GeneLa56's profile

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

Tuesday, October 8th, 2019 10:00 AM

Closed

Modem upgrade needed?

Xfinity sent me an email telling me I need to upgrade my modem so that I can gain full advantage of download speed.  I have the Performance Level internet from Xfinity, rated at 175Mbs.  My current modem is a Motorola SB6121, specs say it can handle maximum of 195Mbs for downloads.  When I do "speed tests", depending upon the server (I tested 7 servers), my download speeds range from 75 to 95.  

Given the above, would a new modem achieve faster download speed ?

Thank you for your comments. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

Yes, I'm streaming on a TV and running a cell phone network extender, have a tablet or two connected now/then.

Given what you see from my system hardware, I could replace my network card with a higher capacity card and then see if my existing modem gives me higher speeds?  Then if not, replace the modem?  

Really appreciate your guidance.  Thanks. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

The other thing to check would be your present wireless router. Is it as old as your modem?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

Yep you’ll never get over 100 regardless of modem. Keep in mind too that your present modem is not getting any younger. Do you have other devices that use internet/Wi-Fi?

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

Snapshot attached of what I think you were asking.

Thanks !

1 Attachment

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

Is the equipment you’re testing on have the ability to go over 100?Look at your network card

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

Just installed Google Wi-Fi pods.  4 of them.

the desktop I did the speed tests on is hardwired to the mother pod. 

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

5 years ago

Also FWIW, Comcast rates the 6121 for only up to 136 down;

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/arris-sb6121-365

Besides other issues, that thing is an old 4 channel dinosaur. Time to upgrade it !

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I've got one of the new modems coming, arriving today I believe.  Got the same email  - "need new model to take advantage of new speeds" or something along those lines.  I routinely get 200+  mbps d/l (hardwired, bridged to a RT-N66U) with my old voice modem, so not sure why it would be needed, except maybe for advance/new features of XFi/pods/etc?  I don't really use those, but as has been stated in the threads my Voice modem is pretty old so replacing it isn't the worst idea I suppose.  Plus the power plug falls out the back when a mouse farts so hoping the new modem has a more secure power cord :).

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

An update, new modem arrived, and the end of the story is yes it is faster, I moved from 200mbps to 350mbps on both Okala and Comcast speed tests...  however as usual I don't expect either of those values translate into real world use numbers. 

For the bad, typical of pretty much every Comcast change or upgrade, it never works out of the box.  After watching the setup via xFi app fail numerous times, I call comcast, wait 45 for a call back, then spend another half hour on the phone with them activating the new modem.  But, they get it activated and all is fine... or so I thought.

A bit later, I think oh yeah, the phone (since it's a voice modem), so check and of course I have no dial tone.  So, another call to comcast, another half hour waiting for a call back - then 20 minutes with the "first level" of support only to find out she can't do the re-provision, so she transfers me to another dept, wait 20min on hold, then another 30 minutes getting my phone no. transferred from the old modem to the new one.

And now, top it all off, I go to xfinity/returns to print out a return label for the old modem, which is no longer associtated with my account (assumingly thanks to a overly helpful csa) so I am unable to print a return label for it, and will have to drive across town to the comcast store to return it since the one near me closed down...grrr.

To be fair, the CS agents were very nice, almost annoying too nice really.  In the end everything is activated and working, but as is typical with Comcast it's was a painful process of several hours to get there. 😞

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

I've got a new 1GB network card enroute. After install will post how it impacts my down speed. Probably get a new modem too.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here