oldmanriver1's profile

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

Monday, June 15th, 2020 5:00 PM

Closed

XB7 vs XB6 initial performance disappointment

My wired download speed on the XB6 was over 1100 Mbps. The wired speed on the new XB7 caps out at 950 Mbps.
Is this modem relatively deficient, or has the overhead cushion on my gigabit service been eliminated?
The wireless speeds are also not as robust throughout the house as the service I enjoyed with the XB6, either.
But that could also be a function of skimping provisioning.
Bottom line, this new piece of hardware has not created a good impression, and it certainly has not lived up to its marketing hype so far.
I have already wasted over an hour with clueless, unempowered chat agents trying to get my previous overhead provisioning restored.
Any suggested solutions or help would be appreciated.
Should I really be content with lesser performance from the new gear?
I think not.
Perhaps I should keep the XB6 and return the XB7?

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

4 years ago

I was finally able to confirm from the xFi app that the Internet speed to my new XB7 modem is in fact often languishing in the 600 to 800 Mbps range instead of the 1 gigabit speed I am supposed to receive.
This, despite being told my multiple agents that everything was fine.
To be continued...

Frequent Visitor

• 

22 Messages

4 years ago

Brah same here. I have mt XB7 Briged to my XR500 Pro Gaming Router an my speeds get degraded to as low as 200MBPS an upload degraded to 28 mbps! Its stupid man! 

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

4 years ago

I think everyone ought to be fair minded in these posts, but the fact that the xFi app option to measure speed to my modem has now been removed as a clickable option does not pass "the smell test."

Expert

• 

2.1K Messages

4 years ago

It’s a known issue according to here: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32739847-

From there:

XB7 Gateway UI is the same as for the XB6 Gateway. An upcoming XB7 firmware update will correct this with a new UI, release date not set.

WAN/LAN port speed issues when in Bridge mode. Workaround: Reset Gateway to Factory Defaults. Activate Gateway using xfinity.com/activate. After activation, change gateway password. Then enable Bridge mode. Firmware update will fix this issue, release date not set.

Compatibility issues with all Netgear Nighthawk and Orbi routers. Netgear and Comcast both have firmware updates planned to fix these issues, release dates unknown.

Various unspecified issues with Windows 10, with Microsoft working on patches.

Expert

• 

2.1K Messages

4 years ago

While mine showed the clickable area to run a Speedtest directly for the XB7 itself, mine clocked at 1.1 Gbps. It could be possible to have cable signal issues or the one you received could be defective. Things happen.

Check at http://10.0.0.1

I’m not denying the realness of getting 1.1 Gbps over a 1 Gigabit Ethernet Connection by 950 Mbps is more realistic to be achieving on a Gigabit Ethernet Connection. If you used the 2.5 Gb port with a 2.5 Gb NIC.

After checking signals, if you are just dissatisfied with its performance then go back to your XB6.

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you for your patient and informative responses.
There supposedly is a 2nd new XB7 shipping to me soon, and I have yet to return the XB6.
Life would be so much easier if the Comcast agents immediately acknowledged the known issues.
Just like my failed Xi6 internet cable box ultimate install failure before opting for a 2nd 4K DVR, this feels like I am paying to be a beta tester once again.

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

4 years ago

I have received service credits for my hours of wasted time with chat agents. That buys some patience on my part.
Three times a replacement XB7 was promised to be dispatched, with the first two being mysteriously canceled without adequate explanation.
Most troubling is the fact that any speed test to a server other than Comcast in Memphis, TN is registering well below the 300 Mbps download level.
This tends to further prove my concern that I am paying for gigabit service (like the performance I enjoyed on my former XB6 unit) but receiving far less reliable download speed with the XB7.
Previously with the XB6, my fast.com measured speeds were commensurate with the local Comcast speed test results.
Now my measured speed to Netflix servers caps out at just over 160 Mbps.
Again, adding insult to injury, chat agents represent that everything is OK, claiming no knowledge of known XB7 performance issues.
Surely someone in the Comcast tech universe understands what is going on here.
Additionally, but equally troubling, I keep reading the XB7 marketing piece that touts "unprecedented" wireless performance (which appears not be realized relative to the XB6 wireless performance in my single story home). I wonder if anyone in Philadelphia responsible for such dramatic, potentially deceptive and disengenous marketing claims is feeling guilty.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

The difference between 1100 mbps and 950 isnt really noticeable on one device. Most devices run perfectly fine even at 50-100 mbps. Large file download times would be the only way you would notice the difference. If you were seeing 1100 on a 1Gig service then that's the abnormality, not the other way around. Speed tests are accurate using only the comcast speed test and 1 device that's capable of 1G hard wired to the modem.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

You won't see 1G unless you have a device capable of 1G and its hardwired to the modem with no other devices on the network and using the xfinity speed test. Even at that it will usually max out between 950-970Mbps. The difference between 500 and 950-970 isnt noticeable unless downloading larger files. 1 device only needs 50-100 Mbps to operate perfectly fine.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Comcast is only responsible for its network. Testing with the xfinity speed test, with 1 device wired to the modem, and no other wired or wireless devices connected will give you the most accurate speed test. You cant expect a speed test to be 1G to every destination you test. That's not realistic. The xfinity speed test only tests to the xfinity server your service is fed from. Also, no broadband provider guarantees speeds on residential accounts. It's in the contract. Because of the type of network there can be fluctuations in speed.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Probably a signal issue

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

4 years ago

Weeks have passed and the wireless speeds throughout my home in far rooms for 5 Ghz devices on the 5 Ghz SSID are still relatively depressed and disappointing new with the XB7 relative to the former XB6 modem.

Where I once enjoyed reliable 300-450 Mbps connection in certain favorite nesting spots, I now only achieve 150-300 Mbps on my speediest devices. I consider that to be significant 5 Ghz performance drop, possibly due to a smaller number of 5 Ghz antennas in the XB7 - or the possible  inability to maintain steady 1000 Mbps provisioning pending a firmware update.

I have never had unrealistic expectations for gigabit level service. It was the dubious Xfinity marketing materials touting "unprecedented" XB7 wireless that has fueled my dissatisfaction, coupled with the unexplained removal of the xFi tool to measure the speed to my modem at will.

Nonetheless, your responses are appreciated.

Time will tell.

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

4 years ago

I'm going to follow this post. 

I just upgraded my service to 1gbs from 200mbs and got the XB7.  I am not seeing very good speeds with the XB7, but I am only on day 2, and I will continue to test.  I also have a self owned CM1000 modem and an Orbi RB50 mesh system so I might put the XB7 in bridge mode to see if that helps my speeds.

Thanks for posting.

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

4 years ago

Have you heard any new information about XB7 known issue resolution from reliable sources, please?

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

4 years ago

It's not that the XB7 router modem is not functioning. It always has.

The issue appears to be that wirelessly the XB7 in forced mesh mode is not optimized to deliver the fastest possible 5 Ghz speeds to the latest Wi-Fi capable devices (as opposed to my experience with the XB6 modem).

"Good enough" wireless speed seems to be the new goal, possibly due to additional throttling.

Automatic remote selection of 5 Ghz channel frequency (in particular) is often detrimental to the known best local frequency option.

Life is a relative experience. If one has enjoyed a certain level of gigabit performance, and then it was dialed back to a significant degree (like my 5 Ghz Wi-Fi speeds throughout my home), it's difficult to believe that our family is receiving fair value for the premium Internet speed tier we are paying for monthly.

I have agreed to wait for a 90 day period (with token good faith service credits) to see if firmware updates to the XB7 will improve the 5 Ghz speed and wireless signal strength situation.

It will be interesting to see if the XB7 is working as designed or a work in progress with firmware improvements coming down the line near-term.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here