g-hodgson's profile

Contributor

• 

256 Messages

Monday, December 14th, 2020 11:00 AM

Closed

Delayed Ethernet Connection

Hoping someone here can help with an issue I recently started having.

I have Xfinity's CGM4140COM gateway and the 1000 Mbps speed plan. I have my 1-year old HP deskstop, running the latest version of Windows 10, connected directly to the gateway via ethernet. About a week ago, I noticed that whenever I awaken the HP from the sleep mode, it takes 10-15 seconds for the PC to connect to the internet. Up until last week, the PC would connect almost instantaneously. I've rebooted the PC and power reset the gateway. I ran the Xfinity Speed Test just for the heck of it, and it's fine.

I'm wondering if this is more of a Windows, HP, driver or settings issue, rather than a gateway issue?

While it's not a major issue, it is kind of a pain when you're used to just hopping on the keyboard and jumping on the internet. Waiting a few seconds is not big deal, but 10-15 seconds isn't right.

Anyway, would welcome any thoughts/input out there.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

Curious if you ever found a solution to this, as I have the same Gateway and started running into the exact same problem earlier this week. Desktop is running a fully updated Windows 10.

Contributor

• 

256 Messages

3 years ago

Unfortunately, I haven't found a solution. I've tried the simple stuff: Power reset the Gateway; rebooted the PC; and reset the network in Windows 10. And the delay is pretty consistently about 35 seconds, versus the 10-15 seconds in my original post.

I have been searching online and found another person with the same problem. He posted just 2 days ago. He also has Xfinity internet, though I don't know what Gateway he's using. I replied to the post to let him know he wasn't alone!

Ethernet slow to connect after sleep or reboot - Windows 10 Forums (tenforums.com)

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

It is definitely a strange and frustrating issue that seemingly popped up out of thin air. As of this morning, my delay is right around the 30 second mark. I have gone through a number of troubleshooting steps, including the ones mentioned by you and the person on the other forum experiecing the same delay. I am going to keep looking into it when I have some free time and will come back to this post if I magically stumble upon a solution.

At least it is driving me a little less crazy now that I know there are a few other people in the same boat as me.

Contributor

• 

256 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks, Raipher.

Update: Today I dusted off my 9-year old HP Windows 7 laptop. I remembered that it has an ethernet port so I figured it was worth a try to see what happened. I used a different ethernet cable, too. Guess what? Same 35 second delay in identifying and connecting to the internet. I tested it two ways. First was to bring it out of the sleep mode. Second was to just disconnect the ethernet cable, then plug it back in. 35 second delay no matter what.

I suspect that most people are using the wireless connection these days, which might be the reason we're not hearing more complaints. Since the Gateway sits right next to the desktop, I use the ethernet connection for the fast speed (close to 1G).

At this point, I'm unsure if it is a Windows problem based upon my little test today.

Btw, I invited the user from the Windows Ten Forums to join this thread, since he also has Xfinity. Might help get to the bottom of this.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Hey I’m the guy dropping in from the other forums. I’m beginning to suspect the router at this point. Or a combo of the router and windows. Another user from the Microsoft forums has commented the same thing saying they are using the xb6 router. The gray rectangle/cube with the slanted top. Has anyone tried upgrading to the new xb7 router?

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

I am also convinced this an issue on Xfinity's end with the XB6 Gateway. Took a page out Greg's book and tested out a laptop running a previous version of Windows, in this case it was Windows 8, and I experienced the exact same 30-35 second delay with identifying the network when connected via ethernet. This would seem to rule out it being specific issue tied to a recent Windows 10 update.

I actually tried to request the XB7 a little while back, but they were having stock issues at the time. Not sure if that is still the situation. Might have to look into it again if this issue persists. I have pretty much tried eveything else at this point when it comes to troubleshooting. I even temporarily installed a separate PCIE gigabit network adapter into my dekstop in order to rule out there being an issue with my motherboards' ethernet port. Same exact delay greeted me.

Contributor

• 

256 Messages

3 years ago

Welcome aboard, AlaphaXray. Glad you joined us from the Windows Ten Forum!

I haven't "upgraded" to the XB7 yet. Matter of fact, I just got the XB6 earlier this year. Was working great up until recently. From what I've read, the XB7 has it's issues, too. Go figure.

Thanks a million for the input, Raipher!

Xfinity, are you monitoring these posts? You have customers out here with issue.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Well guys,  I kind of hate for this to be a solution.  But I went to my local xfinity store (lucky enough to have one relatively close) and updated to the xb7 modem/router.  It appears to have resolved the issue.  On restart it comes up immediately.  When waking from sleep it takes about 2 to 3 seconds to switch from the globe to the network icon.  I can login and get on the internet immediately.  There was no hastle as far as the upgrade went.  I just asked and they gave it to me, so no issues there.  Hopefully this fix lasts.  i also wanted the router for WiFi 6, so I guess I'm happy I was kind of forced into getting it.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

Appreciate the update. I have two of their retail stores within 10 miles of me, so I am hoping one of them has the XB7 in stock, so that I can avoid having to wait for them to ship it to me. In any event, hopefully it does the trick for me as well. It is still rather annoying that seemingly the only fix for this is to upgrade the equipment when it really should not be necessary.

Contributor

• 

256 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for the update, guys.

Agreed, upgrading the gateway to fix this shouldn't be necessary. Comcast obviously downloaded something that changed the operation of our XB6s. Next week I'll try reaching out to tech support to see if I can get it resolved. If I have to swap out the gateway, so be it.

Raipher: If you do upgrade to the XB7, could you drop a line and let us know if it fixed your problem?

Problem Solver

• 

982 Messages

3 years ago

I also have Xfinity's CGM4140COM gateway and a 2-year old HP deskstop, running the latest version of Windows 10, connected directly to the gateway via ethernet. About a week ago, I noticed that whenever I awaken the HP from the sleep mode, it takes 20-30 seconds for the PC to connect to the internet. Up until last week, the PC would connect almost instantaneously. I've rebooted the PC and power reset the gateway.

While it's not a major issue, it is kind of a pain when you're used to just hopping on the keyboard and jumping on the internet. Waiting a few seconds is not big deal, but 20-30 seconds isn't right. Is it only the Technicolor XB6 the one that starts with CGM or is it the Arris XB6 Also ?????????????????????

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

So, neither of the two Xfinity stores near me currently have the XB7 gateway in stock and are not sure when it might be available. What I think I am going to do is see if I can grab an Arris XB6 instead of the Technicolor one. If the problem still persists, I will most likely end up having an XB7 shipped out to me unless this issue resolves itself. 

While I definitely agree this is not a major problem, it is something that should not be happening, and it would be nice if someone from Xfinity would at least recognize that multiple customers are running into the exact same thing and at least try to do something about it.

Contributor

• 

256 Messages

3 years ago

Figures they wouldn't have the XB7. And I agree about Comcast acknowledging the problem. Whatever they did to mess-up these modems happened within the last week or so and shouldn't be hard to fix.

Contributor

• 

256 Messages

3 years ago

Don't know. I have the Technicolor 1G model (starts with CGM). I believe both Raipher and AlphaXray do too. Actually, Alpha swapped his out yesterday for the new XB7 and it's working correctly now. Hopefully Comcast doesn't mess with the settings and mess up his new modem!

Contributor

• 

83 Messages

3 years ago

I also have this problem. Takes about 35 secs to get an ethernet connection when my desktop wakes up from sleep. This started around 7 days ago. 

Similar to others who have posted about this, my desktop runs Windows 10 (fully updated). My gateway is a CGM4140COM (I believe this is what others have referred to as XB6). 

As noted here, I"m certain that this problem is due to a recent firmware update from Comcast. It cannot be the case that all of our gateway units have had hardware failures at the same time.

I won't bother to get another XB6 from the store because I'm sure that this "fix" will be quite temporary-- a unit from the store will be running older firmware (which will work fine) but some number of days after installation the tainted firmware update will be downloaded automatically.  I'm not interested in getting the XB7 at this time based of various issues I've read about with this new device... I'm not interested in dealing with a new set of bugs.

This problem is quite annoying and it should be easy for Comcast to fix.  Do Comcast techs read these postings? Along with others who have asked, I'll add my voice: How can we get their attention? 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here