Jmadd1285's profile

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, September 22nd, 2020 6:00 AM

Closed

Modem compatibility

Hi, I recently upgraded my services to extreme pro internet service as well purchased an Arris SVG2482AC because it said it could handle the increased internet speed. But the more and more I read the modem being DOCSIS 3.0 seems to not allow up to 600mbps. Ultimately I thought the areas of my house were the wi-fi signal was weak would have improved and it has not. I just did a speed test from my iPhone and the download mbps was 64.8 and upload was around 16.9. Will this be my norm or should I see improved speeds. I am now contemplating a WiFi extender for my hallway but I thought I was avoiding that by getting this particular modem.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Internet speeds and Wi-Fi coverage are two different things.
Use this link for picking proper equipment
https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices/#unauth

Contributor

• 

393 Messages

4 years ago

Is it just the wi-fi?  Ie: a wired speed test works fine?  That, and the link that CCAndrew provided, tells you whether your modem is compatible and is working well.  The wi-fi is something you create in your own router (in your case your router is built-in to the modem.)

If just wi-fi, all the usual rules of wi-fi apply including changing locations of both the router and the client devices, possibly using other bands and/or changing the channels within the bands.  Some things are just hard – like punching a signal through your central HVAC system or apartment complexes.  (Wi-fi is on unlicensed bands that everyone shares so if you have close neighbors, you just have to hope they're playing nice.)

There are also: separate routers (Separate routers typically outperform the ones built into modems), extenders, access points, mesh systems etc.  Xfinity has their pods but they work specifically with their gateways and you have to follow certain rules.  And depending on your home layout, more (any?) ethernet wiring might be an option.  (Lately with all the virtual meetings, I have really learned to appreciate wired internet even on laptops. It's just so much more robust.)

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you Andrew. I have already purchased the modem so at this time is there anything I can do to improve the wifi signal. Do you recommend an extender and which one?

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

Contributor

• 

393 Messages

4 years ago

Oops, I didn't notice that the one I linked to is a little dated.  Thanks, EG!

By the way, the average HD stream is about 5Mbps and the average 4K/UHD stream is maybe in the 15-20Mbps range, so having the gateway right next to the TV and having only the TV wired might not be your optimal topology.  Just a thought, your priorities may vary.

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you, it is just the wi-fi. The only device that is wired is our tv as that is the closest device to our modem. My son's Chrome book is in his bedroom and that does not have the option to be wired. 

Contributor

• 

393 Messages

4 years ago

Here's an example of a USB to ethernet adapter that says it supports Chrome OS:

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Ethernet-Adapter-Nintendo-Chromebook/dp/B00MYT481C

I use a similar adapter on my Windows laptops that lack ethernet ports and they work very well!

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you all for your help.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

@strega7 wrote:

Oops, I didn't notice that the one I linked to is a little dated.  Thanks, EG!

Quite welcome. I mentioned it because the OP stated that they have the 600 Mbps speed-tier.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

You. The Original Poster.

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Unfortunately that is where the cable wire is coming into the house. I know wired is the way to go but would it make sense to have no devices wired and just run them all on the wi-fi network?

Contributor

• 

393 Messages

4 years ago

No, I'm not saying you specifically want to unwire anything.  Just that you might want to think about ways to get the most important parts wired.  If your son is doing classes on-line, you might set up a workstation where the gateway is.  Or if there's an adjoining room, it's easy to run ethernet through a wall.  There are also flat ethernet wires designed to be run under existing carpeting.  Just throwing out some ideas without knowing anything about your home or priorities. 

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

what does OP stand for?

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I have the same problem. Even though the Xfinity compatibility site says that this modem is compatible, after I upgrade the service from Xifinity Blast (up to 400 mbps download speed) to Extreme Pro (800 mbps download), that actual speed dropped to 110 mbps on a wireless connection and 57 mbps on a wired connection. Yes, wired connection is even slower! Xfinity claims that it is Arris's problem, but Arris says that Xfinity is supposed to "re-provision" the modem to work for 800+ mbps speed. Xfinity tech I spoke to had no clue on how to do it. It has nothing to do with your wireless signal, so an extender will not help.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

@user_a6b35c

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue (copy your post and paste it there). Thanks. Re-closing this year old dead thread that was improperly re-opened by the new forum software / platform. A known issue that is being worked on.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here