CSRHumes's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, September 22nd, 2019 5:00 PM

Closed

Wireless Access Point

I’m trying to get wireless coverage in my backyard, and want to be able to set up an xfinity wireless cable box in that same area. Is it possible to run network cable from my xFi gateway to a switch, and then connect an aftermarket outdoor access point to that switch? Will the wireless xfinity box be able to connect?

Thanks for any help on this.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

5 years ago

I had a similar setup for a while and it worked perfectly. (xFi Gateway --> Netgear GS208 switch --> Apple Airport Extreme 6th gen in AP (Bridge) Mode.)

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks. So dumb question here as I am really a noob when it comes to networking: Will the AP broadcast as the xfinity wireless network (I assume thats what bridge mode is)? Will there be any issue trying to connect the wireless cable box?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

You can’t use a wireless box while your modem is in bridge mode. Use the Xfinity Stream app on a Roku instead.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

5 years ago

@CSRHumes wrote:

(I assume thats what bridge mode is)? Will there be any issue trying to connect the wireless cable box?

Bridge mode is a toggleable feature that turns a combo cable modem / router gateway device (all-in-one) in to a straight / plain vanilla cable modem (no routing or WiFi features).

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

@CCAndrew wrote:
You can’t use a wireless box while your modem is in bridge mode. Use the Xfinity Stream app on a Roku instead.

Understood. I don't plan plan on putting the xfinity modem in bridge mode. My main question is, if I run an aftermarket wireless access point that will be wired to a switch, that is wired to the xfinity gateway, will the xfinity wireless cable box be able to use the signal from the wireless access point? All I want the access point to do is broadcast the same signal the gateway broadcasts. Again, I'm terribly new to all this and wanted to invesitgate before I purchase any hardware.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

@EG wrote:

@CSRHumes wrote:

(I assume thats what bridge mode is)? Will there be any issue trying to connect the wireless cable box?

Bridge mode is a togglable feature that turns a combo cable modem / router gateway device (all-in-one) in to a straight / plain vanilla cable modem (no routing or WiFi features).

I think I understand that part now. So my main question is will the xfinity wireless box work on a signal broadcast via an aftermarket wireless access point? I plan to wire the gateway to a switch, then wire the switch to the access point. Ultimately, I want the access point to broadcast the same signal the gateway would broadcast.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Did this get solved ?! I’m trying to do the exact same thing at my place. Any help appreciated.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here