Cookies001's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

22 Messages

Sunday, October 13th, 2019 9:00 AM

Closed

Upgraded from blast 150mbs to Xfi 300mbs, now getting under 100mbs

Hi, we where just upgraded to the new gateway after upgrading the speed of our internet from the blast package.  We have always had a rock solid 150 download here and never had a single issue in the past, however after the upgrade we now regularly test at under 100...

we CAN eventually get up to our 300 speed cap, however it's so wildly inconsistent and up and down as the tests are run.  His isn't normal for our connection at all.  

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Official Employee

• 

124 Messages

5 years ago

Hi @Cookies001 

I took a look at your account and of all the speedtests you ran, I only see one that is 103. There are some that are under 300, but the majority of the results I see are over 300. I also don't see any records of previous speeds test (prior to upgrading). Could you please let me know what you were using to measure your speed prior to upgrading? 

Also- I wanted to share these articles that help explain what the speedtest measures and why the results seem to vary 

https://speedtest.xfinity.com/tips-and-tools/device-vs-plan

and 

https://www.xfinity.com/hub/internet/wifi-101-speed-for-every-device

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Thanks,

Hana

Frequent Visitor

• 

22 Messages

5 years ago

32C4DC23-1086-4BF4-B0F4-BF9B7BC7DD3C.jpeg3ACA4650-7471-4E05-B291-5C01BF2B9962.jpegYou have no records of your own speed test before this because it was never required for us to have to use it, the other speed testing methods/applications have always shown zero reasons to be concerned, the connection was always consistent and relabile regardless of who's service the speed test was being offered from

IE: before the upgrade to our service and the usage of checking multiple sources was simply not needed.  For clarification, in this event we have been mainly been using Speedtest, fast.com and the xfinity speedtest along side numerous other Web browser based and application based connection tests, All testing to the same local server/s tested on wired and wireless devices. 

every single speed test (including your own) shows problems with the consistency of our connectivity.  You will often have to do three or four tests before the actual speed goes over anything approaching 100 and tries to remain stable. 
part of the issue isn't just the end measurement speed we are getting, it's how long it's taking to get up to speed and how in flux the connection is.  We have tested as low as 70 consistently through every other speed test, our lantency is now all over the place as well.   Loaded lantecy is as high as 900ms while non loaded is 12...test again to the same server and lantecy lowers, test again the loaded lantecy will rocket back up to the hundreds and non loaded spikes upwards to the near hundred mark. Our connectivity has gone from a stable and realible 170mbs  with an immediate ramp up to that speed with both loaded and non loaded lantecy averaging around 13ms a piece to 100mbs and anywhere in between at any moment with a loaded lantecy of anywhere between 50 to 900ms.  

if this was the result of upgrading, it wasn't worth it.  We CAN reach our speed cap of 300mbs, however our connection takes so long to get their and the lantecy has become so unstable after this upgrade that we now wish we had never bothered.  

we also seem to have inherited some lovely WiFi drops with this new router...but, that's another topic I suppose.  

Frequent Visitor

• 

22 Messages

5 years ago

I'm not sure why my photos are not appearing, so I will try this again. 
these are recent and on your own speedtest. This is what we are dealing with now.  YES, we can eventually reach upwards of 300, however it's wildly inconsistent from moment to moment.  All devices wired and wireless are affected.  

three tests on your own speed test. 

63.7 (wireless) 

33.9 (wireless) 

103.5 (wired) 

if you only have "one" test showing under or around 100mbs, you need to look again or your internal system is not recording the data correctly.  I have dozens of screenshots proving otherwise, including dozens more from other speed test sites and applications that you as a provider will no longer accept towards issues such as these.  
again, the issue isn't that we cannot reach our packages high speed, it's that the speed is so inconsistent that one moment it will be 340 and the next it will be 120 and the next it will be 90 etc etc etc.  this is all on a previous connection that with blast internet that never had issues with either speed or consistency.  We are now REGULARLY getting speeds worse than we did on a lower tier package with a higher tier one.  

if we could be assured our connection would be resorted as it was, we would immediately go back to blast as the speed and connection was realible and consistent across all respects 

ED7803BE-706D-485C-9090-F2D9A008A86C.jpeg05BFFB6D-E757-4175-BF57-49ED2A20C3CD.jpegF4380B39-4AFC-4609-9479-BD6D8558AC82.jpeg

Official Employee

• 

124 Messages

5 years ago

Hi @Cookies001 

I took a look at the screenshots. In a couple of them it looks like you're running the speedtest while on LTE. To test home network speeds that are being delivered to your phone you'll need to be connected to the home network via WiFi. This is probably why I can't find the 63.7 and 33.9mbps results  

I can escalate the issue about your WiFi dropping to look at the health of your new gateway. I'll respond with the feedback I hear.

Thanks,

Hana

Thanks,

Hana

Frequent Visitor

• 

22 Messages

5 years ago

Yes you are correct.  
I must not have noticed the router drop me from the WiFi again before taking those two tests. I had been getting similar results on all of our wired devices (without lte) so I was not really looking at the connection on my phone at the time of taking the tests posted. 
it still does not explain why our wired connections of the other devices in the home alongside the previous tests all have run so poorly however. They all previously ran fine, the only change has been the service upgrade and the new router. I know you will not agree to take outside speed tests as results, however those are representative of outside connections and the actual performance we have been seeing.  That being 90 to 100, with anything approaching 300 being either so slow to actually get their or so unstable it will not just drop back up and down in to the 90s and 100s.  
considering before the upgrade we held 150 and often usually 170...I'm actually wondering what we are paying for now if it's running worse  than the slower speed package ever did.   

We have a technician coming out this afternoon, so I guess we will see what happens at this point.  

Frequent Visitor

• 

22 Messages

5 years ago

Issues seem to be resolved after tech visit. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

What did tech do.. we have seen drop in speed and reliability in last month or so.. I was seeing close to 250 down, and sometime with speed test I will see that briefly now, but more often, were seeing wifi drops and speeds drop as well. We are noticing connectivity wirelessly or wired has become an issue. This is a 1 year old tower modem and firmware is upto date..

Official Employee

• 

124 Messages

5 years ago

@Cookies001 

That's great. Please send me a note if you have other questions

Frequent Visitor

• 

22 Messages

5 years ago

• Spoke too soon. 
    we are now back to hovering around 100mbs down as our actual average speed for local and seeing lantecy spiking randomly regardless of what severs are polled.  Like I said, we "can" eventually reach close to 300mbs, however the average speed during testing is only around 100 down.  The ramp up is so slow that DL speeds never get to reach anything close to the cap unless you leave things long enough to time out. 

We can only achieve anything over 100 down on the closest servers to us (literally a few miles away) going only one state over (a few hundred miles) and our speed cannot even reach the 100mbs mark let alone be left long enough to ramp up to anything close to our DL speed cap.  

when the tech was here everything was working wonderfully, so their was really nothing for him to observe during his visit.  He changed the router, reset everything he could and checked the lines to the home where functioning as they should be in regards to voltages and physical health. Everything came back as healthy. It doesn't appear to be a issue on that front.  If it's simple shared neighborhood traffic lowering speeds it still doesn't make sense as to why with the lower tier package and different router we always pulled 150 with no ramping issues.  

screenshots are the same local sever being polled with 10 minutes between.  This is the type of inconsistency I am trying to relate.   Huge speed ramp up times with lantecy and compromised speeds.  This was never a problem before the upgrade, we now regularly see worse average speed than we did with blast.  

2 Attachments

Frequent Visitor

• 

22 Messages

5 years ago

This link has already been posted.  

None of these issues are related to what's happening.  As stated, connection was rock solid before the update and (forced) hardware change. 
tech checked line to and in the home, including the hardware used to to bring the line in to the home.  All the line and hardware used is your own.  This house was a completely new installation as of last year by your own technicians.  
internal settings all checked out similarly, nothing should be causing this type of issue.  
the tech left having no idea what could be causing these type of intermeinant issues with our service since everything should be good to go, he left baffled after being shown the results of the previous two days.  Hardware and settings wise, everything is prefect. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

In other words, what ComcastHana, Official Employee, is saying, "Call up customer support and explain to them that you aren't getting the Blast package."  That you want to go back to the previous package.  That if they, or a tech, can fix the internet connection issues you will to return back to the Blast package.

Edit?  I used, "resort," instead of, "go back."  Sorry for the grammar mistake.

Frequent Visitor

• 

22 Messages

5 years ago

The problem is that's now that we have upgraded our whole internet is bad.   
we have changed modems out a few times and swapped back the the old one that we had never had an issue with at all...its all behaving the same way now.  
whatever has happened did so when the flip was switched for a higher speed.  

nobody can answer why we pull worse speeds and lantecy with a higher tier package.  The tech was stumped.  

there is no reassurance that it will return to normal if we go back. Nobody can even answer why it changed to begin with.  Tech says everything checks out as far as hardware goes.  

Frequent Visitor

• 

22 Messages

5 years ago

We have started using our own router with the new gateway, which has stopped the intermittent dropping of WiFi devices. HOWEVER, we are still experiencing problems.  Devices will "eventually" read our speed cap, but whenever something is initiated  like a download our internet seems to cap us out as if it's being throttled.  Latency remains incredibly inconsistent when tested. One moment it will be 90 the next it will be 350 
Nobody seems capable of giving answers...

why did a simple change of service speed result in such issues? 
Our ipv6 connection is the worst.  It's all over the place with both the Comcast gateway and our own own router.  IPv4 remains consistent when engaged.  

can anyone actually answer wth is going in here? Are you guys capping certain traffic on unlimited plans? 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here