hariri's profile

Contributor

• 

13 Messages

Monday, March 30th, 2020 2:00 PM

Closed

Intermittent connection

Hi to all,

I want to thank all in advance for taking time in reading this and trying their best in assisting me.

So I have been having this issue for a while. Intermittent connection. Sometimes it will work fine and then it will go out. 

I have tried everything. I stay away from renting comcast modems. I buy my own. I recently purchsed a new one and though that would solve the problem. But it did not. I have tv as well. There is only one wire from the wall and splits and one goes to the cable tv box and the other to the modem. I even took the splitter off and did a straight connection from the wall to the router. That did not work. Still had intermittent connection. Turned off all my wifi connections and did a straight wire from the router to my desktop and that didn't work. 

I went outside to my box to check for loose connections and I saw the wire coming from the tower being split. One going to the wall where it comes out and connects to my router. The other wire is most likely an old wire. So I took that splitter off and did a straight connection. Pole wire to the wire going inside my house. Still had intermittent connection. 

I work from home now due to the covoid19. It's very annoying to get these intermittent connection. I am out of options. Is there anything else I can try? Please help. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here; http://192.168.100.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

What is the exact make and model number of the modem ?

Contributor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

Here is the link for that...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-7BIiM3oe0vpzHcE718ViQI3uHUpufuC

make and model number of my router is Netgear C6300

Contributor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

It is Netgear c6300

Contributor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

also Should I change something in my router settings since I bought my own? Should I do a factory reset? Also, I did try switching out channels and I still have the intermitten connection problems

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

Can't see your pic. Since you are a new poster, it needs to be approved by a Forum Admin. That could take some time. In the interim, you could try hosting it at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites like Imgur or Photobucket and post the link to it here.

Make and model of modem ?

Contributor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

Untitled.jpg

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

The stats are fine. Are there any error log entries being shown ? If so, please post them as well.

Contributor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

Contributor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

Update...

Comecast came yesterday and said I had a pinched wire and a wire that was used is not for outdoor. The tech changed the wire and connected it. I did a factory reset on my router. It started working fine at night. I started work this morning at home and I am still having those intermittent connections. 

The tech told me to put my 2.4 ghz channel on auto. Is that a good channel to be on? She also said leave the channel for the 5 ghz on whatever default channel. So I don't know what the issue is now? The tech checked the wire coming from the pole and said it's a good connection. The tech did not go up on the pole to see if there anything maybe loose. The tech just saw those issues from my house wires. 

Now, I don't know what to do? I read something on maybe wireless keyboards and mouse can be a issue with interfering. Like I said, I am all out of options. 

Should I move my router? I can take a picture of it and show where it is located and how far it is from my workstation. I also have a hard wired connection going from the router all the way to the living room and that is connected to my DVR for security cameras. 

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

Even though the signal stats looked o/k at that snapshot in time, the error log entries confirm that something is going on. Perhaps there is noise ingress into the line(s) somewhere.

There are other signal stat figures that can't be read by the modem. They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. They can check the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) for any real time degradation and / or error reports, see your node / cable plant and modem health, and see whether or not everything is in the green zone. They can also see a history plot for the modem and poll for those upstream receive signal stats.

You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

Contributor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

Contributor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the time and effort you took in helping me. Do you know how long they will take to respond back to this forum?

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

No but sit tight. Remember there is a pandemic going on.

Contributor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

Yes. I definitely understand. I hope you take care and stay safe. Again, thank you.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

You as well. Quite welcome !

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here