Clowe's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Tuesday, November 10th, 2020 11:00 AM

Closed

Re: Have to Recycle Power on Xfinity Modem/Router Constantly

I am having this same problem.  It's infuriating not being able to speak with anyone most of the time, and if I can get someone on the phone they just tell me to swap the router again. 

However, I found this thread https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/xFinity-Router-Gateway-is-blocking-a-specific-website/td-p/3340837#

This sounds like my problem, is it like yours?  There are specific websites that get blocked, but for me once it happens it will block everything.  As long as I don't go to any odd websites, which I have to do a lot for work, everything runs fine.  But when I trip something, I have to reset the Modem just like you describe.  Using a VPN seems to get around this, but it's not reasonable to run a VPN on my small children's computers.

>>>>Can anyone tell me where turn off the "Advanced Security"  as described in this old thread?<<<<  The software seems to have changed and the old instructions are no longer valid.  Xfinity automated system has hung up on me 3 times in the last two hours!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Clowe wrote:

>>>>Can anyone tell me where turn off the "Advanced Security"  as described in this old thread?<<<<  The software seems to have changed and the old instructions are no longer valid. 

Does this not apply ?;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-xfinity-xfi-advanced-security

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

No but thank you.  The link now leads to an App Download page and the descriptions from the webpage talks about an Advanced Security tab that doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

What about this;

Can I disable Advanced Security?
Yes. To disable the Advanced Security feature in xFi, select the Account icon from the top-left corner of the Overview tab on the xFi app and then select xFi Advanced Security. From here, select Disable under xFi Advanced Security and follow the on-screen prompts.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you again.

From the Account Screen, there is no advanced security option.  Options include:

-Billing Details

-Plan Details

-Activate xFi Gateway or Modem

-Privacy Center

-Privacy Policy

-Do Not Sell My Info

-Explore Help & Support Forums

-Terms of Service

I have clicked all these that have a chance of leading me somewhere productive.

Looking more closely, my app is just called Xfinity, not xFi.  But this is the app that comes up as the primary app when I search xFi in the playstore and is made by Comcast.  There is an actual XFI app but it is some type of music app.  

This reminds me of earlier Apple days when they wanted to have tight control over all your software/hardware and it led to decreased usability.  

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here