29464's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

20 Messages

Saturday, June 27th, 2020 8:00 AM

Closed

Sonos connection with xb7 gateway

I have a new xfininity gateway, Model Numbers: CGM4331COM, Friendly Model Name: XB7. I am trying to connect my Sonos speakers to the WiFi network, but the Sonos app will not connect to the network. I am using the 2.4 ghz WiFi network. I have been on the phone with Sonos tech support, but they are unfamiliar with the router and have been no help. I am close to purchasing my own modem and using my own router unless I can get my speakers to work. Now I have one speaker plugged directly to the router with an Ethernet cable, but still no network connectivity.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I'm having the same probelm. I tried getting a sonos boost to help connect the speakers to the router and change the dual frequency of the gateway to a single frequency but the speakers still cannot connect. Both sonos and xfinity don't seem to be of any help. Please let me know if you find a solution and I will do the same!

Frequent Visitor

• 

20 Messages

4 years ago

I hooked up an old router to the gateway and the sonos network immediately recognized the old router's wifi network. Thinking of buying my own modem and doing away with the gateway. Hope this helps. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I'm having the same issue......

I have older equipment...a bridge, a gen1 Play5, a newer Play3, and a 2 year old Play1.

I had everything working for about 3 days after initial setup. Then the Xfi gateway would lose the system and the only way to get it back was to reboot the gateway. doing this everyday just to listen to music was quickly becoming a pain in the *** !! I finally got thru to Sonos and they had me remove the bridge from the setup completely. We hardwired the Play5 to the gateway and then the other 2 speakers came back online. HOWEVER .....   20 minutes later the Play 1 and Play3 were gone and I could not get them back. Somehow the Play 3 appeared 20 minutes after that, but then it disappeared again. I tried to hardwire the Play1 but no luck. I decided to walk away for 5 minutes and try again. I removed all the players from the router device list, and hardwired the Play1, but the Sonos controller wouldnt see it. I finally got fed up and went to bed.

I had ordered a new 5.1 surround set up with the Arc, sub and 2 new ONEs. So I know my bridge and Play5 will not work with the S2 controller I will need for the new gear.

And wouldnt you know it, my connect amp just arrived that I ordered in order to be able to connect a CD player and turntable to my system, so I have to use the S2 controller for that.

Maybe I should do a factory reset on the Play 1 and 3 and set up a new account and see what happens. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

I have a CGM4331 Technicolor modem and several Sonos speakers.  In any updating with the Sonos web site, I have learned that my PC Firewall must be temporarily stopped, and my wifi status on the computer is on.  Doing this I have had no problems with my Sonos management.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

I recently installed xb7 gateway, had to manually plug in each of my speakers to the gateway to set them up manually.   Every night when Xfinity reboots the router at 3 am, i loose all speakers and have to redo the setup every single day.   This is completely unacceptable.  It was working just fine before I upgraded my gateway device.   Any ideas?  Very frustrated, i can't to this every day to listen to music.  😞

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Are you sure Xfinity reboots your modem each evening.  Xfinity here in South Carolina does not reboot my Technicolor modem unless I ask them to do it.  I usuually reboot my modem myself once a week for its health, and I do not need to reattach my Sonos collection of speakers.  Somehow see if you can have Xfinity stop this nighttime reboot.  It sounds more like a modem RESET, not a reboot.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

I confirmed last night at 3 am it did NOT reset/reboot, however I still can not see any of my Sonos speakers, I have 1 Move, 2 One SL and 2 Play3.   I have dragged them all to the gateway and plugged them in to set them up manually.  This is every day....  Any insights as to why they keep disappearing?

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Sorry about this hassle.  Through time I have found that my PC antivius/firewall created all sorts of issues.  For example, if I was to get a new router, I would temporarily turn off the firewall to get my Sonos speakers listed through the Sonos control app.  When the firewall was on, I could not find my speakers.  Also, make sure your antivirus and firewall programs are not stopping this process.  I am using Avast Antivirus/Firewall, and it has allowed me to list Sonos as compatible and allowed it to NOT be stopped by the antivirus program.  You may want to try this also.  Best of luck.

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

4 years ago

I have multiple SONOS devcies conneted to the XB7 modem wihout any issues. My primary connection for SONOS to the XB7 is through a SONOS BOOST. This is the same configuration that I have used for years on AT&T U-VERSE and now Comcast. I have both wired and wireless SONOS devices. I am using SONOS Net instead of the normal Wifi. With SONOS Net you have to have one SONOS device wired to the modem / router. I am not sure if this requirement is the same when using standard WiFi.

Questions

1. After you connected the SONOS to the XB7 did you check for updates? 

I would reach out to SONOS technial suppport for assistance.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I have the same issue. New and "improved" gateway modem for better coverage! Ugh. So far: 

Xfinity tech = 3 hours

Sonos phone support = 3 

Sonos online support = indicates modem must connect to playbar - impossible as each are wired in differrent rooms. 

Ultimatley no solution. No one wants to own the issue.

Thinking I need to return to my old modem I had purchased along with google mesh pods to improve the coverage I had hoped to get..and simply get my sonos back up and running. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you for your help - however I 4 play 1’s and did try to connect them to the modem with the Ethernet cable without success. Sonos suggested connecting the play at to the modem but that is impossible for me as they are in opposite parts of the house and play bar Hard wired, installed. It has been interesting that neither xfinity nor Sonos appear to have encountered this or have a solution. I sent them the link to this forum to share there may be a broader problem. Thanks again.

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

CW1962:  Is the playbar in the other room your only Sonos speaker?  I have seven Sonos speakers in several rooms.  When I switched to this XB7 modem/router, it initially would not recognize any of the Sonos speakers.  I needed to directly wire one of my sonos speakers by ethernet into the XB7 modem.  If the playbar is your only Sonos speaker, then you need to bring it to the XB7 modem and connect it by ethernet.  I also had to temporarily disable my Avast firewall (this was absolutely necessary).  Run through the Sonos App again and my PC recognized the Sonos system. Some of my other Sonos speakers needed to be rebooted to join the Sonos system now activated on my PC.  This may be worth a try.

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I had the same issues. Everything was working fine and then after a few days, the speakers disappeared. Very frustrasting. 

Luckily I can connect my Beam to the XB7 gateway via Ethernet/wire and the speakers all (re)appeared after I rebooted them individually (Play:1, Play:3, Amp, Move)

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

4 years ago

Please describe how you are connecting each SONOS device to you modem.  The XB7 has four Ethernet ports on the back. I am not sure if the XB7 supports the RSTP protocol whcih is required if you have more than one SONOS device connected via a wired connection.

I have a XB7-T modem connected to a TP-LINK T2600-52TS 48 port  Managed Ethernet Switch. I have have both wired and wireless SONOS devices connected. I am also using a SONOS BOOST as the first wired device. All of the Ethernet Switch ports connected to SONOS have RSTP "Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol" turned on.  The switch needs to properly pass the BPDU "Bridge Protocol Data Unit" frames  that contain information about the spanning tree protocol.

If the Ethernet Switch does not support RSTP then what happens is the combination of a wired and wireless system will potentially create a "Broadcast Storm".  This will then cause the network to start having communication issues.

The following SONOS article will tell you how to determin the specific setup that your system is using. All of my SONOS devcies have WM: 0 which indicates SonosNet

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3237?language=en_US

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

After the 3rd factory reset of my xb7, it’s finally working. Finally saw all my Sonos speakers (move, SL one’s and Play 3’s) and successful reconnected to my Sonos account. I sincerely hope they don’t disappear again if I lose power or the router resets. Ugh
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here