dmulholland's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Thursday, September 26th, 2019 9:00 AM

Closed

Repeating Internet Outages throughout the day

For approximately the past year, I have been experiencing repeated internet outages throughout the day and night.  There is no rhyme or reason to these. 

When an outage occurs, I no longer have an active connection to the internet, even though my modem lights show connectivity.  Sometimes, using the Xfinity App, it shows that there is connection to my modem.  Sometimes it shows there is no connection to the modem.  The outages can last a few minutes, or the outages can last a few hours. 

Often, I have to manually reset my modem to get my internet back.  Sometimes it just a matter of a power cycle to get it back.  Sometimes I also have to disconnect/reconnect the cable coming into the modem.  If I am not in proximity of my modem, I will try to do a reboot using the Xfinity App.  This works sometimes, and sometimes not.  When it does work, it usually requires at least two or three restarts using the App.

I check the app when I do the manual reboots in person.  I have also done reboots using the App when I was sitting next to the modem.  The App states a reboot is being done, but I never see the modem reboot.  It then said that connectivity and Internet was restored, but I still have no Internet connection.

Sometimes, the internet comes back, but only for a couple of minutes and drops again.  Sometimes, after doing a power cycle and reconnect of the physical cable, my internet will remain stable for a day to two days.  But invariably it begins to go out again.  It may go out once a day, and I have had it go out up to eight times in a day.

I take graduate classes online, including having to take my exams, which are timed, online.  I can't have my internet go out in the middle of an exam.  I also periodically telework from home and must have a stable internet connection.

I have just recently looked at my system and event logs on my router and found that these logs no longer show any information, whether I check by day, month, or year.  The firewall logs produce a report, but nothing is reported for system and event logs. 

I tried calling customer support when this first started happening.  It was always the same answer.  The person reading the script says "oh, so sorry" and then "let's reboot the modem," to which I argue that I have tried that numerous times.  The response is "Let's try again."  At some point connectivity is restored and the person on the other end says "All fixed, thanks for calling."  I try to tell them that this has not fixed the core problem, that the Internet will drop again soon, and their only response is "We have rebooted, you now have connectivity, is there anything else I can do for you today."

I have noticed many other people in the forums seem to encounter the same issue, and I hope that this can be escalated to higher technical level so I can get resolution to this issue.   It seems like the others who have encountered this issue have had success in getting it resolved, and I look forward to doing so also.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

5 years ago

What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

What is the exact make and model number of the modem ?

Is this a WiFi connection ?

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Cable Modem

HW Version:9.0
Vendor:ARRIS Group, Inc.
BOOT Version:4.2.0.39
Core Version:10.1.27B
Model:TG1682G
Product Type:XB3

Downstream

Index

SNR

38.61 dB

38.61 dB

38.61 dB

38.98 dB

38.61 dB

38.61 dB

38.98 dB

38.98 dB

38.98 dB

38.98 dB

38.98 dB

38.98 dB

Power Level

-3.10 dBmV

-2.40 dBmV

-2.60 dBmV

-3.20 dBmV

-2.70 dBmV

-2.00 dBmV

-1.90 dBmV

-2.30 dBmV

-2.60 dBmV

-2.50 dBmV

-2.60 dBmV

-3.00 dBmV

38.98 dB

38.98 dB

38.61 dB

38.61 dB

38.98 dB

38.61 dB

38.98 dB

38.61 dB

38.98 dB

38.61 dB

38.98 dB

38.61 dB

-3.70 dBmV

-3.30 dBmV

-3.00 dBmV

-2.40 dBmV

-2.50 dBmV

-1.90 dBmV

-1.20 dBmV

-1.10 dBmV

-0.70 dBmV

-1.20 dBmV

-1.90 dBmV

-2.60 dBmV

Upstream

Index

Power Level

52.25 dBmV

52.25 dBmV

50.75 dBmV

49.50 dBmV

I do have the wifi enabled, but only at 2.4 GHz.  I also have a wifi router attached.  However, I have the same issues regardless of whether the wifi router is on or off.  I have had two different wifi routers, and get the same issues with both them.  I have tried running without both of them and still have the same issues.

If it's any help, this issue started immediately after there was a wide area Comcast outage.  When Comcast reported that the outage was over and all services restored, I didn't have internet.  After being told to repower my modem, I got my internet back.  But, the outages started the next day. 

And if it's any help, I have been keeping logs of when the internet outages occur. 

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

5 years ago

The upstream power is high and it may be intermittently fluctuating even higher to out of spec levels. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, speed, packet loss, and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks. I will check. A tech came out several years ago - at least five years ago - and replaced all the splitters. The modem comes directly off the first splitter but it is a three or four way splitter. That splitter is a -130 DB and the rest which all go to cable boxes are all 5.5. Does the first splitter need to be -130? I will check all the connections and splitters and also replace the cable going to the modem.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

5 years ago

130 dB is typically the inter-port isolation rating, not the loss rating.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Based on your recommendations, I replaced the cable running from the modem to the wall and ensured all connections were good and tight.  I then replaced the first splitter on my incoming cable.  This first splitter had the coax for the cable modem and two other outputs.  After replacing the splitter, I only reconnected the modem.  Nothing else on the whole cable line except for the modem.   After taking thes two actions, the upstream power levels actually went up slightly.  Unfortunately, within an hour, I experienced another internet outage. 

However, it occured to me that since these outages first began immediately after a wide area outage. I should check my outside cable drop. My cable drop is also the hub for the street and connects everyone else on my street (I am the first house on the street).  In the past when there have been area outages, the techs have worked on my outdoor drop/hub.  Wondering if all these outage issues could be related to work that was done on my outside box when that widespread outage occured - maybe there was a loose connection there - I slid the cover off my drop and I found that the cable was bent at an extreme right angle, crimping the cable where the drop from my house was connected to the hub.  It looked like the hub had been pushed over closer to the cover and when the cover was slid back on, it bent/crimped the cable.  I pushed the hub back towads the middle, straightened out the cable, and very carefully placed the cover back on.

I am still getting the same upstream power levels as I did earlier that day.  However, it has now been 4 days since making that change and there has been no outages at all.  I have never made it more than 48 hours without the outages starting again.  I am hoping that this simple effort fixed the problem. 

Thanks for offering up the potential solutions to lead me to examine this and try this solution.  I would like to keep this open for a while longer just to ensure that I don't start experiencing outages again.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

So ... went one week without any internet outages.  Thought the problem was fixed.  Then had one on Sunday, one on Monday, one on Tuesday, none on Wednesday, one on Thursday, but three so far today. 

This weekend I will try connecting the modem straight to the incoming cable with nothing else at all on it ... no splitters, etc.  I will look to see what the power levels are coming straight from the drop and will report on that. 

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

5 years ago

O/k. Post back !

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

So after being lulled into a sense that all was well when my internet seemed to be functioning normally for about two weeks, the outages began again. This seemed to accompany a notification from Xfinity that my bandwidth speed was being increased.  The outages were initially anywhere from one to three minutes and they occured several times a day.  Within the last week, the routine of multiple outages a day that run from 10 to 45 minutes, or worse, that completely shut down my system requiring multiple manual restarts. 

The theory that my power levels were too high doesn't seem viable.  For the two weeks that the system worked with no problems, I had the same power levels.  Now that the outages are back, the power levels are actually a little lower than they were when I had no issues.

The continued issues again are significantly impacting my business and educational work that I need to do at home.  I will try again this weekend to connect the modem directly to the incoming cable with no other outlets attached (the modem is on the first splitter already, but I will remove all other cables) just to ensure that power levels don't change.

Link to the conversation about the original outage issue:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Repeating-Internet-Outages-throughout-the-day/m-p/3269696#M309289

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

5 years ago

Please post the latest signal stat figures.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Internet went out today (11/10/19) at about 12:23.  Here is the upstream power stats after it went out but before reset.

Index

Lock Status

Not Locked

Not Locked

Frequency

17.30 MHz

36.50 MHz

30.10 MHz

23.70 MHz

Symbol Rate

5120 KSym/s

0 KSym/s

0 KSym/s

5120 KSym/s

Power Level

48.50 dBmV

0.00 dBmV

0.00 dBmV

50.00 dBmV

Modulation

64 QAM

QPSK

QPSK

64 QAM

Channel Type

DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)

(Unknown)

(Unknown)

DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)

It came back up for about a minute  after a full manual reset that included unplugging both the power and the cable from the modem and then went back out again at 12:44 pm.

After this reset, all lights came on for modem – and it showed online – but there was still no internet coming through.  The 5 Ghz light continued to blink off and on (although the 5 GHz is disabled on this modem so not sure why that was blinking).  The Xfinity online app showed modem was not connected and when conducting troubleshooting, it stated that the modem was unresponsive

Immediately after a restart was attempted through the Xfinity app, the modem "online" and "Tel1" lights went out.

After a second manual restart (like above) was conducted, the internet came back.  Below are the upstream power stats after that restart.

Index

Lock Status

Frequency

17.30 MHz

36.50 MHz

30.10 MHz

23.70 MHz

Symbol Rate

5120 KSym/s

5120 KSym/s

5120 KSym/s

5120 KSym/s

Power Level

49.00 dBmV

51.25 dBmV

51.50 dBmV

50.25 dBmV

Modulation

64 QAM

64 QAM

64 QAM

64 QAM

Channel Type

DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)

DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)

DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)

DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)

A short while later, the internet went out agina.  After a full manual physical reboot like above (had to conduct twice), it came back up with the below upstream power stats.

Index

Lock Status

Frequency

17.30 MHz

36.50 MHz

30.10 MHz

23.70 MHz

Symbol Rate

5120 KSym/s

5120 KSym/s

5120 KSym/s

5120 KSym/s

Power Level

47.75 dBmV

50.25 dBmV

50.25 dBmV

49.00 dBmV

Modulation

64 QAM

64 QAM

64 QAM

64 QAM

Channel Type

DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)

DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)

DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)

DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)

Very brief intermittent outage, but it came back up by itself.

It was still functioning at 3:30 pm

Index

Lock Status

Frequency

17.30 MHz

36.50 MHz

30.10 MHz

23.70 MHz

Symbol Rate

5120 KSym/s

5120 KSym/s

5120 KSym/s

5120 KSym/s

Power Level

47.50 dBmV

50.00 dBmV

50.25 dBmV

49.00 dBmV

Modulation

64 QAM

64 QAM

64 QAM

64 QAM

Channel Type

DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)

DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)

DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)

DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

5 years ago

O/k so now there is only one upstream channel locked in your first latest shot and it is on the high side. Then the rest of the channels are still on the high side. Something intermittent is going on. An upstream / return path impairment would cause high power and the un-bonding of channels. Perhaps it would be best for you to now get a tech out to investigate. Good luck with it !

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

5 years ago

O/k so now there is only one upstream channel locked and it is on the high side. An upstream / return path impairment would cause high power and the un-bonding of channels. Perhaps it would be best for you to now get a tech out to investigate. Good luck with it !

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here