trackrat2's profile

Contributor

• 

71 Messages

Saturday, March 28th, 2020 5:00 PM

Closed

High Ping and packet loss

Hoping for some help as I have been unable to get any help from Xfinity recently-chat/bot only wants to reset gateway which doesn't solve my issue.  Have been on hold several times but unable to get through to a tech.

currently on 175MPS plan.  Have a new Arris SB6183 with a Asus AX-88u router.  Wired connection to gaming PC-have tried both direct from modem and from router-still have high PL %-spikes of 30% wtih either connection.  no splitter instead the house wiring-have swapped the cat 5e cable-no difference.

have had the issue with high packet loss the last couple of months.  had a tech come out and he did find a signal loss-replaced a connection outside the home.  internet was better for a few days but now back to high ping, etc.  

Have ran ping plotter to gaming server, google, and direct to modem.  Modem plot is fine.  showing PL loss from 2nd hop to final hop for google, iracing.com servers and twitter.  Latency has large spreads.  Have tried different PC with similar results.

Here's the modem report:

operation of the cable modem.

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel   Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK  
Security Enabled BPI+
DOCSIS Network Access Enabled Allowed  

Downstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Frequency Power SNR Corrected Uncorrectables
1 Locked QAM256 9 513000000 Hz 0.5 dBmV 39.5 dB 0 0
2 Locked QAM256 1 459000000 Hz -1.1 dBmV 39.3 dB 0 0
3 Locked QAM256 2 465000000 Hz -0.8 dBmV 39.3 dB 0 0
4 Locked QAM256 3 471000000 Hz -0.4 dBmV 39.4 dB 0 0
5 Locked QAM256 4 477000000 Hz -0.3 dBmV 39.4 dB 0 0
6 Locked QAM256 5 483000000 Hz -0.3 dBmV 39.4 dB 0 0
7 Locked QAM256 6 489000000 Hz -0.1 dBmV 39.4 dB 0 0
8 Locked QAM256 7 495000000 Hz 0.0 dBmV 39.4 dB 0 0
9 Locked QAM256 8 507000000 Hz 0.4 dBmV 38.9 dB 0 0
10 Locked QAM256 10 519000000 Hz 0.6 dBmV 39.4 dB 0 0
11 Locked QAM256 11 525000000 Hz 0.5 dBmV 39.5 dB 0 0
12 Locked QAM256 12 531000000 Hz 0.6 dBmV 39.4 dB 0 0
13 Locked QAM256 13 537000000 Hz 0.7 dBmV 39.3 dB 0 0
14 Locked QAM256 14 543000000 Hz 0.9 dBmV 39.5 dB 0 0
15 Locked QAM256 15 549000000 Hz 0.9 dBmV 39.5 dB 0 0
16 Locked QAM256 16 555000000 Hz 0.9 dBmV 39.4 dB 0 0

Upstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status US Channel Type Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power
1 Locked ATDMA 4 5120 Ksym/sec 16200000 Hz 42.5 dBmV
2 Locked ATDMA 1 5120 Ksym/sec 35700000 Hz 42.5 dBmV
3 Locked ATDMA 2 5120 Ksym/sec 29200000 Hz 42.5 dBmV
4 Locked ATDMA 3 5120 Ksym/sec 22700000 Hz 42.5 dBmV

Current System Time: Sat Mar 28 16:12:49 2020

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

4 years ago

Provisioning is basically activating and registering your modem with Xfinity. You usually do it when you need to switch out your cable modem, like getting a new modem, by providing the new modem's product info and MAC ID so the Xfinity system has that info. If she "provisioned" your modem while on the call (which probably means she removed and added your modem on her end) I would think it's the same as resetting your modem. The short improvement that you have experienced may have been coincidental. As far as provisioning yourself, I know there's www.xfinity.com/activate link where you can register your own modem but I haven't tried that.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

@EG wrote:
FWIW, no. It's not. Resetting does not change / re-enter the backend account data in their database. That has to be entered manually by a rep.

Then the only fix is getting a call-back from a rep?
If so, then how can I understand why the DL speeds are so poor?
Finally, are the DL speeds I get related to the OP's issues with high ping and packet loss?

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Have the same issue since 10pm last night. about 13-18% packet loss and the support doesn't acknowledge the issue. 
I can ping my local server perfectly fine, internal plex/emby works fine, but they're not acknowledging this and are now sending a technician.

I don't think a local wire issue would cause a sudden drop of quality of that nature.

https://ibb.co/JCXMtPn

How does one get comcast to check their lines? 

Contributor

• 

71 Messages

4 years ago

Last week's area maintenance seems to have improved my signal at least a bit.  Mornings remain really good-with generally low latency but over the weekend, afternoon/early evening was also improved-even if not perfect.  I didn't notice too much video buffering and latency lag was improved a bit in iracing.  I did get errors on my modem early this morning though-timeout at 1am PT and some uncorrectables which I haven't seen during all of my issues.  strange but signal is working fine right now. attached this morning's ping plot and the modem status

2 Attachments

Contributor

• 

71 Messages

4 years ago

Usually Monday performance-although better than last week at least.  Website is still reporting an outage in our area so I keep hoping to get a stable signal at some point.

1 Attachment

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

FYI To All -

I had filed a complaint through PURA (Public Utilities Regulatory Authority) here in my state. I received a call the following day from a very nice lady at Comcast. She told me they were going to be getting node work/performance improvements in my area starting this week. Granted, I talked to her almost 2 weeks ago it was still nice to see a speedy response from someone and potentially a fix on the way.

Will see what happens but I would complain to some authority in your state.

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

4 years ago

@EG wrote:
FWIW, no. It's not. Resetting does not change / re-enter the backend account data in their database. That has to be entered manually by a rep.

I was talking the effect of them, not the process involved. As far as the customer is concerned provisioning an existing info with the same data assuming no hardware change has happened should have the same effect as resetting the modem. Provisioning an existing modem with the same modem will not magically fix the issues that we're having.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

@dougeefresh wrote:
I was talking the effect of them, not the process involved.

So am I.

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

4 years ago

@EG wrote:

You didn't mention any different effects of provisioning vs. resetting in your statement. You merely stated what gets done during provisioning (i.e. manually entering account data). So, what can re-provisioning a modem fix that resettng a modem can't? Other than fixing obvious errors of incorrectly provisioned modem?

Whether you re-provisioned the same modem with the same data or just do a reset, you will end up with the same problem if the problem doesn't stem from the user/user's environment hence the same effect. I did several modem reset (soft & hard) AND modem re-provisioning using different cable modems just to rule out defective hardware. Nothing helped.

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

4 years ago

@trackrat2 Any update from Washington State AG? I am thinking of doing the same as I don't foresee any resolutions happening soon. Also, when you filed did you attached any files? Thanks in advance.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

I'm not going to split hairs with you here bud.

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

4 years ago

@EG just stating the facts bud

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I am currently in Miami and honestly I've had this issue for months now. It does it for most games I try to play other then maybe one. Probably not as consistent but it will start stable then I just get spikes my entire session on. They tell me well the connection looks fine but clearly it's not if I'm experiencing this. Tried three different modems and even on different PC's it does it. Such a waste of money for gigabit service that isn't even stable. Still debating on switching as now I can actually switch...

Contributor

• 

71 Messages

4 years ago

I did hear back from the AG and they said my case qualified for consumer resolution.  I did provide multiple files showing the am signal versus the pm packet loss. 

Since then, I have been playing phone tag with the Executive escalation customer service rep.  No resolution yet.  A tech came by house on 5/14 and checked the line-apparently the signal was within "spec" according to the email I received.   Over the weekend, my internet experience was slightly better. 

Monday was terrible but there  were multiple outage notices earlier in the week and service vans have been in the area.  Outage notice was pulled but I am still seeing the same performance.  Not very good tonight-was pretty decent this morning again.... 

I think having more people file data driven complaints may help.  I hope to connect with the rep tomorrow.

1 Attachment

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

4 years ago

@trackrat2 Would you post the link that you used to get the process started? I'd like to register a similar complaint. Is it https://fortress.wa.gov/atg/formhandler/ago/ComplaintForm.aspx? Judging from your maintenance and outage windows for the past 3 weeks, we're likely in the exact same area/neighborhood because it's been the same for me.

I have a technician coming out (again) on Friday. Like last time, I'm sure they will just claim my signal is strong and within spec, even though I get multiple T3 timeout errors every day and traceroutes that have periods of 20-30% packet loss on the upstream signal.

1 Attachment

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here