Community Forum

Gigabit service running at 600Mbps... Multiple calls (details)

Highlighted
Contributor

Gigabit service running at 600Mbps... Multiple calls (details)

3/13/19 - TL;DR - This morning at 600. I used the xFi App to issue a restart to my modem and I'm back at 950. Hope Tier 3 folks can find out why my connection package is being set to a lower speed. Curious how long this will stay at 950 as well.

3/12/20 - TL;DR - xfinity was autoprovisioning my modem for the 400Mbps tier even though my account has reflected the 1000Mbps teir for over a week.  This has been escalated to tier 3 support.  Today's Post 

I ordered 1000Mbps service... the modem showed up, I installed it, activated it, changed to bridge mode... I was only getting 600Mbps via https://speedtest.xfinity.com/.

I have a newly built gaming PC hardwired to my router -> modem.  No issues transfering at 1gig between my machines on my LAN.  My speedtests to xfinity have been up to 950 at times but not solid... story follows...

Ticket #1 - I called in, was on for probably and hour going through the dialogue/troubleshooting... eventually after all the stuff we tried, the tech pushed an 'advanced config' to my modem and after a restart I was at 950Mbps.

Ticket #2 - few days later - same issue - stuck at 600Mbps - call in - 30 minutes of dialogue and was then assured the tech will fix all issues. They told me that my gigabit service was not yet activated... even though they shipped me a modem, I activated it and was at 950Mbps prior. They told me that 30 minutes later, I should be good after they were going to make some changes. I was not good later on... still at 600Mbps.

Ticket #3 - I called in again and explained everything that's happened so far, they ran a few tests... at that time they scheduled a dispatch.

Tech visit - He proved out all coax from my modem location to the curb. All levels good, running clean.  He even put on a pad to fine tune to get me closer to the middle of the acceptable range. He put his xfinity speed test device on the modem and only hit 600Mbps.  At that time, the tech swapped to another modem he had in his truck(same model as the other) and with his test set hit 950Mbps.

All good...

Forward three days... new modem, running at 600Mbps....

Ticket #4 - Chatted with someone... explained all of the above. They told me they'd escalate to level 2 and if I got disconnected, they'd call me back.... they didn't call back.

Ticket #5 - I called back in and they had no record of that call 15 minutes ago.  They told me I had the wrong modem... even though they provided it. Was on for over 1.5 hours and asked for a manager...  spoke with a supervisor... he verified everything looks good config-wise and said I have a Technicolor modem CGM4140 and that I should try their Arris EG1682G to see if the different modem fixes it... both are used for XFINITY XB6 it sounds like? A tech is coming out tomorrow to swap modems.

Anyone ran in to this 600Mbps issue and had it resolved permanently?

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Gigabit service running at 600Mbps... Multiple calls (details)

I’m also having same type issues, except it’s been going on for 7 months no fix. And both gateways you listed is different from mine. Also xb6 how many different models of xb6 do they have? Holy cow
Highlighted
Expert

@somegeek wrote:

and that I should try their Arris EG1682G to see if the different modem fixes it... both are used for XFINITY XB6 it sounds like? A tech is coming out tomorrow to swap modems.

I don't know what the problem is, but one thing that I can tell you is that the Arris TG1682 is only a DOCSIS 3.0 capable (XB3) device, so it will never be able to deliver the gig speed tier. A DOCSIS 3.1 capable device is a must !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

Did you also see 950Mbps down from time to time as well?

@DeathVice67 wrote:
I’m also having same type issues, except it’s been going on for 7 months no fix. And both gateways you listed is different from mine. Also xb6 how many different models of xb6 do they have? Holy cow

Highlighted
Contributor

@EG wrote:

@somegeek wrote:

and that I should try their Arris EG1682G to see if the different modem fixes it... both are used for XFINITY XB6 it sounds like? A tech is coming out tomorrow to swap modems.

I don't know what the problem is, but one thing that I can tell you is that the Arris TG1682 is only a DOCSIS 3.0 capable (XB3) device, so it will never be able to deliver the gig speed tier. A DOCSIS 3.1 capable device is a must !

I will ask the tech about this.  Thanks!

Highlighted
Contributor

I have yet to see speeds over 700
Highlighted
Contributor

@DeathVice67 wrote:
I have yet to see speeds over 700

The xfinity tech that came out, talked to his boss and he said their spec is that anything over 929Mbps (or 939Mbps - can't recall) is considered gig.  You should be seeing that minimum or getting a credit for a service they can't deliver yet charge you for?

Highlighted
Expert

@somegeek wrote:

Did you also see 950Mbps down from time to time as well?

Yes. And you got that with a DOCSIS 3.1 capable device.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Contributor

Yes.yes. I’ve been given a generous amount of credits back for this situation which I do appreciate thank you Comcast but still incredibly irritated by what I’m reading that this xb6 modem isn’t good and I should buy my own yet I technically can’t or else they will charge me 50$ for unlimited data which isn’t fair.
Highlighted
Contributor

And I would take a stable connection at this point if anything. I’m getting neither stability or the speed I’m paying for lol
Highlighted
Contributor

@DeathVice67 wrote:
Yes.yes. I’ve been given a generous amount of credits back for this situation which I do appreciate thank you Comcast but still incredibly irritated by what I’m reading that this xb6 modem isn’t good and I should buy my own yet I technically can’t or else they will charge me 50$ for unlimited data which isn’t fair.

What credits are you getting?  I've gotten $20 twice now for these issues.

Highlighted
Contributor

20$ here and there
Highlighted
Contributor

The tech advised that the XB6 I had was the only modem they have that does 1G service and that this is a config issue on xfinity's end since I was at 950Mbps twice already.  He advised pushing on tech support to escalate.  He said this issue has existed for about nine months.

Highlighted
Contributor

So what exactly is the issue? The modem or Xfinity itself? He wants you to push the issue to what end? Did he give you a fix?
Highlighted
Contributor

@DeathVice67 wrote:
So what exactly is the issue? The modem or Xfinity itself? He wants you to push the issue to what end? Did he give you a fix?

Xfinity themselves regarding some config in the path.  The tech said there's not much he can do about the fix except to advise me to escalate.  His work is all physical and that's been proven out.  He's heard of this where they fix it for a few days and then it drops back down.  I've also read a few posts online about this same issue with no resolve.  

Highlighted
Contributor

Conversed with xfinity via twitter DM which was great to document the chat.  After back and forth for  few hours, they advised that getting a tech out here and pushing the matter there will be best so a tech will be back out tomorrow morning.

They did advise that in time they will provide me with the new XB7 modem to see if that remedies things however that won't be available for a bit still.

Sure helps to document the process to save time when reaching out again to share what's already been done... saves both of us time.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

This is some kind of bug with the comcast gateway/router.  I went through 3 and all had the same issue.  Just talked with my friend in Georgia, exact same issue.  Bridge mode, getting 550~650 max.

I switched to my own modem and now it's fine, but he can't do that because he needs the unlimited data you get with the comcast box.

Its some bug the box / new firmware or something they did recently.   Was using the CGM4140COM

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I looked up details on the Arris you posted about, it's actually the TG1682G  not EG.  It is only Docsis 3.0 not 3.1, so it will not get gigabit speed.  Not sure why they are having you try that out.

I found comcast actually has a new XB7 box the CGM4331, but this reviewer seems to have the same issue with in February it randomly went from gigabit to 500~600 tops.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/why-comcast%E2%80%99s-new-wi-fi-6-router-fails-i-spent-three-...

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

A Comcast chat rep just told me there's a Arris tg3482g, maybe that works.

Highlighted
Contributor

Wrong modem config being auto-pushed...

So another tech came out, verified all physical cabling. He was seeing between 450-500Mbps on his test set. Turns out a 400Mbps tier config was pushed to my modem even though I'm paying for and configured for 1000Mbps service on my account.  He suspects something with auto-provisioning is messed up and automating the push of the wrong config to my modem.  He put a new modem on and then reprovisioned it and I'm at 950Mbps now which is perfect.  He said the old modem, when reprovisioned, would have shown 950 but wanted to eliminate one more thing.

He gave me his cell number in case I have issues since he's following up with engineering / Tier 3 support on this.  Stoked something was found!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'm curious to see how it goes after a day of being in bridge mode.  When my tech came out and swapped my gateway for a 3rd one, I was getting 1gbps and then something happened overnight and it was back to 550 in the morining.

Did they put in another CGM4140 or did you get a tg3482g or CGM4331?

Highlighted
Contributor

@scott3667 wrote:

I'm curious to see how it goes after a day of being in bridge mode.  When my tech came out and swapped my gateway for a 3rd one, I was getting 1gbps and then something happened overnight and it was back to 550 in the morining.

I was wondering this as well.  I had the thought that if I dropped back down in speed, I'll run the reprovisioning on my end to see if it fixes it as a troubleshooting step.  And maybe run in router mode for a few days to see if that's stable as well.  I want to use my own router so don't want to double NAT so bridge mode is preferred.

The replaced it with the same model, CGM4140.

He said they don't have any XM7 deployed in this area and suspected they won't roll out for six months or so en-masse in this area.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Just purchased  the Orbi  RBR50 with 1 satellite  , put my comcast router in bridge mode , and I now am also running 620Mbs wired. Is xfinity throttling bandwidth if you don't use their router in non-bridge mode? 

Highlighted
Contributor

Was your speed drop to 650 right after you changed to bridge mode or a day or two later?

I run fine at 950Mbps in bridged mode.  It's taken a day or two to drop me to the lower speeds.  Seems suspect that bridge mode is a variable but will be testing this diligently over the next week.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

How are you doing the reprovisioning from your end?

Highlighted
Contributor

There's an xFi app on your phone you can use to activate XB6 modem when it first shows up.  I'm curious to see if I can 'reactivate' it on my end to see how that affects this. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

It seemed that the speed dropped as soon as I connected the orbi .... does the xfi router in bridge mode run slower??
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

That was my experience.  Enabling bridge mode it would drop down to 550~650.  ONE TIME I was able to do a bunch of power cycles re-plugs and get 1gbps again in bridge mode, and it only lasted a few hours.  I went to sleep satisfied and woke up to it being down to 650 again.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

There's no "thumbs down" icon.....
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Has anyone had faster speeds if they just buy there own modem ?
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

That's what I did.  bit the bullet and spent $160 on a Docsis3.1 modem.  Solid 1gig ever since.

Highlighted
Contributor

@chris_guay wrote:
It seemed that the speed dropped as soon as I connected the orbi .... does the xfi router in bridge mode run slower??

Not for me.  I switch to bridge mode and I'm still at 950.  Using a UniFi USG w/ 1000Gbps LAN connections throughout.

Highlighted
Contributor

@chris_guay wrote:
Has anyone had faster speeds if they just buy there own modem ?

There's a charge if you use your own modem in my area for either unlimited or 1000Mbps service.  I forget which.

Highlighted
New Poster

Same issue with 600 mbps circuit, supervisor said it says on xfinity speeds up to 600. So i asked what is the bare minimum which is acceptable bu xfinity and he said 300 mbps. He also said your speeds should fluctuate from 300 to 600 mbps. I asked his wording in writen and he failed to provide as it is in their database. So my plan is call them every month and get half refund on monthly charges and the supervisor also agreed to that.
Highlighted
Contributor

@Xxx4420 wrote:
Same issue with 600 mbps circuit, supervisor said it says on xfinity speeds up to 600. So i asked what is the bare minimum which is acceptable bu xfinity and he said 300 mbps. He also said your speeds should fluctuate from 300 to 600 mbps. I asked his wording in writen and he failed to provide as it is in their database. So my plan is call them every month and get half refund on monthly charges and the supervisor also agreed to that.

Chatting with xfinity support via DM in Twitter works well too since you can scroll up and see all chat that's transpired.

This morning my connection was back at 600Mbps. Yesterday it was at 950 in the afternoon and evening after the tech was here and a new config was pushed. This morning it's at 600 again. I switched the modem back to router mode(from bridge mode) so the xFi Android App could reach it to issue a restart to my modem and I'm back at 950. Hope Tier 3 folks can find out why my connection package is being set to a lower speed at night. Curious how long this will stay at 950 as well.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

When you restart / reactivate using the phone app does it leave it in bridge mode?

Highlighted
Contributor

@scott3667 wrote:

When you restart / reactivate using the phone app does it leave it in bridge mode?

Corrected my post.  I had to switch back to router mode so the xfi app could reload my modem.  Else I got an error message in the app stating I was in bridge mode and it could not reach my modem in bridge mode.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

The issue I was experiencing was only in bridge mode.  I could put it back to router mode and restart it myself by unplugging the power cable and it would go back to 950... and then as soon as putting it into Bridge it would be 600 again.

Highlighted
Contributor

This is good to know!  I'm back in bridge mode and at 950.  I expect it to drop to 600 tonight.  If so, will set to router mode tomorrow to reload via the xfi app and leave it in router mode to see how long it stays at 950.

Highlighted
Contributor

I'm having the same issues.  I'm only getting 600 speed, but I'm paying for 1Gb.

I just had a line tech come out and checked my modem.  He said it's like I'm on the wrong plan.  He went to go get me a new modem, but hasn't returned yet.  It's been over 2 hours now.

My friend is also having this issue.  He took it out of bridge mode and his speed went down to 200Mb.   He went back to bridge mode and he's back at 600Mb.

They need to update their phone center and technicians to this problem if it is indeed a firmware issue.

Highlighted
Contributor

@somegeek wrote:

This is good to know!  I'm back in bridge mode and at 950.  I expect it to drop to 600 tonight.  If so, will set to router mode tomorrow to reload via the xfi app and leave it in router mode to see how long it stays at 950.

Odd - I'm pretty sure I was in bridge mode last night.  In router mode this morning and at 950.  Will change to bridge mode tonight.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I swear they do this on purpose.
If I BUY a new modem ( recommendations?) Will it go back to 950+Mbps ? (What I am paying for) class action lawsuit maybe in the works....?
Highlighted
Contributor

So I had a great tech out yesterday.  My modem was locked out... Couldn't get into it at all.  It was also stuck in bridge mode.  They did a factory reset.  In router mode I'm over 900.  Put it in bridge mode and it won't let any equipment connect to it.  Put it back in router mode and I have full speed again. 

This morning I was getting over 900 still.  Went out in the elements and came back this afternoon.  Some tests over 900 and others above 850.  Seems to be a lot better.   We shall see how long it lasts.

Highlighted
Contributor

They don't do this on purpose, I believe they have some kind of auto provisioning going on that pushes the wrong config to our devices. still trying to nail down the behavior of it being in bridge mode and changing overnight to a lower speed.
Highlighted
Expert

Not necessarily.

If you’re still getting the normal upload, then it’s not a provisioning issue. It’s a firmware issue. In reality, if you’re just bridging the gateway and turning it into a modem, why not just buy your own?

Highlighted
Contributor

@jweaver0312 wrote:
Not necessarily.

If you’re still getting the normal upload, then it’s not a provisioning issue. It’s a firmware issue. In reality, if you’re just bridging the gateway and turning it into a modem, why not just buy your own?

Do you know how their systems work to know this with certainty?  The tech said a boot file for a slower speed service was pushed to my modem.

With unlimited caps, if you buy your own, you need to pay more to use it.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Just an FYI, I believe Bridge Mode disables the Gateway's ethernet ports.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

What?  No... it changes the role of the device, that's it.

And this morning back at 600Mbps after changing to bridge mode last night.  Gonna switch to router mode, restart via the xfi app to get back to 950Mbps and leave it to see how many days it behaves.

Interesting... changed back to router mode and it's at 950Mbps again without me issuing a restart via the xfi app.

Highlighted
Expert

@somegeek wrote:

@jweaver0312 wrote:
Not necessarily.

Do you know how their systems work to know this with certainty?  The tech said a boot file for a slower speed service was pushed to my modem.

With unlimited caps, if you buy your own, you need to pay more to use it.

Bridge Mode does not alter your boot file in any way. Like you said yourself, it only chnages its use mode.

If you still are able to obtain 35 Mbps, then you still have the Gigabit boot file as it is the only boot file that permits upload speed like that.

Highlighted
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

It disables all other ports except for port number 1.