qking's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, September 13th, 2020 4:00 PM

Closed

Download speed seems locked at maximum 15 Mbps

My Xfinity statement and the Xfinity website indicate that I'm paying for 70 Mbps service:

"Internet:  PERFORMANCE INTERNET  Your Plan:  Internet 70 Mbps"

However, the Xfinity speed test consistently maxes out at a download speed of 15 Mbps.  This is over a direct-wired connection to the modem and has been consistent over several weeks, and across different days/times/devices.  It always runs right up to 15, and then stops.

My (owned) modem, an SB6141, shows a configuration file being loaded:

"SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_m_sb6141_priceforlife12_c01.cm"

without any errors.  Is it possible that this configuration file is limiting my download speeds?  I was certainly hoping that "price for life" did not mean "no speed increases for life."  The billing statements seem to confirm that I should be able to expect higher speeds.  

I am not interested in purchasing a higher-speed plan, but would like to be able to take advantage of the full bandwidth on the current plan.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Update:  A knowledgeable tech came out today to check things.  Within 5 minutes, he identified the problem and "updated the boot file."  I'm now getting the 70 Mbps that's in line with the speed specified on my statement.    

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

I've been here for 17 years and I have never ever seen a config / bootfile with that naming convention before.... I have no idea what speed tier that this corresponds to.... I know that this comment doesn't help you but I felt that I had to mention it.....

Comcast. The eternal mystery....

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

Glad you got it sorted out !! Now closing this thread.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here