K8AM's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Friday, January 10th, 2020 8:00 AM

Closed

Speeds tanking at night, 7mbps

Hi everyone,

I'm having an insanely frustrating issue maybe someone can help me troubleshoot since Comcast isnt the least bit concerned with actually helping me solve. For at least 2 weeks now my speeds are extremely slow. I pay for the 300mbps speed and was told that 150 is appropriate and expected for WiFi. I'm not usually home during the day so I thought that these low speeds were constant. I'm seeing anywhere from single digit speeds to 15ish at night. At some points I cant connect at all.

I decided to check our neighbors Xfinity hotspot that's open to see if it worked. Seems they were having a similar issue, very slow, sometimes network was not visible.

I've called comcast and had them restart my modem a thousand times, had someone come to check outside because I figured it was something going on in the area. They sent someone out who insisted there was a low hanging cable so someone would have to come back. The guy came back today and said all the cables looked fine. I had him come inside to check my modem since he insisted it "must be my modem" and sure enough the connection was fine.
He told me to try changing the channel on my router (not sure how to do this) and see if it helps. Gave me some baloney about how different things in the area give off frequencies that might interrupt my signal.

Is this true? Why all of a sudden is my internet trash then in the past 2 weeks? Is this a comcast issue that they don't want to admit to?

Someone please advise. The only time I use my internet on weekdays is at night when I'm home from work, and I'm tired of paying so much for such bad signal.

Thanks in advance!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

For a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Adding to EG, using the hotspot isn’t a good comparison as you don’t know the distance you are from it. And it’s very possible for a neighbor(s) internet service to be clogging the same Wi-Fi channel that you use. Follow EG, he won’t steer you wrong!

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I'm having the same issue here and the same run around you described. Speed test this evening gave me a high of 3mbps and low of 1mbps. What the heck is going on!

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

@Petrdixon1 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks. Year old dead now being closed.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here