TK00's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, January 23rd, 2020 10:00 PM

Closed

How to set up a Guest WiFi network on xFi Advanced Gateway

I have an xFi Advanced Gateway.  Specifically I have as my Wireless Gateway the TG3482G model (Arris).

I have my Wifi network name called FooBar.   When guests come over, I don't want to give them FooBar's network password.   Nor do most of my guests have a Xfinity account per https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/help-guests-get-online so the hotspot option is not practical.   

Instead, I want to create a guest network called FooBar_Guest.    Possible?

I saw in a post from 7+ months ago that someone from Comcast said "We don't offer private guest network options for residential customers but we do have something like that for our Comcast Business class customers. "   

Is that still the case, as it applies to the xFi Advanced Gateway?

Thanks, TK00

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

If you’re using a Comcast gateway there is no guest network, just access to the hotspot. If it’s not feasible, put the gateway in bridge mode and use your own router that will allow you to create that guest network.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

With  a Comcast supplied gateway device, the secondary network name / SSID (xfinitywifi) that is also broadcasted is intended to be used as a guest network.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

4 years ago

@CCAndrew wrote:
If you’re using a Comcast gateway there is no guest network, just access to the hotspot. If it’s not feasible, put the gateway in bridge mode and use your own router that will allow you to create that guest network.

This, but also a third party router set up as a Wireless Access Point with AP isolation enabled will also work. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here