G8way2k1's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, May 13th, 2020 8:00 AM

Closed

Low Hard Wire Speed

Hello:  Problem I'm having is low speed result on my hardwired devices with exception to my desktop computer Windows 7.   Using Netgear Nighthawk router (AC1900) (R7000) with a Netgear CM700 modem.  Having 600 mbps coming in works well on the desktop, but only get about 200-250 mbps on two other hardwired devices having 1000 mbps LAN, and using CAT 5 wires all around.  I removed the Ethernet cable from my computer that gets full speed and plugged it directly into a device only showing 200, power cycled router, modem and device for 3 minutes and reconnected.  Tested speed, no change.  I then bypassed the router by plugging the Ethernet wired from the modem directly to the device that showed only 200 mbps, power cycled both modem and device and tested.  Although I obtained a higher speed (290 mbps) it was no where near the speed supplied by Comcast.  Of course I ensured all connections were tight.  At this juncture I'm at a loss about this loss and would appreciate any direction given.  Thank you for this platform.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Since you’ve proven speeds with one device, have you tried Netgear support since it’s their equipment?

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Honestly, no I haven't.  I'll take a look at their forum as well, if they have one.   Thank you for that suggestion.  I have a sneaky feeling they will play ping pong though.  And the equipment is no longer under warrantee.  I'm happy to replace what needs replacing, I just want to eliminate trial and error.  Having said that, since I did achieve ISP speeds on my desktop, wouldn't that indicate that the equipment "is" working both Modem and Router?  Just a thought.  Thanks again.  

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

You’re right that would indicate that it’s “working” which means it has nothing to do with your ISP and more with how your private equipment is working with your private networking equipment.

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Well I see where this is going.  Please know that I wasn't trying to place blame for the issue discussed upon Comcast.  It's an issue that I'm trying to resolve.  I noticed this forum and thought I'd reach out.  Since  you obviously don't support anything you feel is not related to Comcast, I'll move on.  Enjoy your retirement as I, most assurely, will enjoy mine.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

I pointed you in the direction, that you requested in your original post, you should be investigating. Your modem is Netgear, router is Netgear, use Netgear support that’s what they are there for.
https://www.netgear.com/support/

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

@G8way2k1 Did you ever resolve this issue? I'm experiencing a very similar problem expect where we differ is that I am using the provided Comcast modem/router.

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

No I haven't.  I asked the same question in the Netgear support forum and found that a few others asked about the same problem, listed as "resolved".  It was suggested to perform a factory reset of the router.  Since we are a 100% streaming household, a few family members always seem to be using the Internet.  The good news is that although having 1/2 of the supplied speed from the ISP on the hardwired devices, there's enough speed to basically do whatever I want.  And between cell phones, Alexas and tv boxes, I would have to  hook about a dozen devices back up to the home network.  Family is away now on a reunion until the middle of the month, so now would be a good time to do it.  I have my doubts about this suggested resolve, but it's worth a go anyway.  Never know 'til ya try.  Good Luck!

Contributor

• 

393 Messages

4 years ago

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your issue/plan, but if you factory reset the router, and then set the SSID(s) and passphrase(s) to what they were prior to the reset, then all your devices should automatically reconnect.

My guess on the first post would have leaned toward the endpoint device(s), since even removing the router didn't make the "slow" device as fast as the fast device.

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Very Good Point !  Each end device I used had a 1,000 mbps Ethernet Lan, so I dismissed the device as the culprit.  Honestly speaking, and as stated in my first post, I'm at a total loss for a resolve.  I thought this issue was the norm until I spoke with a few others who actually get full speed to their hardwired devices.  That prompted my testing and inquiry in both the Comcast and Netgear forums.  Maybe I'm off base by saying, that when using these forums, if the real "techies" can't come up with a resolve, they quickly pass you off or refer you to a an answer that doesn't work to everyone coming in with a like-kind question.  But I'm always greatful for their information and whatever effort they make.  Unfortunately, I've hit a dead end so far. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here