Joevitale's profile

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

Friday, April 10th, 2020 6:00 PM

Closed

Internet slows to 0.5Mbps, randomly and frequently throughout the day

I’ve been having an issue with my internet where it randomly becomes extremely slow multiple times throughout the day. Some days far worse than others to the point that it’s practically unusable. In these moments of slowness if I run a ping test to the first hop outside of my network on my trace route it takes upwards of 5000+ms round trip for sometimes 30 seconds and other times several minutes of this until it calms down and becomes somewhat fast again.

It started a couple weeks ago so the first thing I did was replace my customer owned cable modem with another brand new modem because my current modem was listed as ‘incompatable’.

This did not fix the problem.

I contacted tech support, they sent a technician to check the wiring (the modem is installed outside the house in a weatherproof enclosure 2 feet of cable away from the ground block because techs will not come inside).

The tech replaced all the cable ends and ran a speed test with his modem and it passed.

The problem continued (as it is intermittent and he didn’t catch it while he was here).

I then tried to get tech support to give me tier 2 support, on one of my many calls they did and they told me they saw 4,000ms latency while pinging the modem. The next time I called in I was told I couldn’t get tier 2 support unless I rented a modem as they would not diagnose trouble on a customer owned modem.

So I rented a modem (now my 3rd modem in a week). The problem persists.

I have tried connecting directly to the modem (without the router in between) with brand new computers, All hardwired, Even the connectivity test built into the xfinity modem fails, returning only 3 of 4 packets in the ping test when this problem manifests itself.

It seems it could be some sort of interference on the line that comes and goes throughout the day. Rebooting the modem seems to make it better sometimes and worse other times.

I’m at my wits end at this point and don’t know what to do, they sent two techs out the first replaced the connectors, the second just looked at what a nice job the first one did, but I believe it’s possibly an ingress problem because the signal levels (per the tech support folks) are all good - and since it’s intermittent I have a hard time getting someone on the phone while it’s still happening. I’ve spent 8 hours at least so far on hold and on the phone with tech support this week.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Did anyone get this issue fixed? Because my neighbor and I are going thru this now. For over 2 weeks now, multiple times a day we lose connection - Reps have had us change modem, asked us to try a different outlet, told us we have too many devices connected and finally telling us there is nothing that can be done because it must be outside of Xfinity's range.  Everything they've advised us can't be correct because we both lose connectivity. We had 2 reps out this morning, one for each of us because we've both been calling non-stop, and the reps replaced outside cables at pole and said "all fixed" - but since they left at around 9am it's gone out 4 times! (it's now only 2:42pm)

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I have the exact same issue.  Sometimes it is good for a few days, other times the whole day is plagued by this.  Calling xfinity was a complete waste of time - told to do the usual "unplug your modem" nonsense which of course resolved nothing.

Their customer support is the worst in the world.  I doubt they even read these posts.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

This happens to me all day everyday. Comcast is ruining my life (maybe dramatic - but it is a LARGE disrupter to my workflow - and I have to work late daily due to these issues). Have had several techs come. They have charged me $200 is tech fees because they state, "the issue is on my end" - but replaced router, hired electrician, everything on my end is FINE. Have spent the most useless and infuriating time on phone w/ tech (lack of) support. Is there anyone who has gotten a resolve? 

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

All. Please create new topics of your own here on this board detailing your issues. Thanks.  Year old dead now being closed.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here