-Enter-'s profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Thursday, March 26th, 2020 8:00 AM

Closed

Why upload speed is so slow?

My monthly Internet plan is 100mbps.

The actual download speed is around 115mbps but the upload speed is merely 4mbps, that is only 3% of what is claimed to be. I understand that because Comcast use Coaxial Cable to transfer data so upload will be slower than download but a 4mbps is unacceptable speed! The competitor provider Verizon provides fiber optic and their down/upload speed is equivalent.

When could Comcast fix the upload speed problem?

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

4 years ago

@-Enter- wrote:

My monthly Internet plan is 100mbps.

The actual download speed is around 115mbps but the upload speed is merely 4mbps, that is only 3% of what is claimed to be. I understand that because Comcast use Coaxial Cable to transfer data so upload will be slower than download but a 4mbps is unacceptable speed!

You didn't mention what the download speed on your plan is supposed to be, nor what method you used. See: Internet Troubleshooting Tips 

Upload speeds at your tier would typically be either 5 or 10 mbps, depending on your service package. The way to tell would be to log into your Account page, click the Devices tab on top, then scroll down to the bottom showing your internet Data use. Your plan will be listed on the histogram box.

@-Enter- wrote:

The competitor provider Verizon provides fiber optic and their down/upload speed is equivalent.

And? You just answered that with your previous statement: DOCSIS is inherently unbalanced. Symmetric speed is a distinct advantage of fiber, unfortunately it isn't as widely deployed as we would like to really be competitive. Telcos have pretty much ceded the wireline internet market to the cable companies. 

@-Enter- wrote:

When could Comcast fix the upload speed problem?

Upgrade to a higher speed tier if you really think you need faster upload speeds. I have Gigabit, for instance, which is 1000/35 and it suits my needs perfectly. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Your upload and download will never be the same. For example the upload for Gig service is 40mbps. So, what you’re seeing is pretty close and correct. I’m not sure what “claim” you’re referring to

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I have a 100Mbps download/5Mbps upload line. I currently get approximately 60Mbps download/ 0.6Mbps upload speed  during the day. That makes it very hard to work. Speeds are ok in the middle of the night, but 0.6Mbps is impossible for me to work with. A service technician, who came to investigate, said that there is nothing they could do. Xfinity is trying to upgrade their equipment and it will take some time.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

i pay for 1200 mbps download and im only getting around 350mbps with 0.3-1mbps upload....

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

@user_5c2b5b

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks.  Year old dead now being closed.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here