue, but after a handful of failed fixes I am urged to schedule a tech visit.
In the meantine I was able to reach an overseas Internet tech who admitted for the first that there were connection issues with the XB7 and some devices.
He told me that he was prepared to reprovision my XB7 at an enhanced level, but two attempts to do this from afar failed to reboot my modem.
When we coordinated for me to disconnect the XB7 power cord temporarily, he promised to call me back if we were disconnected. But he never did. That made no change.
With a second wind later in the afternoon I spoke with another overseas Internet agent who agreed that trying another version of the XB7 (not the Technicolor model) might be better than rolling a truck.
He could not specify the CM version with the Puma chipset I requested, but he assured me that it would be an "updated XB7" model.
Let's hope that order does not get mysteriously cancelled as others have been in the past.
I subsequently cancelled my service call because if the third XB7 modem also is problematic, then there would be a better case for a tech visit.
Of note, it is typically necessary to wait to speak to a billing supervisor in order to receive service credits for failure to receive consistent gigabit speeds to the XB7 modem.
Personally, I insist upon tracking down these token monthly credits so that there is a trail for the corporate bean counters to know that everything in my area is not OK while maintaining a certain level of optimism.

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

4 years ago

Seems we agree, it ain't what its billed as. I was down again for several hours 10/20 from midnight to 5am. I clicked for text notifications and it replied not available, and affected 2,500 of us.. speed seems the same, ethernet popping 850 to 940 or so, wifi right beside the xb7 on s10+ 400 something, and it drops good downstairs. I get delays going to different sites, like the packets sent are blocked or getting kicked back for retransmission. If you saw the movie LUCY, where she is moving screens painting fast- sure wasn't comcast wifi!! Of course it could be all the Shelby county kids doing their classes on line.... I didn't know there was another version/company build for the xb7. I'd give that a try too, but what they have flat does not work as far as consistent speed, fast connections, or reliability. This is why I canceled my phone years ago. I needed a phone, and internet was dropping all the time. Can't imagine having the phone/internet/TV bundle! Glad I have at&t unlimited 4glte as a backup. Let us know if you get that new xb7, model and all so we can try for one if yours works. Ed

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

4 years ago

The replacement XB7 came rather quickly via UPS, but it was yet another Technicolor unit. I went ahead and installed it but the results were disheartening. Among other issues, the new unit's upload speeds were so slow that the xFi app utility for measuring speed to my modem would not complete its cycle with a numerical output. A reboot did not aid the problem. Increased latency was an issue, too.
So I quickly disconnected the unit (my 3rd XB7) and reinstalled my existing XB7-T that often receives gigabit speed from Comcast to the modem.
The UPS shipment was relatively hassle free, and it was worth a try before pursuing other avenues.
The fact that two XB7 modems with identical model numbers and firmware versions do not perform equally is somewhat troubling.

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

4 years ago

Yet another round of xFi Comcast "speed to my xb7 modem" tests fell short, often far short, of the 900 Mbps acid test that triggers a request to restart the modem.
Multiple reset speed test to the modem failures then trigger a message to schedule a tech visit via chat for a closer look.
I have gone through this scheduling process a handful of times this last month only to cancel the standing appointment when the provisioning seemed to improve to a maximum level of around 1165 Mbps. But that never lasted.
But this time I will keep the appointment even though experience has taught me that an entry level tech visit's response will be that there is nothing wrong due to the intermittent nature of the measured shortfalls.
Maybe a more efficient updated Cat 6e or Cat 7 drop line to the house will ease the provisioning constraint? I prefer to remain optimistic.
Keep in mind that it is likely impossible for 5 Ghz XB7 wireless speeds to match the former XB6 speeds if the modem provisioning is often fluctuating below the gigabit range, which has been the norm since upgrading modems.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I also noticed the gateway speed test was removed.  I think this is a disgrace considering that's the only way to test the speed coming in to the house.   I have a gigabit plan but not close to that speed on my hardwired connection to my computer using cat7 cables.   Have had techs come out and they do nothing.  Now I feel xfinity doesn't want us to know the incoming speed.

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

4 years ago

dave6g- agreed, I never got the test loop to the modem. Just the device which is just my s10+ or directv genie.

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

4 years ago

I have previously posted a screen grab of what the speed to the modem test offering looks like on the xFi app.
Now with the tool restored, these deficient to the modem test results in the 400, 600, and 800 Mbps ranges are the concrete stuff that provide leverage for service credits from supervisors in the often maddening, time intensive process of Comcast chat and phone agents.
I hope the app firmware update is released in your region soon.

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

4 years ago

oldmanriver1 - yes I saw your test to the modem post earlier, but I still just get the test to my device. If I read daveg6 right he says that test is gone now to the modem for him. I replied to your earlier post about 6e or 7 cable but it doesn't show. You shouldn't need newer cable as what you have worked well on the xb6 didn't it? I'm convinced the xb7 is hype with a near worthless wifi6 and a proven weaker transmitter for 2.4 and 5ghz.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here