Community Forum

Gigabit service running at 600Mbps... Multiple calls (details)

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Gigabit service running at 600Mbps... Multiple calls (details)

Stayed at 950 overnight while left in router mode.

Highlighted
New Poster

I am also having this issue. I was getting 940-960 consistently until about a month ago and now I see dips as low as 200's and the highs in the 550-600 range. I've had 4 techs out. They have replaced the modem twice and have rerun my drop and even pulled fresh coax in my wall from the demarq. 

On the last call they tried moving the cable line on the drop slightly farther from the power line to my house and replaced the modem. This allowed me to see speeds in the low 900's for about a day.

Well here we are again going to be getting another tech out for this issue. They have all but refused to escalate this to the line techs. Not sure how much more they can try to push this on being anything but something on their main lines.

I guess the big problem is... not many people use gigabit service in my area and of those I am sure even less would notice the issue. However, I am in cybersecurity so being able to pull large files quickly is vital and it is very noticeable to see a 40-50MBps pull when I expect to see 100MBps +.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Ok last update on this.

It is 100% a bug with the modem and bridge mode.

If I enable bridge mode within a day the speeds cap on the 500-600 range. If I turn off bridge mode and do a hard reset on the modem speeds return to 900+.

I didnt want to deal with a double nat, but I have just disabled all wifi and firewall features for the time being.

Also comcast will not allow you to pay for the gateway device and keep your unlimited data unless the data is flowing through their device (dumb) since it should be tied to the fee and not need to pass through their dumb buggy device.
Highlighted
Contributor

@Tgrable84 wrote:
Ok last update on this.

It is 100% a bug with the modem and bridge mode.

If I enable bridge mode within a day the speeds cap on the 500-600 range. If I turn off bridge mode and do a hard reset on the modem speeds return to 900+.

I didnt want to deal with a double nat, but I have just disabled all wifi and firewall features for the time being.

Also comcast will not allow you to pay for the gateway device and keep your unlimited data unless the data is flowing through their device (dumb) since it should be tied to the fee and not need to pass through their dumb buggy device.

Yeah - you're noticing the same thing I have.  I have some experience working with network equipement so this troubleshooting is nothing new.

I had someone from Comcast come out on Monday from the QC group.  I told them all that had transpired and he stated he had to check out the system... so just checked the ground was good outside and then left.  I imagine he had some 'minimal work' that he had to do to call it complete.  I get it.  He then said his sup would call.  His sup called on Tuesday and said he'd be out on Wednesday to find out the issue... he asked me if I was testing with a capable computer.  He didn't read anything on the past of this.  Frustrating... he never called or showed up.

I switched to bridge mode last night and I'm at 400Mbps now.  This matched the prior experience when the tech saw that I had a 400Mbps file pushed to my modem while I've been configured in their systems for 1000Mbps service for some time.  It was escalated within xfinity.  I changed back to router mode and it's still at 400Mbps.  I changed back to router mode so they can access the device from their end.

When the tech came out and saw I was running that 400Mbps file, he said this is all on Comcast's end... no further inspection of the physical network is needed.  That dude know's what's up.  Hopefully they find out what's breaking this on their end.  It really wreaks of an autoprovisioning issue on their end.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

How do we get them to fix this firmware bug?
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I want in on this discussion. So for months using my Xfinity gateway in bridge mode gave me full speed (940). Now I max out at 650. If I restore and put it in router mode, my speed is 940. Put it back in bridge mode, it reverts to 650 in a day or so. I haven't tested leaving the gateway in router mode because I have my own router.

I wonder if buying my own 3.1 modem will fix this.

A tech came out and checked the lines, for all the good that did.

Seeing as multiple people here have the same experience of bridge mode dropping to 600, this is an error on xfinitys end.

My upload does stay at the advertised speed. Hitting 40 Mbps.

Why oh why did I move out of my apartment with Google fiber.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

This is ridiculous that we are all PAYING for gig service and not getting it.....for months!
Highlighted
Contributor

So an update to my saga.

My old modem was capped at 600Mbps and I could only get 1000Gbps in router mode.  In router mode Xfinity kept blocking my clients even though I used port forwarding and even DMZ mode.  I could only allow them access for 30 days and what was more frustrating I wasn't getting notified of the block and it took me a few days to figure out what was going on.   My modem wouldn't connect anymore in bridge mode for some reason either.  I conctacted my line tech on Thursday to let him know the issue.  He got me a new modem yesterday(Friday).  It worked, speeds were all over though.  Upload was god awful.  On occassion though I was getting high 800 on the speedtest.  He checked the node across the street and he found out it was at 93% for upload.  He said that is why the speed is all over.  He said he had a meeting today, Saturday, and he'd bring it up.  I concacted him about it today and he said Comcast has no plans to do anything about it.  It wasn't designed to have everyone online like this.  I told him this is Saturday though and all the M-F people are usually home anyways.  He said they're not going to do anything.   So I contacted Comcast today to try to get a discount on my bill.  I can transferred to a technician.  The technician said he could fix the speed issue with a new boot file on my modem.  Well..........now I'm capped at 600Mbps again which is what started me on this journey about a month ago!   He said he's going to escalate it and it should be fixed in the next 24-48 hours and gave mea ticket number.

I really have my doubts.   Keep calling in and complaining about this issue people or they're going to just keep ignorning us.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I'm relieved to see others are having this exact issue. I feel for you. I imagine that comcast won't prioritize this with what's been going on. I would just sign up for a lower speed tier but then I'd lose the upload. What small, meager amount of upload they allot us. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Stilll not the gig speed i'm paying for while in bridge mode

ran three tests this morning from https://speedtest.xfinity.com/

in bridge mode

1. 633.8 Mbps

2. 651.3 Mbps

3. 641.8 Mbps

Stilll not the gig speed i'm paying for while in bridge mode

Highlighted
Contributor

Xfinity is a joke. I’m on my 3rd-4th gateway. This time decided to put in bridge mode and bought a nighthawk. WiFi is now worse. Tell me how that makes sense.
Highlighted
Contributor

Wow you seem to know alot^ Could the broken bridge mode be why my nighthawk is acting awful?
Highlighted
Contributor

that exactly why you your not getting the speeds to your nighthawk.....

and some lovely moderator deleted my post it looks like cause I cant find my original post anymore.  See what happens when you take the time to inform the public..

Highlighted
Contributor

Btw 950Mbps at the time of posting last night,   this morning 318..   speedtest result ID 9208750297

Highlighted
Contributor

Took it off bridge mode and my nighthawk is still performing like doo doo . Decided to turn the WiFi on the gateway and run both. The gateway is now running better than my nighthawk... how?
Highlighted
Contributor

you need to hold the reset button down on the Modem for 40 seconds to factory reset the modem.   Once you goto the page 10.0.0.1 it wll act like it needs to be activated.  Enter your Wifi SSID name you want and telephone number for the text message to go out..  once that completed you'll be in router mode..  you can disbable the local wifi 2.4 and 5Ghz spectrum wifi in the gui for cleaner airwaves...  otherwise you'd have a high chance of overlapping channels impeding your nighthawk chosen bands.   You should now be at ~950Mbps over hardwired and whatever the full potential of your nighthawk router bandwidth may be given the distance you are from said device.   however, by doing this.  You are now behind a double NAT.   which means UPnP will not work correctly,  Preventing you from accessing certian applications, and gaming Xbox live, Playstation network.  etc...   everything that goes out is now taking two hops,  raising your ping.  your also restricted by whatever router features are enabled via the xfi app.  This is the exact opposite of where you should be when trying to use bridge mode.  Even DMZ still gives Private address.  and port 2 on xfinity home.  172.16.12.1 was my provided private address.  Still double NAT...

Spoke with an executive today and mentioned these threads.  They are looking at them..  What they are willing to do about it is to still be seen.  Covoid19 has them tied since they want to send technicians out to my house..  However as we had all experienced,  that did not solve the issue.

Highlighted
Contributor

Secondly,  wanted to mention that the wireless card in the XB6 isn't all that bad.  Not premium but not bad.  

If you want to know exactly how fast your nighthawk could be is run an iperf test between two machines..  one hard wired and the other wireless..  that would give you a Bandwidth perspective...

The same could be done on the xb6...   However I assure you the nighthawk would probably out perform the xb6 given you understand how wifi MIMO works.

Highlighted
Contributor

Welp I tried posting the Mimo tables and channel selection width..  seems like photo was too big...  

its available here 802.11ac+Data+Rates+%26+SNR+Requirements.jpg

Highlighted
Contributor

That’s all stuff I tried nothing works
Highlighted
Contributor

I know nighthawk should outperform xb6 so why isn’t it?
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'm using and ORBI with satellite  Latest test result (21:28 Mar 30, 2020) DOWNLOAD 852.43Mbps UPLOAD 41.63Mbps. Better than it was but still not as fast as the comcast router.... (WiFi MUCH better that the comcast router with three xfi pods....(there for sale) 

Highlighted
New Poster

I have the same issue, decided to use the chat feature of Xfinity and so my adventure started from my text capture time at 3:59pm to 6:03pm with no resolve. See response below.

CHAT STARTED AT Mar 29, 2020 3:59:26 PM and ended at 6:03

6:03:20 PM Miezhel : I appreciate your cooperation in troubleshooting with me. Here in Comcast, we make sure that we always provide what's best for our customers. I just want to make sure everything is covered while you still have me, I hope I haven been a great help, have I addressed your concerns?

As like all of you a tech visited checked everything swapped modem, Bing! 950! Bridge the modem down to 600 - 400. Unbridged --> restart back up to 950. Bridge the modem again, down to 500 where is stays now bridged or unbridged. Thus I started to research through some threads.

Going to try a couple of the recommendations. I'll let you know what my results are. I agree with you all its bad firmware on XB6.

The resolve from the tech.... you'll love this....again this is towards the end of our chat session.

5:49:28 PM Miezhel : Fireman_5000, let me see if I can help you enroll to our home wifi assessment.
5:49:39 PM Miezhel : This will be a better option for you.
5:49:43 PM Miezhel : One moment please.
5:50:22 PM Fireman_5000 : what is that going to do? Wifi is fine, its the download speeds
5:50:38 PM Miezhel : The Home WiFi Assessment algorithm runs for at least 14 days to monitor performance over time. The WiFi Assessment produces one of two possible results: xFi Pods Recommended and Coverage Looks Great - No Pods Recommended.
5:51:16 PM Miezhel : Xfinity xFi Advantage customers will receive an email the next day after activating their xFi Advanced Gateway, highlighting the benefits of xFi Advantage and notifying them that their Home WiFi Assessment is currently taking place. (Note: WiFi Assessments for xFi Advantage customers with the xFi Gateway (3rd Generation) will start around March 2020).
5:51:44 PM Miezhel : Note: Customers should connect all their WiFi-enabled devices as soon as possible following activation. Following this initial assessment period, xFi Advantage customers receive additional emails with more information about their xFi network performance. Some customers may receive recommendations to further optimize their network.
5:52:04 PM Miezhel : After the WiFi Assessment is complete, the results are sent to the primary email address on file. Depending on the results, a customer will receive one of the following emails:
Email 1 - Coverage Looks Great
Our results show reliable WiFi coverage throughout the home.
Email 2 - xFi Pods Recommendation
Our results show coverage could be improved by xFi Pods. This email will include a link to order xFi Pods at no additional cost. Once the customer completes the form, the xFi Pods will arrive in five to seven business days.
5:53:42 PM Fireman_5000 : If I'm connected directly and I narrowed it down to the modem with Ethernet direct connect to a laptop. It's not the wireless I have a problem with. Upload speed is consistent, download is not. Again nothing is attached to the system except my phone and this less than a year old laptop.
5:54:18 PM Miezhel : Oh, alright.
5:54:25 PM Miezhel : Thanks for explaining it to me.
Highlighted
Contributor

Jesus Christ sounds like my Xfinity chat experiences
Highlighted
Contributor

Open your chat with them via Twitter DM.  https://twitter.com/comcastcares?lang=en  They can scroll up easily to see the previous dialogue explaining the situation and it keeps it all in one place.

Highlighted
Contributor

That would be great, but they keep asking the same cookie cutter questions.  I've had several ask me the same questions even after telling them at the beginning of the conversation I'm wired.

Comcast: Are you wireless or wired?

Me: I'm wired.

Comcast: Are you using a the hot spot?

Me: No, I'm wired.

Comcast: Have you tried deleting your cookies and internet cache?

Me: Are you kidding me?  Is this dial-up and we're on AOL now?

Highlighted
Contributor

LMAO YES your saved cookies is causing an internet overload to the point it doesn’t work! That’s what it is.
Highlighted
Contributor

Ask them to 'read the dialogue above' and then start there.  I had to stop a number of the times I called in to tell them that they're going over what has been gone over before.

Highlighted
Contributor

Had an update with the executive,

Next months bill is being paid for.  They wanted to send another Tech... I declined technician and directed them to look at their forums..   Its a widespread issue.  A tech to my house will not fix the problem.  Explained the Modem Chipset and the only two modems they offer both have issues.  He Mentioned the xb7 modem and that we both are aware of it, but he could not get it because its still in test phase.  He recommended swapping the modem for another..  I've once again stated that's not going to work either and directed again to forums.  I told him there needs to be another option.  If your an extreme pro 400 subscriber then you won't notice the issue.  He agreed and said that's probably true as gigabit tier customer count is much lower and It isn't being reported.   He also said he Spoke with their engineers, and they told him they don't see anything wrong.. He assured me just after stating that, "that doesn't mean I'm saying the issue doesn't exist" What he would like to do is cover the cost of gigabit tier for the following month.  And that due to the covoid issue they can't send anyone into the homes..  I agreed, I totally understand the coronavirus problem and agreed to continue to hold while they work on finding out the issue.  He said He'd like to send out the xb7 if he could but not even he can get ahold of it.  For now we are in limbo...  I suggested they should talk with the modems firmware provider to find a resolution.  By doing this, they will take a closer look at even their own provisioning.   Until then. I have his contact info and will be dealing with him directly.

He called again shortly after our conversation 10 minutes after hangup.   "Ive received your FCC complaint".  Me. "yep, I filled that on Sunday the same day I emailed executive offices".  He says ok,  we'll continue with our same process and conversation to find a resolution,  until then.

So this is where we stand.   Comcast Exectutive office knows there's a problem.  We'll see how long it takes for resolve.

Todays Speedtest Result   661 down 44 up

2ae6c0d7-5172-443f-8f02-b6a3c3b35db0.png

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thank you for following up on this, and pushing it. I'm also experiencing it, although I'm lucky if I'm above 350/40 consistently in bridge mode (850-1.2gb/45 not in bridge mode). I haven't felt like insisting and dealing with tech support that it's not on my end, so again, thank you.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

"Thank you for following up on this, and pushing it. I'm also experiencing it, although I'm lucky if I'm above 350/40 consistently in bridge mode (850-1.2gb/45 not in bridge mode). I haven't felt like insisting and dealing with tech support that it's not on my end, so again, thank you."

I have also been working on this from my end. I had a few engineers who were trying to test something on my modem to no avail. My recommendation was they reach out to the vendor that supplies these modems and see if they can address it on that end. It appears to be an issue with the firmware/software on the modem itself.

Now I quoted the above, because it is going to be hard to get the attention we need when people post something that is OBVIOUSLY false. The 1.2Gbps speed is not possible. This modem has gigabit ports so you will never see over 980Mbps due to overhead. In bridge mode you can't run dual ethernet ports so no increase that way... in NAT mode the modem itself does not support that capability at this time. That is also assuming you are running it to a machine with dual nics since there is no 2.5 or great ports on this device.

As to comcast on this. They have really missed the mark on this. Many technicians with no permanent fix. Even after I have been able to reproduce the issue and give them the steps to recreated in a lab environment they have still be pretty much useless on looking into it and having it fixed. Chances are the next big modem update that gets pushed will correct the issue. Maybe I should just reach out to the manufacturer directly to see what they can do on that end since this problem is more than likely an issue with the newest update.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I wanted to post that I have been having the same issue. I get 950+ without bridge mode, and with bridge mode around 650.

This does need to be fixed because nowhere in my agreement does it state I need to be in non-bridge mode to achieve 950+ speeds.

@ComcastJK Can this please oh please be prioritized? 

Highlighted
Contributor

Yes I ran into that issue the way to solve it if you don’t have ingress in your house or anywhere in your area you can check your modem to see if you have any issues with downstream Uncorrectables so if your getting 600 mbps and there’s a lot a lot of correcteables In the 3.1 channel meaning you have to many people on your node meaning it’s max compacity
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Not sure how to read this info. Anything standing out? Sorry if it is tiny, I had to do some HTML source edits to make it super wide because the GUI formatting is lame.

Looks normal?Looks normal?

Looks like this website can not handle the huge picture?? Here is the imgur link https://i.imgur.com/DzJrlDK.png 

Highlighted
Contributor

I kinda can read it I see some ingress but can you do it without stretching it because it’s too blurry
Highlighted
Expert

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Can-someone-check-my-modem-channel-status-and-codewo...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

Update,

It is now 20 days later.

Not a peep from comcast..   FCC still open.   Issue untouched.

22c0d071-06b7-4c11-b9bd-d7c694d66383

Highlighted
New Poster

Honestly, I wouldn't hold your breath. I am not even confident this is something they can fix. I am mostly sure this is something the vendor of the device will need to fix/patch so we are going to be waiting until they release a new software/firmware update for it.

That aside you can get NAT'd mode to work just fine, but depending on your use case you might need to do some manual routing to avoid double NAT issues. If you are willing to let the comcast device handle all of your dhcp, dns, port, etc settings then adding a simple switch to your setup to get more ethernet ports might be the simpliest fix. For some of us that just isn't a possibility.

So it isn't the end of the world, but it is a serious pain in the butt. The biggest kick in the teeth was the fact that if I add another docsis 3.1 modem to my account I lose the unlimited data even if I am STILL PAYING for the modem rental fee. So to use my own modem would actually increase my bill by 40 bucks a month even after removing the modem rental fee. So that is a pretty big flaw in the system.

<Edited>. That is why I cannot wait for fiber to hit my home locally. I can say that once low orbit wifi hits companies like Comcast will start dying out. <Edited>

Highlighted
Contributor

Router Mode isn't working either for me now.

Had a long wasteful conversation with online chat and the tech 0 lied to me.   I got a call back on via text message service and got a nice guy who is sending me a newer model modem than my current device.  He said I should have it in a few days.

Meanwhile........my node across the street is still at capacity causing drop outs now.  I lose internet almost daily and have lag spikes throughout the day.

Highlighted
Contributor

Connecting from Xfinity Assistant. I have a question about internet.

A.K. 9:26:01 AM

You are now chatting with Sunidhi

Hello, thank you for contacting Xfinity Support. My name is Sunidhi .Who do I have the pleasure of assisting today?

Sunidhi 9:26:56 AM

Hello, this is A.K..

A.K. 9:27:12 AM

Could you please elaborate your concern so that I can assist you better?

Sunidhi 9:28:22 AM

I'm still having issues with my internet speed and it's been happening for the last 3 months. They troubleshooting system already did a reboot a few minutes ago and my speed actually went down even further. I am directly connected to the gateway, i do not use wifi.

A.K. 9:28:54 AM

I've been paying for the 1gb service starting back in January and I have not been getting that speed but a few weeks out of the last 4 months.

A.K. 9:31:34 AM

I apologize for the inconvenience faced by you and I will do my best to help you on this.

Sunidhi 9:31:53 AM

Please help me authenticate your account by providing your complete name and complete service address with zip code.

Sunidhi 9:33:33 AM

A.K.32464 *************************

A.K. 9:33:57 AM

Don't worry. Your sensitive data has been masked.

Great, thank you for sharing the  information, please give me a moment to review the account details

Sunidhi 9:35:25 AM

Thank you for waiting.

Sunidhi 9:38:27 AM

Just to confirm, may I know how much speed you are getting now?

Sunidhi 9:38:47 AM

523.9Mb

A.K. 9:38:59 AM

It was just over 600Mb before the modem rebooted.

A.K. 9:39:32 AM

When it works I get over 850MB to just over 900Mb.

A.K. 9:39:55 AM

Thank you let me refresh the account for you and I will do my best to help you.

Sunidhi 9:40:05 AM

Thank you for sharing information please stay connected.

Sunidhi 9:40:33 AM

What do you mean by refresh my account?

A.K. 9:40:43 AM

I mean let me refresh the signals.

Sunidhi 9:41:52 AM

The browser is unable to connect to the chat server. Some messages may not have been delivered and you will not be able to send or receive new messages.

Is it rebooting?

Sunidhi 9:45:05 AM

You are now reconnected with Sunidhi

I rebooted.

A.K. 9:45:30 AM

It* rebooted

A.K. 9:45:41 AM

Due you see any change in speed?

Sunidhi 9:47:21 AM

Let me test it. Hold on.

A.K. 9:47:29 AM

OKay

Sunidhi 9:47:37 AM

506.7Mb

A.K. 9:48:03 AM

OKay please stand by let me check again.

Sunidhi 9:48:48 AM

Just did another test 618.1Mb... it's way slower than it should be. My upload speed is also about half of what it is normally. I'm at 19.1Mb when it's normally 32Mb to 41Mb.

A.K. 9:50:01 AM

Okay, can you confirm are you using wireless router?

Sunidhi 9:53:25 AM

I do not use wireless to connect my computers. I told you that earlier.

A.K. 9:53:47 AM

It's not my equipment. I've had 3 different techs and a line engineer to my home a few times a month ago.

A.K. 9:54:31 AM

Okay, let me check

Sunidhi 9:55:52 AM

If I'm only getting roughly half my speed I should only be charged have my monthly rate right?

A.K. 9:57:31 AM

I am sorry

Sunidhi 9:58:21 AM

I am sorry for the issue you are facing right now. xfinity will credit you 22$ in your next month bill.

Sunidhi 9:59:19 AM

What about last month?

A.K. 9:59:48 AM

Could you confirm are you using personal router?

Sunidhi 9:59:49 AM

I'm connected to your gateway.

A.K. 10:00:25 AM

You will be getting $22  for the bill circle march to April.

Sunidhi 10:00:49 AM

I've been dealing with this for 3 months. $22 is all I'm getting for 1 months bill? You do realized I've spent many hours on chat and on the phone trying to get xfinity to fix this problem right?

A.K. 10:01:58 AM

I am really sorry for the issue you are facing and if I would be the customer I can feel the same.

Sunidhi 10:03:39 AM

Okay, but what are you going to do about it? $22 is a start, but that doesn't cover my time on this issue nor does it cover half the bill since I'm only getting half the speed. Giving me a credit doesn't fix my speed issue, what are you going to do about that?

A.K. 10:04:58 AM

Also, I can see that $22 has been credited in your current bill and your next bill would be after the adjustments will be $93.00

Sunidhi 10:05:58 AM

That credit is unrelated! That is because xfinity is giving everyone unlimited data and i'm already paying for it so they're giving people that are paying for it a discount.

A.K. 10:07:11 AM

I can understand and I am doing my best to help you on this and I have refreshing the signals so that you will get the actual speed, however if you have billing concern, we have a dedicated team, who can help you on this.

Sunidhi 10:07:47 AM

We need to talk to 2 people. Billing because as I explained that other $22 credit is for something else. Also an engineer to fix this problem.

A.K. 10:09:04 AM

Hello?

A.K. 10:12:54 AM

I can understand what you are trying to say, however as I can see from my end the Internet speed is good and checking the modem.

Sunidhi 10:13:51 AM

I am here.

Sunidhi 10:13:59 AM

How can you verify my speed is good when I'm telling you otherwise? What's your proof?

A.K. 10:14:30 AM

If you're saying my speed is good on your end why would you offer me a $22 credit on my bill? You see how it very much sounds like you're lying to me right?

A.K. 10:15:30 AM

My friend is on xfinity 1 city over and he is having the exact same problem. It's not me, it's xfinity. It's also on the xfinity forums that people are complaining about this very same issue. It's sounds like maybe we should all pull together and file a class action lawsuit.

A.K. 10:16:57 AM

How about you connect me to someone higher up than you?

A.K. 10:17:43 AM

I am sorry for the inconvenience, this is the only resolution available from my end and if you want I can raise the ticket from my end so that you can get the actual speed

Sunidhi 10:18:15 AM

If you want I can connect the chat to my supervisor, shall I do that?

Sunidhi 10:18:35 AM

So you just admitted I'm not getting the speed. Yes, connect me to a supervisor please.

A.K. 10:19:10 AM

Sure, please allow me minute, please stay connected.

Sunidhi 10:19:33 AM

I would request you to stay connected as it will take 3-4 minutes to transferring the chat.

Sunidhi 10:23:42 AM

Not a problem.

A.K. 10:24:08 AM

Thank you.

Sunidhi 10:24:28 AM

Hello, My name is Rishab  and I am the available supervisor

Please allow me couple of minutes to read your previous conversation.

Rishab 10:41:51 AM

Thank you.

A.K. 10:42:03 AM

As I can understand you are getting slow speed issue

Rishab 10:43:51 AM

Yes

A.K. 10:44:10 AM

So are a lot of people. My buddy is on the line with me to find out what is going to be done. He had a tech visit scheduled for a month and now they cancelled it on him. Understandably as we have a quarantine going on, but this problem started before the quarantines started.

A.K. 10:45:18 AM

I have checked your account and it shows that all possible trouble shooting has been done  on chat and for further trouble shooting you need to call  on our advance technical team 1800-934-6489

Rishab 10:46:17 AM

Why do I have to call and start all over again with someone new? Why can't a ticket be made and escalated? There was a ticket open last time I was on this chat a few weeks ago and nothing ever happened.

A.K. 10:47:22 AM

I am sorry but advance technical team is not available on chat, however I can create  a ticket  and you will get with in 48 to 72 hours

Rishab 10:47:59 AM

Okay, please provide me the ticket number once you have it.

A.K. 10:48:28 AM

Sure

Rishab 10:51:54 AM

CR Ticket #********

Rishab 10:56:46 AM

Got it.

A.K. 10:57:00 AM

In case you do not get any call, please call on 1800-934-6489

Rishab 10:57:07 AM

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

<Edited>. i pay good money for this service as a lot of folks do. how in the world could this be going on for so long without a resolution? i have no faith in these chat people. <Edited>ok, maybe taking this a bit to far. oh come on, you laughed

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I am having the exact same problem as everyone else. This service was great for several months, until about January. Then, something changed and my speeds went fromt the 980+ to over 1GB DL and 20-23 UL (I never did see the 30 upload I was supposed to be getting) and dropped all the way down to flucuating between the 400s and 600s dl. I let it go all this time because there were outages in the area, and it's a pretty regular thing in this area that in the beginning months of the year, they're supposedly doing work in the area, so we've come to expect periodic outages.

I finally decided it was time to get back up to the speed I am paying for and called Comcast about a week or so ago. Long story short and several calls later, I finally got the replacement modem today. And like everyone else, str8 router is up in the mid 800s, bridge mode drops to only about the 600s again. It's just crazy. Spk to Larry with their tech support and he tried to convince me that it's the USB C ports on my less than half a year old MBP, and when that wasn't working, he then asked me how my modem's power cable was plugged in; was it plug to a power strip or directly to the wall. When I told him it's in a UPS he suggested that could be the problem because of unsteady spikes and surges could cause the speeds to be all over the place. I could tell he didn't like me very much because in the beginning of the call, he had me run a speed test using the wifi with bridge mode off. When it got only around in the 500s, he said that was great because that means it's right where it's supposed to be at. I laughed. I couldn't help it. It was spontaneous because of what he said. The thought that wifi should be considered good at only half the speed I'm paying for is ludicrous to me! I'm using a Time Capsule and I never have problems with slow wifi speeds. Before all of this happened, when I was up to the speeds I'm paying for, my wife was constantly somewhere in the ballpark - 800s to 900s. That's reasonable. 500 is good???? Who shouldn't laugh at that notion.

Anyway, I'm out of options for how to proceed. I can only wait and hope someone finally succeeds in getting this resolved. My plan ends in May, so I need to find another plan soon also. Not sure how that's going to work out.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I know this may be dumb for some of you, but some devices simply do not have the capacity to handle these faster internet speeds. Have you verified that your devices meet the minimum system requirements for Gigabit service? Especially user @afkouns  it looks like your max speed of "just over 900" is the max you may be able to get hardwired. 

Capture.PNG

There is more information about the minimum system requirements for all of Comcast's Internet speeds here https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/requirements-to-run-xfinity-internet-service

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

well if i was running it for a good portion of the year, then I'm guessing my equipment isn't the problem, but Comcast's is.

Highlighted
Contributor

@Here4Help 

Considering it worked fine when I first got the 1GB service is January and the fact that I can hit 985Mbps transferring files back and forth on my NAS........I'd say yes my equipment is up to task.

I know what the issue is.  It's the Node across the street.  It's at 90% capacity for upload.  The line tech told me as much and said this is what is causing the slow downs and disconnects.  They need to add another Node to split the traffic, but in a meeting the xfinity tech went to he said they won't do it.

So I'm paying for a service I'm not getting.  Furthermore, the problem has been identified and they refuse to fix it because of quaratine.  The Node is outside!  The quarantine is a poor excuse.

Look at down detector.   Xfinity nor ATT can handle all the data under quarantine, heck they have slow downs before quarantine.   They're selling speeds that the infrastructure cannot handle.

Highlighted
Contributor

BTW @Here4Help 

I have a 9900K, 32GB of Ram, NVME M.2, a 2080ti and I'm wired direct with Cat6.  Doesn't get more past the minimum requirements than that.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@Hereforhelp Is your forum account a parody account? That's the only explanation for your post. 

On another note, I bought my own modem. Am using my own router. I now get 940 down consistently. Was getting 650 down in bridge mode before (using xfinity gateway). 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

What modem did you get?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Someone else called tridiep said this solved it for them on another thread, but I don't know what most of it means or how to do any of it. So, if anyone knows and can confirm that it helped them then here is what this person posted:

The issue has been resolved. I did the following not sure which one fixed the issue

Enable ipv6 offload

Disable net flow

ubnt@ubnt:~$ show ubnt offload

IP offload module : loaded
IPv4
forwarding: enabled
vlan : enabled
pppoe : enabled
gre : enabled
IPv6
forwarding: enabled
vlan : disabled
pppoe : enabled

IPSec offload module: loaded

Traffic Analysis :
export : disabled
dpi : disabled
version : 1.422

Now I can get full speed with xFI in bridge mode and my Endgerouter lite

And they posted it here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/xFI-is-not-getting-full-speed-in-bridge-mode/m-p/326...   at the bottom of the page.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Netgear 32 x 8 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem (CM1000). Worked great right away.

Highlighted
Contributor

New modem arrives tomorrow.  The node across the street needs fixed before I see any real benefit.  I have a ticket it for it, but it's hurry up and wait and see.