RyBlaser's profile

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

Thursday, March 26th, 2020 6:00 PM

Closed

Re: High Packet Loss / High Ping Issues

@EG wrote:

Apologies for losing track of your thread @JHC3.

Even though the signal stats looked o/k at that snapshot in time, The packet loss, latency, and jitter indicate that something is going on. Perhaps there is noise ingress into the line(s) somewhere.

There are other signal stat figures that can't be read by the modem. They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. They can check the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) for any real time degradation and / or error reports, see your node / cable plant and modem health, and see whether or not everything is in the green zone. They can also see a history plot for the modem and poll for those upstream receive signal stats.

You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

Do you think you can do the same for me? I am having the same exact problem and am getting no help from anyone on the phone or even the tech who came out to look over it. Thank you.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

4 years ago

Same thing for me I’ve talked to tons of people and nobody is able to help me...today I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told I’d receive a call in under 30 minutes. I never received a call

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Yep, I was told twice this week they would call me back in 1-2 hours.

Good luck, I'll update here if I get anything resolved.

Contributor

• 

179 Messages

4 years ago

In case these has not been considered & tried previously for these kinds of cases:  Diagnosis of packet loss is best done from top-down on the network, modular-wise, testing to disambiguate local-network packet-drops from packet-drops on the WAN.    So usually it is best to ignore the modem until verifying the higher layer protocols are not dropping the packets.    Also good to ensure there are no excessive packet drops on your residential network by constantly pinging your home router/gateway/hub with some app or CLI "ping 192.168.1.1 -s 999" and checking for packet drops with ^C and restarting the command, before & after crucial tests.    Btw, your home-router IP address isn't always 192.168.1.1.   It can be almost anything but usually isn't.   Sometimes its 192.168.0.1 .

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Below shows the packet loss when pinging "google.com"

https://imgur.com/MZF7QfD 

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for your reply bald, pinging the gateway and router shows no packet loss and  < 2ms of latency.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Update. 

So far today I have not have had any issues. Packets are solid and ping is 18 to 30 ms. 

I will update later today after traffic has picked up. 

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

@RyBlaser wrote:
Will someone be reaching out to me anytime soon? The internet is awful right now and when I call Comcast I can’t get past the bot. I’ve been having problems for over 2 weeks and nobody has been able to help me.

I'm going to re-escalate this for you. Please sit tight as the reps seem to be swamped what with the pandemic going on.

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

4 years ago

Alright thank you! Hopefully I can get this figured out soon.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.2K Messages

4 years ago

Hello RyBlaser, I am happy to look into your signals to what we can do about resolving your packet loss problem. Please send me a private message with your full name by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then click "Send a message" so that we can get started 🙂

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Hello,

Everyhting has looked good for a week. 0% packet loss. 

Not sure what changed but I am guessing comcast did some maintainance.

Thank you!

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

4 years ago

So I still have not figured out this problem and Comcast can not see any problems form their side. Does anybody have an info that can help?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.2K Messages

4 years ago

Hi Ryan, I apologize for my delay in response. I don't want you to feel like your left in the dark with this issue, I am here to help and I assure you I will see this thing through to the end 🙂 Would you still like a new modem sent? If so I'll get one out to you right away, and I'll even waive the shipping fee for you. How does that sound? 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.2K Messages

4 years ago

That sounds like a plan, let me know if you need any help activating the equipment or if you need anything else. Also this link will allow you to activate the equipment (https://comca.st/3efKhIo;

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

4 years ago

I actually just bought a new modem that I’m going to set up today...let me try that first and then I’ll let you know

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

4 years ago

Just set up my new netgear modem and I have the exact same problem. I have the speeds I pay for but I have bad ping and latency...not sure what to do at this point.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here