Dadandersen's profile

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, October 28th, 2020 10:00 AM

Closed

Parental Control Site Blocking Through 10.0.0.1 interface not working completely

I've found a unique problem that no one seems to be asking quite the same question. Chat support didn't help at all so here I am.

Using the Comcast provided Xfi router, with the Parental Controls engaged through the web interface, then using the directions from the site to block specific sites through the 10.0.0.1 IP address I am trying to block youtube.com from my kids' school provided Chromebook laptops.

For whatever reason simply listing HTTP://youtube.com (and www.youtube.com and https://youtube.com and every other variation I could think of) and then having their Chromebooks checked as "no" under 'trusted devices' does not stop youtube from running on their devices.

But JUST youtube. And JUST those devices. I can block any other site on those devices - at least the ones I've tried. And I can block youtube on other devices in my house like my Roku TV, my new Chromecast, my own laptop, etc. 

But what I really need to do is block it on the Chromebooks they use for school. Since they are provided by the school I do not have access to any settings on the devices themselves to install extensions or change the DNS settings or anything else. The school has been no help in blocking it from their side. So I need to block youtube from the router.

But it doesn't work. I don't know if Chromebooks use a different 'way' of going to the youtube site or something, but simply trying to block the URL doesn't work for the chromebooks.

HELP.

PS. I've also just  found that I cannot block it on our PS4. Not sure if that's related. But I'd like to block it there too.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Hello,

I had the same issue.  I blocked he following:

Under sites:

http://youtube.com

https://youtube.com

http://www.youtube.com

https://www.youtube.com

Under keywords:

youtube

This works for blocking youtube on all devices (roku, ps4,xbox,chrome books etc).  

However, I cannot get the trusted computer to work.  Theoretically, trusting a device allows the device to bypass the restrictions.  Trusted and Untrusted devices are blocked.

Good luck.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

As I stated in my original post, I have tried all those permutations of youtube's URL and they work, just not on Chromebooks issued by the school (though I have no other Chromebooks to test) nor do they work on the PS4. The devices in question are set to 'no' under 'Trusted'. 

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Nope, not in the least. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Did you end up figuring it out? 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

DadA - you might not be blocking all the YouTube sites. Eg I know iPads and phones hit m.youtube.com from the app - this might be old, but try these additional sites:
youtube.com
www.youtube.com
m.youtube.com
ytimg.com
s.ytimg.com
ytimg.l.google.com
youtube.l.google.com
i.google.com
googlevideo.com
youtu.be

There are probably more. You might have to dig around to find them.

I’m having a slightly different problem. I’ve followed the instructions to block tiktok on 10.0.0.1 - put the 8-9 different URLs they use...and it works...but sometimes it’s causing ALL content to be blocked...specifically when the iPads wake up from sleep time or unpause on xfi, suddenly Disney+ is blocked, Hulu is blocked etc...the only fix is turning off parental controls, rebooting, and turning them back on. Argh.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

My guess is you had no luck with this?  I've been researching options and trying to no avail.  The only thing I was able to do was put a site blocker extension on child's chromebook (though some extensions did not work due to "school administrator") via their google chrome account.

A few problems with it are:  1. The extension can be removed by anyone.  I basically had a virtual game of chess with my son with him removing and my readding.  Finally I told him if it was gone again I'd have him dial into class and work only from paper.

2.  I had to contact all of his teachers so they can give me a heads up when/if he'll need youtube for his class work, so I can allow access when needed & deactivate when it's not.

It's frustrating af

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I had this SAME issue. Kids watching youtube and not paying attention to his zoom class.

We had connected to a different network over the weekend (where the kids watched youtube). This browser session was somehow avoiding the blocks I had built into the parental settings and the kids were secretly logging into Youtube on Monday when classes started. I made my kid reboot his chromebook. When he tried to open Youtube and it wouldn't work I knew it had worked....mission accomplished.

Net-net, try rebooting the chromebook in question. Seemed to work on my kid's chromebooks.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

5 month old dead thread now being closed.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here