Nashman12South's profile

Contributor

• 

137 Messages

Wednesday, February 3rd, 2021 8:00 AM

Closed

Extra X1 Gateway

A couple of visits from Xfinity have failed to deliver speeds approaching the 1000mbps we are paying for, which leaves a distant part of house with even lower speeds. The newest pods have helped, but not enought. Can you request (and pay for) another gateway for that area? 

Are there other options to try to get a decently strong signal to another part of a house?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

Most local markets will not allow two modems to be used at one address. It's best to call in to see what the local policy is. Even if they do allow it you will need to pay for two accounts (twice what you are paying for HSI now).

Powerline ethernet or MoCA adapters may be an option for you. Google for more info.

Contributor

• 

137 Messages

3 years ago

In reading, I would need 2 adapters. One at the Gateway and one at the coax connection in the bedroom in question. Does this work with the latest Gateway without degrading the signal much? Has this worked for folks? Do I really need to buy 2 adapters?

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

If the gateway has a MoCA feature, then you only need an adapter at the remote location.

Contributor

• 

137 Messages

3 years ago

How do I find this out? It's the xFi Advanced Gateway, Model CGM4331COM, white with the sloped top that came out last January. I got it in September. 

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

FWIW, MoCA is faster and more reliable than are powerline ethernet adapters. They have the gig speed tier.

Contributor

• 

26 Messages

3 years ago

Wires work! If you already have coax in place, MOCA is the way to go, but in my experience a bit fiddly to get set up.  You might try Powerline Ethernet adapaters, some of which have a WiFi option. I have heard of people having trouble getting them to work, others love them. Although it is a pain, you can always run ethernet to where you need it. It is not difficult, but crawling around in the crawl space is no fun. When I decided to do it, I went ahead and ran a cable to a jack in every room in the house, even though they were unused at the time.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here