slleibowithz's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

Saturday, February 13th, 2021 10:00 AM

Closed

Docsis 3.1

Hi, I have just replaced my modem with docs 3.1  My connection speed is 200MB.  Do I have to purchase higher speeds to take advantage of this?  Thanks

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

You can now get up to a gig down if you wish since you have upgraded to a DOCSIS 3.1 capable modem.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

3 years ago

D3.1 allows you higher speeds, but you don't need to pay more if you don't need the extra speed. The OFDM channel that D3.1 adds is always used, no matter what package you have. It just gives you more than enough headroom that you should get your rated speed most any time instead of possibly slowing down during busy times.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

@andyross wrote:

The OFDM channel that D3.1 adds is always used, no matter what package you have. It just gives you more than enough headroom that you should get your rated speed most any time instead of possibly slowing down during busy times.

My understanding is that the OFDM channel is used exclusively for the delivery of the gig speed tier. The other QAM256 channels are used for the delivery of the balance of the speed tiers. I got this info from a DOCSIS / RF engineer at Comcast. Please correct me if this is incorrect or has been changed.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

3 years ago

Interesting. But then why even allow access to OFDM if it's not going to be used?

I put a post here to see if somebody might have an answer:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33033493-Connectivity-Is-OFDM-used-even-if-you-have-sub-gig-package

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

@andyross wrote:

Interesting. But then why even allow access to OFDM if it's not going to be used?

I can't possibly answer your question. I'm not employed by them as an engineer.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here