Metalbass1's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Friday, September 25th, 2020 10:00 AM

Closed

Why is Comcast Internet UPLOAD speed so slow?

The year is almost 2021. Everyone is going online with digital devices, TV, Security Camera, video call, and remote works from home.

I ran through several issuses and slowdown for almost 3 weeks now.  I can't do any video meetings due to the SLOW UPLOAD speed 5Mbps.  The download speed is fine but the upload speed is so bad. I have to disable my security cameras whenever I have to do the remote works. THis is RIDICULOUS!!!

What is going on? Why is Comcast not increasing the upload speed espcially during CoVID-19 pandemic?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

4 years ago

It's a limitation of the current DOCSIS system. There is limited bandwidth available for upstream with most setups. It takes physical changes to Comcast's cable network and newer DOCSIS versions to allow more upstream bandwidth.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Metalbass1 wrote:

The year is almost 2021. Everyone is going online with digital devices, TV, Security Camera, video call, and remote works from home.

I ran through several issuses and slowdown for almost 3 weeks now.  I can't do any video meetings due to the SLOW UPLOAD speed 5Mbps.  The download speed is fine but the upload speed is so bad. I have to disable my security cameras whenever I have to do the remote works. THis is RIDICULOUS!!!

What is going on? Why is Comcast not increasing the upload speed espcially during CoVID-19 pandemic?

What upload speed are you subscribed to ? 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

My plan is 175Mbps and just found out 2 weeks ago the upload speed is 5Mbps.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

O/k so are you getting around 5 Mbps ? If so, you are getting what you pay for. If you need more, you can get it if you upgrade to a faster speed tier. If you upgrade to the Gigabit speed tier, you can get 35-40 up / 1000 down.

Contributor

• 

393 Messages

3 years ago

For what it's worth, I have had no problems having video meetings in Zoom and Skype throughout 2020 and I'm on a 70Mbps/5Mbps plan.  The only tip I can give is that in my home, doing either Zoom or Skype on the Wi-Fi has issues, but plugging into the ethernet is rock-solid.

As for the last post, yep, everyone advertises whatever they choose to advertise, but you can find reviews and other data before signing up.  For example, here's some data on Comcast's internet plans: https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast_Xfinity/wiki/knowledgebase/troubleshooting/internet-checklist#wiki_3._have_you_run_a_speed_test.3F

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

How do you say they are getting what they paid for?  NEVER have I been offered a plan based on upload speed.  I probablly lost it in the details and didn't know to ask but I have never seen the upload speed mentioned anywhere when I signed up.  That said, I did increase to 300 MBPS and the upload speed doubled to 11 from around 6 but the down load stayed virtually the same.  

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here