gigglegiggle's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

Tuesday, December 15th, 2020 10:00 PM

Closed

New XB7

We GM just received our upgraded modem with the upgrade in our internet speed plan, everything seemed to connect just fine iPhones and things like that but a laptop I have HP15 doesn’t even see the network , I can connect to it via Ethernet cable but cannot seem to be able to otherwise, I am going to mess with it more tomorrow , I’ve recently done a system wipe on the laptop so I’m hoping once all 150 windows updates cooperate and install (which has been a nightmare) but the customer service rep said it’s to old to be used by this new amazing best ever modem (his words just saying lol) Am I out of luck here ? Am I going to be forced to give up the mobility of my laptop because of this? It still has the 2.5 and the 5ghz option I’m just hoping the slightly older stuff we have is still going to be useable, any thoughts or recommendations ? Are we going to need to downgrade the modem? When I was speaking to the guy about upgrading the modem in the first place he never mentioned that it wouldn’t work on some equipment I’m going to mess around with it some more in the morning but could use some guidance (the newest drivers for the network card in the laptop is 3-4 years old it seems RealTek RTL8188EE is the name of the network card if that helps

Update: even on a MUCH older laptop the network shows up, this laptop too also has been restored to factory settings..now I am really confused

Another Update: (sorry it’s really late so I’m kinda out of it rn) the computer in question was connected to the previous modem 24hrs earlier.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

3 years ago

I just read online, maybe try to go to the device manager, network, click on your WiFi card, then advanced, there should be a setting, wifi mode, if it's set auto try changing it to b or g and give it a try, it worked for some folks,

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

3 years ago

I believe that wifi card only supports the 2.4 g wifi band, i read the max download speed of that card is 74 Mps,  the Xb7 supports wifi 6,  to take advantage of the faster speeds i would upgrade the card to a wifi 6 capable card, they cost about $20-30, you can also just get a usb wifi adapter to get both 2.4 g and 5 g wifi bands, i got one for about $10 it works ok, the new Xb7 has the 2 wifi bands combined, you would have to split the 2 wifi bands to get your laptop to connect

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

In the router admin settings it also says it’s has two options 2.4 and 5.0

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

I’m the 7 year older laptop The network adaptor mentioned above is a Ralink RT5390 802.11b/g/n WiFi adapter and from what I see on that one it operates at 2.4ghz as well or am I wrong about that?

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

What baffles me about that is a laptop 7 years older is capable of recognizing it, that seems almost impossible to me

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

3 years ago

I looked at replacing the internal wifi card in a HP15, you have to disassemble alot of stuff to get to it, a usb adapter you just plug it in a available usb port and your usually good to go, the ones i got dont seem to have any identifier markings on them, sorry about that, if you look at them online i just read the reviews for a idea how they will work, update, mine says ac 1200 high speed be sure it supports the ac WiFi band

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

I don’t have a vast knowledge of this stuff , please don’t take anything I’m asking or saying as a slight to your advice just trying to educate myself a bit, I’ll post another update momentarily

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

3 years ago

The Ralink RT5390 looks like its only 2.4 g also, you have the Xb7, so you have the gigabit plan, why cripple your laptops with the slow speeds of the 2.4 g only wifi card, for $10 you can get a usb wifi adapter that will get get both wifi bands and support gigabit speeds instead of only 2.4 g that limits you to about under a 100Mps, the RTL8188EE has alot of issues from what i read online, there are adapter settings you can change in your device manager, you might be able to get it to connect, but that being said its still only a 2.4 g wifi card, of course this is just my opinion

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

Do you recommend any particular gigabit WiFi adapter ? And should I look into replacing it inside the computer instead? (Which I’ll be honest I don’t have the steadiest of hands, I’ll just leave it at that) I do really appreciate you taking the time to answer and follow up with me, means a lot.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

Ok wow that changing the setting worked, but what setting do I need to change to get my internet back to optimum like you mentioned in your earlier post?
And do I need to make sure any other devices support 5ghz? Especially when buying the adapters if I need them?

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

Trying that now, also what setting do I need to change back Thats dumbing down my internet connection that the Comcast guy changed ? And I just need to make sure whatever device I use or want to use in the future supports 5ghz correct?

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

3 years ago

Excellent it worked for you! Any new devices you get should support the WiFi 6 ax, that's the WiFi standard, the Xb7 supports WiFi 6, that being said usb WiFi adapters haven't progressed that far yet, you want one that will support the Ac band and that will support 1000Mps, I probably misspoke earlier, I don't know what all you do on your computer, maybe the 2.4 g band is adequate for what you do, I just assumed with the Xb7 gateway you wanted faster speed, my bad, when in fact some devices will only connect to 2.4 g, like my smart Tv and printer and they work perfectly fine.

Just out of curiosity what mode did you use? B,g or n to get it to work?

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

Oh I do want as fast of speeds as I can get I am in a multi streaming household as well as with some virtual school going on plus whatever else random is done on phones etc.

I just want to make sure I’m getting the most I can out of it and the PC I am building or well intending to build I’ve gotten side tracked so WiFi 6 and what about the “next best thing” so I don’t have to dumb it down...and what setting would I need to change to undo what the Comcast rep did? If you tell me what terminology I’m looking for I’ll search it up, I haven’t been as upto date on tech as I once was but i intend to change that.

And I changed it to G and it popped right up like it was there all along, thanks for being patient with me and guiding me through this with what must seem like ignorant questions you have been awesome.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

3 years ago

I don't know what the Comcast rep changed, where you changed it to G, if there is a N option I would try that and see if it still connects as it would be faster, anyway try a speed test and see your results

https://speedtest.xfinity.com

i Believe around 74 Mps would b normal for your WiFi card 

I was glad I could help

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here