Community Forum

Laptop Can't See SSID of New XB7 Gateway

Highlighted
New Poster

Laptop Can't See SSID of New XB7 Gateway

I just installed the new XB7 gateway. The install went smoothly with one exception. My Dell Laptop running Windows 10 cannot see the SSID of the new gateway. The laptop shows all of the neighbor's WiFi access points in the available WiFi list but the new XB7 gateway doesn't appear.

All of the other WiFi devices in my home (iPhones, iMac, another Windows 10 laptop, etc.) can see the new gateway and linked up smoothly after the install. Only this one Dell laptop is unable to see the WiFi SSID for this new gateway.

Has anyone resolved a similar issue?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Laptop Can't See SSID of New XB7 Gateway

This may not be the root cause of the problem. YMMV.

The two WiFi bands have recently been combined into one with the Comcast gateway devices. Some devices get confused and don't know how to see / talk to combined bands.

If you are not using any Xfi Pods, you can try separating the 2.4 and the 5.0 bands and give them two different broadcast names / SSID's;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi

Associate the Dell with the 2.4 or the 5.0 (whichever one works) band's SSID (broadcast name) and password.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

I don't have any Xfi pods.

I looked in the advanced settings section of the Xfi app but I don't see anywhere that the SSID names can be edited. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Never mind, I found the way to edit the SSID names in the Xfi app. 

I renamed the 5GHz band to a seperate name and that didn't solve the issue.

Highlighted
Expert

Are you sure that the Dell has a WiFi network adapter that supports the 5 GHz band ? If it doesn't, it won't even see it.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

I changed the SSID of the 5GHz band to a new name that I have't used before. I left the 2.4GHz name the same that I've successfully used in the past with my previous router. The Dell laptop still didn't see te 2.4GHz name after seperating the two bands under different names.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@Charboj wrote: ... My Dell Laptop running Windows 10 cannot see the SSID of the new gateway. ...

Does https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Wifi-not-showing-up/m-p/3351901#M328043 help?

Highlighted
New Poster

Thanks for the tip! That solved my problem. I only needed to update the WiFi mode of my router to 802.11 g,n as indicated in your linked post.