Ganzooks's profile

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

Thursday, February 20th, 2020 7:00 AM

Closed

Download speeds unequal

Two laptops, running Windows 10, same home network.  Both connected by ethernet to latest Xfinity modem with Extreme Pro speed plan (should get upwards of 500 Mbps).

Older of two getting expected download speed.  Newer laptop still getting 95 Mbps.

Switched ethernet cable from faster to slower laptop.  Speed test yielded same 95 Mbps speed.

C/Xf finds nothing wrong with speed I'm getting.  Says problem may be with the PC.  This is cost prohibitive to get support from Microsoft or Dell.  They also say I can switch out my modem at no cost from their retail store, but it might later require a home service visit to configure properly ($70!).

Looking for any suggestions how to proceed.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

The ethernet hardware/connection/driver might be limiting the throughput speed.  Is there an update available for the ethernet driver?

You might check out/compare your ethernet adapter capabilities in both systems:

1 Attachment

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Not sure where I would look for that?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

Are you able to go into Device Manager (via right-click Windows Start button) and look at Properties of your Network Adapter?  It may be limited to 100Mbps (Speed and Duplex setting).

2 Attachments

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

@Ganzooks wrote:

Sorry. Didn't see the rest of yourresponse. Will check it out

I was editing (three dots upper right of post) my response as things came to mind.

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Sorry. Didn't see the rest of yourresponse. Will check it out

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

The main difference between the two is that one (that's getting the faster, correct speed) shows the Internet access connection as "Local Area connection," while the other's (slower speed) connection says only "Ethernet."

Chew on that, if you will

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

My settings interface isn't quite like yours, but I did find Network Properties for both devices.  Indeed, there is a discrepency in the Link speed.  The slower one caps at 100 Mbps, and the faster one at 1000 Mbps.

Not sure how to change the link speed property?

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Joe, really appreciate your guidance.  I need to break off for a while, but I'll explore some more later for where I can change the link speed settings (I think it's there, and I'm close).

I don't think I need to update the network adapter driver since drivers are updated automatically on my PC.

Will be in touch...

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

@Ganzooks wrote:

My settings interface isn't quite like yours, but I did find Network Properties for both devices.  Indeed, there is a discrepency in the Link speed.  The slower one caps at 100 Mbps, and the faster one at 1000 Mbps.

Not sure how to change the link speed property?

Maybe screen shots might help of what you're seeing.  There isn't a drop-down in Properties->Link Speed where you can select speed/duplex?  Mine allows choosing Auto Negotiation, 10Mbs, Half or Full Duplex or 100Mbps, Half or Full Duplex along with 1000Mbps, Full Duplex.  What is your actual network adapter device description (mfr/model)? Below is a snapshot of my Windows 10 version on my HP desktop.

1 Attachment

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here