Community Forum

Slow internet

Highlighted
New Poster

Slow internet

I just bought a new modem to handle the 200 Mbps internet I'm paying for, but I'm not getting any better speeds. I get maybe 70 Mbps when I run a speed test. I've reset all the equipment multiple times. Why am I not even getting half of what I'm paying for? And I'm testing it with a wired connection, so it's not just because I'm on wifi. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Slow internet

What model/brand router do you have?  The router does most of the work.  Modem doesn't make much difference, it works or it doesn't.

Highlighted
Expert

@JPark1 wrote:

I just bought a new modem to handle the 200 Mbps internet I'm paying for, but I'm not getting any better speeds. I get maybe 70 Mbps when I run a speed test. I've reset all the equipment multiple times. Why am I not even getting half of what I'm paying for? And I'm testing it with a wired connection, so it's not just because I'm on wifi. 

What do you get with a direct connection to the cable modem (no router in the mix) ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

The router is a Belkin N600
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

You're probably due for an upgrade, unfortunately.  I had netgear N600 router with similar speed issues.  When I replaced my router this week, no more speed issues.

Expert

@JPark1 wrote:
The router is a Belkin N600

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Slow-internet/m-p/3321157/highlight/true#M319536

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!