Ramblinatlfan's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

Friday, November 8th, 2019 1:00 PM

Closed

Not getting advertised speeds

Recently I have noticed a huge slow down in my internet speeds.  Web pages were slow to load, applications were slow to update incoming data, etc.

Checked 8 different speed test sites:

Sourceforge: sourceforge.png

Ookla: ookla.png

Fast.com: fast.png

AT&T: att.png

Verizon: verizon.png

Google: googlefiber.png

Xfinity: xfinity.png

Speedofme:

File won't load, but it was 52mbps down/22 up

As you can see, more than half of the tests are showing less than half of my normal download speeds, while xfinity/verizon/google fiber all show normal speeds.

Any ideas or recommendations?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

5 years ago

I was wondering why they weren't showing up!  Long story short, most of them are about half of my speed tier (300mbps) and some are as low as 50mbps down.

Google/Verizon/Xfinity show in the 300s, but my internet is not running like it's at that speed.

I will post a picture of my Netgear CM1000 info below,

https://imgur.com/HZiLgVK

[img]https://i.imgur.com/HZiLgVK.png[/img]

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

5 years ago

Can't see your pics. Since you are a new poster, they need to be approved by a Forum Admin. That could take some time. In the interim, you could try hosting them at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites like Imgur or Photobucket and post the link to them here.

Start here;

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/m-p/1253575#M94474

Post the requested info from here;

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Information-Requested-for-Connection-Related-Posts/m-p/1253381#M192739

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

5 years ago

This may not be the root cause of the problem but needs to be addressed regardless. 

The upstream power is on the high side and it may be intermittently fluctuating even higher to out of spec levels. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, speed, packet loss, and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

5 years ago

Everything is brand new construction, no splitters, and the last tech that was here showed me his meter running around 1gb/sec from the connection (I only pay for 300)

Anyway

Xfinity's speedtest is showing 360mb down, while sourceforge/speedofme show roughly 50mb down, and ookla is showing 150 down.

My streaming services are definitely running slower, which tells me xfinity is artificially inflating their own testing numbers to be in line with what I am paying for while other sites are giving me a true representation of my speeds.

Also, I have run these tests many times before, and they are normally all in line with each other (350ish down).

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here