mws_1984's profile

Contributor

• 

50 Messages

Saturday, February 20th, 2021 5:00 PM

Closed

Modem shuts off when I shut off computer?

I have my own modem. Comcast compatible. Motorola MT7711. I have everything hooked up fine and am noticing that if I shut down my computer and turn it off that the modem shuts off as well. I never had this issue before when I had a seprate router and comcast supplied modem. What is going on here? I don't want to leave my computer on at all times if I don't need to. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

How are you determining the the gateway device is "shutting off" as well ? Does the "Power" LED on the device go out ?

Contributor

• 

50 Messages

3 years ago

Yes the entire display on front of modem goes out. All the different lit up icons on it go out as soon as the computer shuts down and powers off. And since the phone line is hooked into the modem it acts as though the phone service is out. I have an alarm system that is not active but if the phone line is "disconnected" the alarm panel beeps. Acting like a trouble. 

So I'm not sure how shutting the computer off is making the modem go off to. They arent connected power wise. Just into the same power strip which is not being turned off. 

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

Yeah that is in no way supposed to happen. Perhaps it is malfunctioning. If it's still under warranty maybe you should get it exchanged. Good luck !

Contributor

• 

26 Messages

3 years ago

Do you by any chance have it plugged into a "smart" power strip/UPS. Some of those have a "Master" socket which turns the others off when whatever is plugged into the "Master" is powered off.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here